What is The Current State of Hybrid Propulsion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by uncle_vanya
I have noticed that the price advantage of Hybrids is not uniform.

I would love to see a price break down with GSE, Nitrous, and Fuel across multiple hybrid manufacturers and standard APCP vendors. Ideally someone could develop a spreadsheet that allows people to update the price assumptions. If someone is very ambitious they could even add depreciation to the GSE to show the time value of money.

I would rather

A) build a rocket
B) attend a launch
C) spend time with my family
D) study history
E) go for a walk
F) live

I just put up my money and fly as it's not about money.....time has no value to money. Once it's gone it can't be bought and returned.

Chuck

Originally posted by Johnnie
I assume you have documented this, can you share any more without divolging dead giveaways?

The problem I would have a concern with, are hybrid propulsion having trouble scaling up or down. If you scale down to the levels you have achieved for ease of children, have the costs also scaled? Let me rephrase, how much might your system sell for, if only to school science projects? Granted the Science teacher would only need to purchase one for a class learning assignment. Did you imagine a system simple enough that a pack of Cub Scouts could have a build/fly day like the Estes bulkpacks provide? Personaly I would love to have one of your designs, if only for the novelty of being able to fly a Hybrid off of the low power group.

How about scaling up?For me personaly, an "O" hybrid could nearly meet the standards for a Level 4 certification project, for the sheer complexity it represents. Contrail offers the "O" and has at least had more than one successful flight, and one recorded failure.

Never-the-less, you present an excellent case for ease of use and simplicity. My son has said more than once that he wished he could fly the "farting" rockets. He is very smart, and I believe he can be on one of the mission to Mars trips (not Disney), but until then, he wished for a system that fit his level/age.

Are Whipits scalable? Granted I don't want to purchase a 4-pack of 440cc Whipits, but could the whipit size be doubled without too much trouble? A hybrid in the full E to Low F with ease of use would be nice, especially if my son could load his own ejection charges.

Good reads Doc, thank you!

Johnnie

I'd divulge as much as it took if it'd help get the process going. I can't divulge plans because I don't have them. I designed conceptually, the other guy hacked the hardware to spec within the constraints of the available parts (the electronics came as is -- we had no control over the size).

Price would be at or below $100 for everything, including enough disposables for a dozen flights. Whipit carts would be up to the user, running about 50-60 cents each mail order. Reload grains would be ~$1 each shipped: paraffin poured into kraft paper tube. Each reload would have a burst disk. Instructions for making your own would be included. Home making costs for grains were based on my test and ran 20 to 25 cents each. That was a high melt hard paraffin. Cheaper waxes could be used.

Start with $100, and add $100 for two cases of Whipits and 50 more grains, and you get 82 flights for $200 (or a lot more if you poured your own). That's $2.50 each, cheaper than any D motor. $200 will get you an AT reloadable 24mm case and about 20 E reloads. The cost wasn't a planned factor, but I went in knowing that between commercial Whipit cans and wax grains the result would be a lot cheaper to operate.

The particular design doesn't scale, and wasn't intended to. There's only one size of Whipit, or at least that I was familiar with and designed it around. They work by pushing in on the stem. Other tanks don't. If there are simple, premanufactured nitrous canisters of a larger size, that have a similar mechanism whereby the opening of the can was accomplished by sealing it into the protective container/motor housing and the valve opened by the pressure aplied on the can against a valve stem, then yes this could be redesigned around that. Otherwise, we'd be looking at refillable tanks, which means handling outside the motor. That's the major sticking point with respect to safety, and in comes GSE and all that entails. The motor itself could be longer with no scaling except material costs, but I've no idea how long would be too long for a given core geometry.

This was to be a low D to high E motor, according to different grains and cores. The design wouldn't prevent users from making their own grains out of other materials. They just had to fit. Getting certification would be based on using the manufactured grains.

The recovery mechanism wouldn't require scaling. It's completely transportable, and doesn't require particular electronics so the user could change that.

As for use, yes, it was intended to be usable by minors without adult intervention (supervision being another thing). Making motor grains wouldn't require melting and pouring wax, which can be dangerous, though not terribly damaging. You can pour wax pellets into the molds and melt them in an oven. Again, adult supervision, but not intervention.

The future of hybrids may be more dependent on the outcome of the TRA/NAR & ATF Lawsuit than anything else. If we lose the ATF lawsuit or the federal government imposes new regulations on our hobby after we win the lawsuit hybrid motors will become more popular. I also think that the hybrid manufacturers need to produce and display more detailed images and videos of setting up their GSE and motors on their websites. They need to design their websites for the AP G-Level flyer who wants to go into high power but does not want to go through the aggravation of getting a LEUP. In short Hybrids for Dummies.

I do not own a hybrid motor but I am very interested in them. I have only seen one hybrid motor fly a Contrial L-2525-BGF at MDRA June 2006 launch. In my opinion it seems like the man and his class (he was a science teacher) spent more time setting up the GSE and launch system than anything else. The rocket gave an impressive launch but that was it he did not attempt another launch the rest of the day. I personally would rather use a more simplified prefilled system that Aerotech and Alpha Hybrids employ than GSE by the other hybrid manufacturers. Besides, I only have so much room in the trunk of my car.

Originally posted by bdsnyder
The future of hybrids may be more dependent on the outcome of the TRA/NAR & ATF Lawsuit than anything else. If we lose the ATF lawsuit or the federal government imposes new regulations on our hobby after we win the lawsuit hybrid motors will become more popular. I also think that the hybrid manufacturers need to produce and display more detailed images and videos of setting up their GSE and motors on their websites. They need to design their websites for the AP G-Level flyer who wants to go into high power but does not want to go through the aggravation of getting a LEUP. In short Hybrids for Dummies.

