When your space rocket takes the morning train

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeltrains

Reaction score
I don't know whether everybody knows that or not, Soyuz rockets are hauled by train to their launch pad.

Even though I have a few trains in large scale, "G scale" from the German word for large, also termed garden railway scale, with a 45mm track gauge and 30 inch long locomotives which weigh 12 pounds, I've not built a train car for hauling model rockets on.

NASA HQ PHOTO Expedition 71 Soyuz Rollout (NHQ202403180006) The Soyuz rocket is rolled out by train to the launch pad at Site 31, Monday, March 18, 2024, at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. Expedition 71 NASA astronaut Tracy Dyson, Roscosmos cosmonaut Oleg Novitskiy, and Belarus spaceflight participant Marina Vasilevskaya are scheduled to launch aboard their Soyuz MS-25 spacecraft on March 21. Photo Credit: (NASA/Bill Ingalls

I don't know whether everybody knows that or not, Soyuz rockets are hauled by train to their launch pad.

Even though I have a few trains in large scale, "G scale" from the German word for large, also termed garden railway scale, with a 45mm track gauge and 30 inch long locomotives which weigh 12 pounds, I've not built a train car for hauling model rockets on.

But you absolutely could/should.

Get enough street track to go from your tent, all the way out to the launchpad and take a video of your rocket being transported out

There's also an American offering in the form of NLAX, the NASA Railroad short line at Kennedy Space Center, not used to carry full-up rockets but at least for some booster stages plus other supplies. Tempting to make models from that as well.

For the full-up stack with ground support equipment, there are also ULA's SLC-41 at KSC and SLC-6 at Vandenberg, both supported on double railroad tracks. Now one of those would be a trip to model. Also a trek.

Back