What's in your Range Box?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is our check list for the Plano range box. There may be a few extras in it, but we check everything off before we pack it in the trailer.

Plano Box

ITEMField1
1/4" Tamiya Tape
AT wrench
Batteries6V, 9V and Button
battery testers9v, lipo and button
Black powderfunnel and measuring cups
Black powder muzzle loadercheck powder level
CA glue
cable cutter supplies
clippers
cutting board
Delay DrillsAT and CTI
electrical Tape
Elmers glue
exacto knife
expoxy5 minute with nozzles and mixing stick
flashlights
Gloves
green tape3/4" and 1"
long forceps
olfa knifeextra blades
pens and pencils and sharpies
Plastic Glue
Q-tips
rubber bands
sanding dowls
sanding paper
scissors
scotch tape
Shear pins and hammer toolboth sizes
Small & needle nose pliers
small altimetersestes and adept
Small pry barforked
Small reversible screwdriver
Super Lube
Tracker and transmitters
Wadding
Wet wipes
Wire Ties

This list is kept in an Access data base with a large list of activities, including rocket launches. Different launches require different equipment. Airfest is a big research launch, while NSL is commercial loads and smaller rockets, so we have saved lists from previous years that we copy and amend each year.
Having a 26 ft. toy hauler and a one ton GMC Sierra 4x4 gives us a lot of flexibility.

IMG_4607.JPG
We bring a lot of stuff to a launch.
IMG_9809.JPG

This is our check list for the Plano range box. There may be a few extras in it, but we check everything off before we pack it in the trailer.

Plano Box

ITEMField1
1/4" Tamiya Tape
AT wrench
Batteries6V, 9V and Button
battery testers9v, lipo and button
Black powderfunnel and measuring cups
Black powder muzzle loadercheck powder level
CA glue
cable cutter supplies
clippers
cutting board
Delay DrillsAT and CTI
electrical Tape
Elmers glue
exacto knife
expoxy5 minute with nozzles and mixing stick
flashlights
Gloves
green tape3/4" and 1"
long forceps
olfa knifeextra blades
pens and pencils and sharpies
Plastic Glue
Q-tips
rubber bands
sanding dowls
sanding paper
scissors
scotch tape
Shear pins and hammer toolboth sizes
Small & needle nose pliers
small altimetersestes and adept
Small pry barforked
Small reversible screwdriver
Super Lube
Tracker and transmitters
Wadding
Wet wipes
Wire Ties

This list is kept in an Access data base with a large list of activities, including rocket launches. Different launches require different equipment. Airfest is a big research launch, while NSL is commercial loads and smaller rockets, so we have saved lists from previous years that we copy and amend each year.
Having a 26 ft. toy hauler and a one ton GMC Sierra 4x4 gives us a lot of flexibility.

View attachment 437453
We bring a lot of stuff to a launch.
View attachment 437455

Access database?! That is professional - love it!

Hauled my new range box out to the field this weekend, worked great!!

Thanks to everyone for contributing to the list, great refinements!

Attachments

• IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 57
Coupe of items that should be added, Small Fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. Not just for yourself but in case a fellow rocketeer needs help. Better to have it and not need it.....etc etc.

back in 2012 a guy saved the day with a hacksaw. I can't remember why I had to have it but it was the reason I was able to get my Level 1 Cert.

I always pack my gas-powered Portasol soldering iron and some solder. It did manage to fix a launch controller one day when a cable was pulled out of the connector.
Ditto here. Much better then any battery/USB powered soldering pencil, especially when the temperature at the field drops below 50° F.

Other items found in my range box:
AMTECH No-Clean Solder Flux (Link)
Klein Tools Zippered Tool Bag (Link)
12" Drive Bit Extension (Link)
Eklind T-Handle Allen Wrenches (Link)
SkyRC iMAX B6AC LiPo Charger (Link)
Bic Lighter

Note: Every launch I attend is a long drive so my range box is always stuffed. I also drag my "bring everywhere backpack" to launches, which has items like my laptop, USB power pack, various USB cables, etc...

