What type of chute is this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota196

Reaction score
I purchased these chutes about 10 yrs ago from surplus company. It is 36” nylon and has a center shroud line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I had lots of them, I think 3 for $5 at the time. they are OLD military parachute flare Chutes. I still have a few.

They will not hold up to weight like a 36" hi power chute would. Good for lightweight 2.6" rockets

Yes that is what they were. I had many but many got torn or burned on the way down in rockets 2.6" I was using them in.

I would not use them for real Hi Power, just E, Fs Gs in a Loc or Thoy 2.6" rocket at the time.
Even if I use a nomex blanket. Only flying D, E and F motors. My g stuff has heavier material.

They are military flare chutes. They will work well on an appropriately sized rocket.

Due to the porosity of the fabric, these are highly susceptible to squidding and make poor rocket parachutes.

John Thompson brought a handfull of these 25-years ago to either an OTR or a DART Launch and gave them away and I ended up with a couple.

The ones I have are about 36 inches and they were either too large for my model rockets or too fragile for my MPR / HPR.

They were fun on small MPR Rockets on a dry lake bed though :)

mclark's note about deteriorating in sunlight makes sense. The one I have left looks moth-eaten after 25-years ...

-- kjh

John Thompson brought a handfull of these 25-years ago to either an OTR or a DART Launch and gave them away and I ended up with a couple.

The ones I have are about 36 inches and they were either too large for my model rockets or too fragile for my MPR / HPR.

They were fun on small MPR Rockets on a dry lake bed though :)

mclark's note about deteriorating in sunlight makes sense. The one I have left looks moth-eaten after 25-years ...

-- kjh
I have 6. In great condition, shroud lines are bad, but chute is great. I guess I don’t have a rocket big enough to use them.

Back