What to do with a 9-inch BT-20?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
I have a couple of 9-inch lengths of BT-20 and matching nose cones and didn't quite know what to do with them. I decided to play with alternate designs in Open Rocket. First, I made up a file with the body tube, nose cone, and everything else except the fins.

View attachment 9 inch BT-20 (no fins).ork

The I started plating around with variations. Here are a few: sounding rocket-style fins (View attachment 9 inch BT-20 (1).ork), elliptical fins (View attachment 9 inch BT-20 (2).ork), tiny elliptical fins (View attachment 9 inch BT-20 (5).ork), a version with tiny swept fins, capable of insane altitudes on a C6 and and furious kamikaze flights straight into the sound barrier on an 18mm D21 :surprised: (View attachment 9 inch BT-20 (15).ork), an even more insane version of that last one, with a booster stage :y: (View attachment 9 inch BT-20 (15 with booster).ork), and a far more sensible sport flyer with fancy fins. (View attachment 9 inch BT-20 (fancy).ork)

If you want to play along, start with the "no fin" file and post what you come up with. I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
Try this:
View attachment BT20 new fins.ork
trapezoidal fins, shaped more like sounding rockets I've got. With a D21 it sims to 2361 feet, mach 0.96 (airfoiled instead of rounded fins and you get 2435 feet and mach 0.98). Single-use rocket. You'll never see it again. 3...2...1...Buh-bye!

Like the names..Cool
Do you have a "rearview" of the PP?

I ve had the name "Nine Inch Nails" on the brain since first reading this thread.

Last edited:
Back