Last edited:
I always pack my gas-powered Portasol soldering iron and some solder. It did manage to fix a launch controller one day when a cable was pulled out of the connector.

Ditto here. Much better then any battery/USB powered soldering pencil, especially when the temperature at the field drops below 50° F.

Other items found in my range box:
AMTECH No-Clean Solder Flux (Link)
Klein Tools Zippered Tool Bag (Link)
12" Drive Bit Extension (Link)
Eklind T-Handle Allen Wrenches (Link)
SkyRC iMAX B6AC LiPo Charger (Link)
Bic Lighter

Note: Every launch I attend is a long drive so my range box is always stuffed. I also drag my "bring everywhere backpack" to launches, which has items like my laptop, USB power pack, various USB cables, etc...

Whoa - talk about spooky serendipity - someone needed to solder something at the field this weekend and no one had a portable soldering iron. I picked up this Dremel butane kit today before I read these posts. (Queue twilight zone theme music...) 😱

PXL_20201124_191040255.jpg

I'm still fairly new to this.
My range bow really is a cardboard box. I'm trying to decide if I want a tackle box or a tool chest.
I know a lot of people bring glue, tools, etc., but if I have a chute failure and something gets broken, I just launch something else and wait till I get home to fix it.
I carry spare batteries for my launcher.
I've already had to borrow a screw-on cap for an Estes motor retainer, so I try and bring a spare cap or two.
A variety of motors and extra ignitors.
Parachute protection. Foam plugs and paper.
A piece of dowel to shove wadding into the body.
Sandpaper to clean off electrical contacts.
Things to space the rocket off the heat shield.
Sometimes I get to the launch site and find that the launch lug doesn't slide over the rod very well, so I bring something to clean out the ends of the lugs. Sometimes I just use a car key.

My range bow really is a cardboard box. I'm trying to decide if I want a tackle box or a tool chest.
I know a lot of people bring glue, tools, etc., but if I have a chute failure and something gets broken, I just launch something else and wait till I get home to fix it.
I carry spare batteries for my launcher.
I've already had to borrow a screw-on cap for an Estes motor retainer, so I try and bring a spare cap or two.
A variety of motors and extra ignitors.
Parachute protection. Foam plugs and paper.
A piece of dowel to shove wadding into the body.
Sandpaper to clean off electrical contacts.
Things to space the rocket off the heat shield.
Sometimes I get to the launch site and find that the launch lug doesn't slide over the rod very well, so I bring something to clean out the ends of the lugs. Sometimes I just use a car key.

For me, it wasn't until I started launching bigger high power rockets that I started bringing everything and the kitchen sink to launches. The two big drivers were driving distance and necessity. The closest place I can launch HPRs is at least a 2 hour drive and to launch anything looking like a Level 2 rocket, I need to drive about 3-4 hours, minimum. If you are going to invest in a 4-8 hour round trip to launch rockets, you want to make sure you have the ability to deal with contingencies. That is coupled with the necessity of having to build/configure/assemble at the field and deal with a component or 7 that decides to break while it has been traveling in the bed of your pick up truck for the past 4 hours. Once you have trooped the line at the field cursing the whole time because your snap ring pliers are sitting on your kitchen table and, unfathomably, somehow, no one else at the field has a pair either, you make it a personal vow to tow your entire house with you every time. I am not saying that has happened to me... ;)

Extra igniters. I have been helped out in the past by other rocketeers with this, but now I carry my own. FYI the standard eMatches can be used to light BP motors by just sitting them in the nozzle.

Oh, yeah man - once you start dipping your own igniters/matches, it becomes a completely separate hobby in and of itself.

Rocketry is not a hobby. It is 15 separate hobbies that all come together on the launch pad.

I was trying to keep the first post updated as people made suggestions, but it is no longer open for me to edit.

I take a solar USB charger (or two) as an easy way to charge altimeters, JLCR, cell phone, etc. I have a few that range in size from 6" x 8" to about 8" x 14"

My range box is the Plano 1364. The dimensions are about 13" Wide x 10" Deep x 17" High. It comes with four latchable drawers behind the translucent front cover.

