Wheel Balancing needed for my 'odd' rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Desert Rocketry

Reaction score
I was needing a support for a project I'm working on and found my 'Odd Rocket' sitting out in the weeds would be the perfect support. After finishing the project, I noticed that the odd rocket was still in 'flyable' condition after sitting for almost two years in the desert heat, rain and snow. Not surprising as it was sitting for who knows how long in the desert having been discarded by some desert traveler. We have hundreds (thousands?) of these potential rockets all over the desert and I picked mine up returning from a ROC launch.

CIMG2243(1) Odd Rocket.jpg

The object of the odd rocket was to fly 100' for a competition but as you can see from the video, it came up short. My intent was for it to land upright with a parachute but it did not go high enough to deploy. As you can see from the fight, a little wheel balancing is needed. I can't remember now if it was a G or H motor but the next will be with a K motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGZWFTAtY0

For being a relatively 'heavy' rocket, transport was quite easy since one merely held on to the motor casing and walked it along as it rolled on its tread. It would require little modification to convert it to a rocket transport simply install a 5" tube and insert your rocket nose cone first and guide it by holding on to the airframe as you walk. With the addition of another tire it could perhaps become the ultimate 'spool rocket'. I have also used it as a camera tripod, a static motor test stand for my sugar motors, a weight to keep tarps from blowing away, etc.

Rick

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back