What kind of builder are you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be very slow and methodical, refusing to go to another step in the instructions until one was completely finished, even if I was waiting for adhesives to dry and there was completely unrelated stuff I could work on. Now, I am still methodical, but I'll work subassemblies while waiting for other stuff to dry, and sometimes don't even really look at the directions at all. I also find I'm modifying things more than I ever used to. Gotta love practical experience!

I'm a relatively patient builder. Through things I've learned either through experience or from reading on here, I've changed some of my methods over the years. Case in point: I really like pre-finishing fins by sealing them while they're still in the balso sheet, rather than trying to do it while they're glued on (learned that trick on here). I've also come to appreciate kevlar and the shock cord wrapped around the MMT method; having built Estes all my young years, I didn't know anything else existed. And I'm getting a little better at painting; this is where my patience is tested often because it involves a little planning ahead to get the desired look.

Where I stumble is when I let my enthusiasm get ahead of me and throw the patience thing out the window. I did it on my Dual Moon, and much to my chagrin I did it again on the 24mm bash; I forgot to run the kevlar to the MMT because I fabbed the MMTs on them. Had I taken a little more time, I would have done that part right, but at least it's a mistake that's recoverable. I just get a little too excited and I want to plow on forward without thinking.

I've been there buddy...I built a rocket last week that had a baffle. I went to launch it and totally forgot to install the parachute! I didn't notice at pre-launch because I didn't have to pop the NC to add wadding. Scratch one rocket...major impact! :D

I guess I led you astray there - I forgot to do the MMT method, but I wound up using the Estes tri-fold method. I didn't forget it all together.

That said, I can say that at least twice now, I've taken my Comanche 3 to a launch and I have YET to add a launch lug to the thing. It's even painted.

GRRRR! Whay do I do this to myself???

Originally posted by Loopy
Do you really want me to answer that? :D
Did I wear my "I'm a Masochist (Whip Me - Beat Me - Make Me Smile)" t-shirt to the last Quark meet? That was probably a good tip-off...

But you know, I agree with what you posted - I get into a mentality of "It's 3FNC - how hard could this be? We don't need no stinking instructions. I could do this with my eyes closed." And in the end it looks just like you tried to put it together with your eyes closed. I get so tied up in the modifications I've done that I fly right past the simple basics.

Latest posts

Back