1608133948358.png

I can fit all of the tools, bit and pieces I need in there along with my 24 and 29 mm AT motor cases.

Last edited:
My range bow really is a cardboard box. I'm trying to decide if I want a tackle box or a tool chest....

If you fly mostly LPR, any decent sized plastic tool box will work well. I would suggest getting one that is larger then you currently need. Your collection of tools and supplies will grow exponentially to your level of interest/participation in this hobby.

In 2017 my range was a DollarTree plastic tote.
Plastic Tote.jpg
In less then 3 years it morphed into something bigger --->>> (Link)

If you fly mostly LPR, any decent sized plastic tool box will work well. I would suggest getting one that is larger then you currently need. Your collection of tools and supplies will grow exponentially to your level of interest/participation in this hobby.

In 2017 my range was a DollarTree plastic tote.

In less then 3 years it morphed into something bigger --->>> (Link)

Couldn't agree more! When I started this thread a couple months ago, I had just purchased the Milwaukee Packout system with a few components. Since then I have added 3 more modules and I am still running out of space. I have dragged this setup through gravel, mud, dirt, sod fields, corn fields, etc and it has worked very, very well. Now that it has about 4 launches under it's belt, I have refined the load out so it is suited perfectly to what I plan to fly on a given day. Very happy with this modular system.

Also, it is water proof, so when I get home, I just close the latches and hose it down. And the latch system is very robust. I traveled 4 hours each way on the highway to MDRA this past weekend with this in the back of a pickup truck doing up to 80 MPH and it didn't flinch.

PXL_20201215_171243938.jpg

I checked with Chuck @cwbullet and he confirmed I can't change the original post anymore, so, for those of you playing at home, here is the checklist thus far, incorporating your suggestions. Also attaching it in PDF and Excel, so you can download and edit for your own use. Tried to upload a Word doc, but that file format is not allowed. You can cut and paste out of Excel to Word if you need that format.

• All Launches:
    • Adhesives
      • 5-Minute epoxy
      • CA & Accelerator
      • Elmers / White Glue / Wood Glue
    • Alcohol / Acetone / Solvent
    • Cameras
      • Digital SLR
      • Go Pro / Video Camera
      • Rocket body cameras
    • Clamps
    • Compressed Air
    • Cutting board
    • Dog Barf / Wadding
    • Drill / Electric Screwdriver
      • Drill Bits / Screwdriver bits
    • Elastic bands
    • Flashlight / Headlamp
    • Fly-away rails
    • Garbage Bags
    • Hack saw
    • Hobby/X-Acto knife / Scalpel
    • Igniters
    • Launch lugs
    • Lighter
    • Microfiber towels
    • Mixing sticks
    • Motors
      • Motor Retainer caps
    • NAR/Tripoli cards
    • Paper
    • Paper towels
    • Parachutes
    • Pens/Pencil / Sharpies
    • Plastic cement
    • Pliers (Regular, Needlenose , hemostat, snap ring, etc)
    • Portable Soldering iron / Soldering kit
    • Powder Brush
    • Push rods / sticks, pry bar
    • Qtips
    • Rail buttons
    • Rice Bags / Weights to hold down parachutes, paper, etc
    • Rubber bands
    • Ruler / Tape measure
    • Sandpaper / Emory Cloth
    • Sanding Dowels
    • Scissors
    • Screwdriver sets (large, small, mini, hex, torx)
    • Shock Cord
    • Spare parts / Hardware
    • Talc Powder
    • Taps & Dies
    • Tape (various sizes as needed)
      • Aluminum
      • Double sided
      • Duct
      • Electrical
      • Kapton
      • Masking
      • Mylar
      • Scotch
      • Tamiya
    • Tarp / Ground Mat / Blanket
    • Toothpicks
    • Tweezers / Forceps
    • Utility knife / Box Cutter
    • Wet Wipes
    • Wax paper
    • Wire Strippers / Wire cutters / Clippers
    • Zip ties
    • Ziploc bags
  • LPR/MPR Local launches
    • Launch controllers
    • Motors
    • Rail / rod launch pads
  • HPR Launches (long drive)
    • Altimeters
    • Batteries
      • 6V, 9V, LiPo, button
    • Battery charger
      • Solar Charger
    • Black Powder
    • Bubble Level
    • CG Jig
    • Charge Wells
    • Chute release
    • Couplers
    • Delay drilling tools
    • Dremel
    • Electric wire
    • E-matches
    • Flight Cards
    • Hammer
    • Inverter
    • Motor Adapters
    • Motor Casings
    • Motor Cleaning
      • Brushes
      • Bucket
      • Cleaning solution
      • Black powder solvent (i.e. – Hoppes #9)
    • Motor Reloads
    • Mounting putty
    • Multi-meter
    • Parachute / Shock cord protectors
    • Rocket cradle
    • Scales - Precision for black powder and larger scale for rockets
    • Shear pins
    • Socket sets
    • Speedy Stitcher
    • Spray Glue
    • Super Lube / WD-40 / Silicon Dry-lube
  • Personal protection/safety
    • Allergy Meds
    • Antacid
    • Bug juice
    • Ear protection
    • Fire Extinguisher
    • First aid kit
    • Hat / Gloves
    • Nitrile/protective gloves
    • Safety glasses
    • Sunscreen
    • Tylenol/Motrin
  • Comfort
    • Chairs
    • Food
    • Pavilion / Tent / Umbrella
    • Tables
    • Toilet Paper / Flushable wipes
    • Water / Drinks

