Where can I buy a high powered launch controller?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a high powered launch controller, something with enough power to ignite clusters. Pratt hobbies is a no-go. There’s something wrong with their website. I already have the Estes PSll controller but thats only good enough to get 18mm off the ground. I need more power.
Any suggestions?

Las Vegas, NV
Oh, buddy! I'm starting to downsize and just cancelled out flying Jean (love that range!) due to Dr. appt. I can dig out something maybe shippable. You would have to figure out your power supply. I also have a 6 pad unit, but it's wired for UPS batteries via industrial (think fork lift) connector. I drag it out every once in while (huh...last Plaster Blaster, dang!) for use on the low power pads when we have big student groups launching that fire all day. It handles HPR quite well, but may be overkill for you. (plus, I have to find the key!)

Last edited:
Im looking to buy a high powered launch controller, something with enough power to ignite clusters. Pratt hobbies is a no-go. There’s something wrong with their website. I already have the Estes PSll controller but thats only good enough to get 18mm off the ground. I need more power.
Any suggestions?
Put a LiPo in your PSII controller and you'll be in good shape.

Why can the PSII controller not handle larger than 18mm engines as stated in your OP?

An Estes controller won't work for high power as you can't pump enough power through the small wires due to the distance involved. For example, you need to be at least 100 feet away from an H powered rocket.

I have 100’ feet of wire I attached to the PSll controller. It will ignited H and I motors with no problem. But as far as clusters go, your not guaranteed to ignite every motor. I need something that produces 12 volts. Pratt hobbies looks like they have some solid controllers but my iPhone keeps telling me that the website is at risk of identity thieves and wont let me buy anything. And I cannot find another vendor who sells something similar.

Take a look at the PSII controller mod that Dane Ronnow did on the link I provided. He hacked his controller and added pigtails that he connects to a 12V battery, and then 100' of extension cord (14 or 16 awg) to get that current to the pad/igniter.

You can also get a LiPo 4S battery that when fully charged is supplying 14+ volts... Swap that in place of the existing dry cells in your PSII controller if you don't go the pigtail route.

Any suggestions?

Pratt Hobbies website is fine.

http://pratt-hobbies.com/
Mike

Doghouse Rocketry (aka Binder Design) used to sell one, but I can't get to their site right now. Lots of videos on YouTube for how to make your own.

An Estes controller won't work for high power as you can't pump enough power through the small wires due to the distance involved.
FWIW, the Pratt Go Box is wired with 24 AWG internally and externally. That's why I decided to modify my existing Estes PSII (referred to above by @David_Stack) instead of buying the Go Box.

I checked the site and Binder/Doghouse no longer lists any launch controller or relay box.

FWIW I think you should absolutely use a relay box, especially if you want to fire clusters with Aerotech style starters, since the complex rocket minimum distances are much greater than if you are not clustering. CTI motors use e-matches that only need ~500 mA each, but the AT ones need more. Combined with the needed distance, it makes a relay almost mandatory. At NARAM-61 the HPR launch controller had 200ft of nominally 16ga wire (without relay) and could barely light *one* Aerotech starter.

Doghouse Rocketry (aka Binder Design) used to sell one, but I can't get to their site right now. Lots of videos on YouTube for how to make your own.

The OP has purchased a Pratt Hobbies Full Boost Launch System... see post #14

Thank all of you. I was able to get my order through with pratt hobbies. I got the full boost hand held controller. With a couple strands of wire.

Take a look at the PSII controller mod that Dane Ronnow did on the link I provided. He hacked his controller and added pigtails that he connects to a 12V battery, and then 100' of extension cord (14 or 16 awg) to get that current to the pad/igniter.
I never heard of quick burst before. It is now saved to my Home Screen though.
You can also get a LiPo 4S battery that when fully charged is supplying 14+ volts... Swap that in place of the existing dry cells in your PSII controller if you don't go the pigtail route.
I bought my PSII controller off amazon and

I checked the site and Binder/Doghouse no longer lists any launch controller or relay box.

FWIW I think you should absolutely use a relay box, especially if you want to fire clusters with Aerotech style starters, since the complex rocket minimum distances are much greater than if you are not clustering. CTI motors use e-matches that only need ~500 mA each, but the AT ones need more. Combined with the needed distance, it makes a relay almost mandatory. At NARAM-61 the HPR launch controller had 200ft of nominally 16ga wire (without relay) and could barely light *one* Aerotech starter.
Dave, going to Springfest? Heard from KenRico lately? Lost his #.

200 ft down and back? Or 200 ft from the controller to the pad?
Ive ignited several aerotech first fires with a 100’ 14 gauge wire. With six C Duracell’s.
Why would you need 200’? That must been a pain in the butt to roll though.

200 ft down and back? Or 200 ft from the controller to the pad?
200ft from controller to pad

Why would you need 200’? That must been a pain in the butt to roll though.

Minimum distance per safety code for a K motor is 200 ft, 300 for an L or complex K, 500 ft for M. This is why all HPR clubs I can think of use a relay or wireless relay system.

... Pratt hobbies looks like they have some solid controllers but my iPhone keeps telling me that the website is at risk of identity thieves and wont let me buy anything. And I cannot find another vendor who sells something similar.
Pratt Hobbies website is fine.http://pratt-hobbies.com/Mike
Read post #10
Sorry , just trying to be helpful.
Mike

And you were helpful.

That's a problem with the phone.. not the website.

Back