Attachments

• Range Box Checklist.pdf
    361.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Range Box Checklist.xlsx
    12.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
How about a digital voltmeter. They are invaluable for debugging anything electrical in nature.
Get a decent voltmeter. The cheap ones at Horrible Fright and the like often do not measure low resistance well, which is one of the more common things to measure with a voltmeter (motor starters).

After getting five el-cheapo voltmeters from Jameco some time back, and finding that not one would measure low resistance, I bought a Craftsman unit.

Best -- Terry

Get a decent voltmeter. The cheap ones at Horrible Fright and the like often do not measure low resistance well, which is one of the more common things to measure with a voltmeter (motor starters).

After getting five el-cheapo voltmeters from Jameco some time back, and finding that not one would measure low resistance, I bought a Craftsman unit.

Best -- Terry
Good call Terry. I’m in Electrical Engineering, and take instrument quality for granted. I’d add on that, if possible, buy a name brand instrument such as Fluke (there are others such as Keysight, etc) - someone in the test and measurement business if you can swing it. A good DVM is truly an investment in that the tool can be used for many years to come. I still have a Fluke DVM from my second job out of college (circa 1985) that still works like a champ. And as Terry noted, buying purely on price point isn’t necessarily the best move for a tool you can rely on.

Hey, I think I found something not on the list that I actually do bring with me: a piece of wire coat hanger bent into a hook. Useful for fishing things out of a body tube once in a while.

Another serendipitous add - Last weekend, I was prepping my 2.6" Darkstar and the loop on the kevlar bridle inside the fin can flipped backwards toward the tail and I didn't have a hook. Took me 15 min to finally hit it just right with a dowel to un-lodge it. Was never so glad for social distancing to ensure no one saw me looking like a moron wrestling with a fin can... Suffice to say, wire hanger not only makes the list, I just put one in my kit.

I'm still using an old Micronta analog multimeter, bought from Radio Shack about 30 years ago. It's the only thing that gives me accurate resistance measurements down to 1 ohm. I have bought a couple of the cheap Harbor freight units, but they can't decide what range to use for low resistance ematches.
Just did a search on Amazon, the Craftsman they have costs over $100:
https://www.amazon.com/Functions-Cr...0&sprefix=craftsman+voltmeter,hpc,192&sr=8-15
Does anyone have this model? If so, can you recommend it?

Back