I do not own a hybrid motor but I am very interested in them. I have only seen one hybrid motor fly a Contrial L-2525-BGF at MDRA June 2006 launch. In my opinion it seems like the man and his class (he was a science teacher) spent more time setting up the GSE and launch system than anything else. The rocket gave an impressive launch but that was it he did not attempt another launch the rest of the day. I personally would rather use a more simplified prefilled system that Aerotech and Alpha Hybrids employ than GSE by the other hybrid manufacturers. Besides, I only have so much room in the trunk of my car.

Actually, only HyperTEK markets a GSE set-up for their product.

The club I flew with for many years got us involved in a HyperTEK can't miss plan many years ago. Get 5 fliers to purchase (1) 440cc tank and (5) fuel grains each, and Korey Kline would give us the GSE!!!!!!!!!! The local club still uses that GSE set-up to this day. All of my HPR flights since then have been hybrids of one flavor or another.

Again, this is not a plug, but Pratt markets GSE that can nearly do it all, Solids; HyperTEK and any Monotube...I would imagine Doug will market a simple fill system and scale for thr prefills to one day.

GSE is not cheap, and the largest expense is a tank, trhe it is the solinoids that mount to the tank manifold. There are cheaper ways around the GSE, but you couls end up compromising safety.

SkyRipper Systems has a page devoted to info on GSE, take a look.

Johnnie

Is HyperTEK the only hybrid system that uses a launch stem? How do you work around this if you have a pad setup for HyperTEK and then want to launch SkyRipper or other? Does the stem come off easily?

What other differences exist between Hybrid GSE requirements? Fittings? Number of Fill Lines? Voltage?

Again, this is not a plug, but Pratt markets GSE that can nearly do it all, Solids; HyperTEK and any Monotube...I would imagine Doug will market a simple fill system and scale for thr prefills to one day.

GSE is not cheap, and the largest expense is a tank, trhe it is the solinoids that mount to the tank manifold. There are cheaper ways around the GSE, but you couls end up compromising safety.

SkyRipper Systems has a page devoted to info on GSE, take a look.

Johnnie [/B]

It don't get no simpler than that page for GSE.

The entire SRS page is set up to help noobs.

https://www.skyrippersystems.com/

Chuck

Is HyperTEK the only hybrid system that uses a launch stem? How do you work around this if you have a pad setup for HyperTEK and then want to launch SkyRipper or other? Does the stem come off easily?

What other differences exist between Hybrid GSE requirements? Fittings? Number of Fill Lines? Voltage?

Here is the best stemsystem for HT. https://www.x-rockets.com/pages/940959/index.htm
It can be removed fairly quickly as it fits into the unistrut rail.

Pratt's ignition box works on all hybrids, excepting contrail needing a module for 24v
Fittings are generally in the reload kit dependant on the fill tube size
Manifolds are used on mulitiple injector fills, one fill feeds the manifold which has as many lines as needed to flow into each injector
Voltage, answered above

Chuck

I always brought my own pad and placed it on the opposite side of the HyperTEK pad. When I l was ready to launch my SRS motor, I would close the nitrous valve, unscrew the N2O hose from the HyperTEK pad, add my adapter, and then thread the adapter onto the fill hose on my motor...open the N2O valve and fill/launch. No sweat.

Johnnie

I am wondering if someone could go into detail about the steps that need to be taken when the rocket is ready to fly. I know that the tank is filled, but any details you could give me beyond there would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by runandgun13
I am wondering if someone could go into detail about the steps that need to be taken when the rocket is ready to fly. I know that the tank is filled, but any details you could give me beyond there would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you're talking fill/fires

The motor is installed with vent line which exhausts to the outside of the rocket, generally a 1/8th" line, is added and cut off flush with the exterior of the rocket. The motor is raised on the rail, the fill tube is attached to the N20 bottle and all that arming stuff is done. You can either arm first and attach the tube and ignitor or visa versa, cuz it's going nowhere without gas.

Since most (not all NYPOWER has remote fill/fire) monotube owners have their own GSE you just hit the fill button, which opens the solenoid on the bottle, till you see the vent, then call for a 5 count. I keep my thumb on the fill , hit the fire button and hold both until it clears the rail. When I let go the solenoid closes the fill valve and seals the N20 and I watch the flight.

Chuck

I have not asked permission from Edward of Alpha Hybrids, but here is a test that he had done a coupla weeks ago of an I-class Paraffin-Asphalt hybrid. The motor is of the prefill variety (no GSE to fill/fire)...

https://alphahybrids.com/Media/hybrid1.mpg

Edward,

If you would like me to remove the link, just say the word and I will edit.

The motor is nearly instantly on!

Johnnie

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
I assume you're talking fill/fires

The motor is installed with vent line which exhausts to the outside of the rocket, generally a 1/8th" line, is added and cut off flush with the exterior of the rocket. The motor is raised on the rail, the fill tube is attached to the N20 bottle and all that arming stuff is done. You can either arm first and attach the tube and ignitor or visa versa, cuz it's going nowhere without gas.

Since most (not all NYPOWER has remote fill/fire) monotube owners have their own GSE you just hit the fill button, which opens the solenoid on the bottle, till you see the vent, then call for a 5 count. I keep my thumb on the fill , hit the fire button and hold both until it clears the rail. When I let go the solenoid closes the fill valve and seals the N20 and I watch the flight.

Chuck

Thanks. It seems less complicated than I thgout. I am not getting a commerciall made hybrid motor, but I would like to try to build my own less complicated motor.

Johnnie,

There will be more soon...very soon. Also, don't worry about the link :)

Edward

The motor is of the prefill variety (no GSE to fill/fire)...
Precisely what the hobby needs is prefill stealth hybrids. Congrats to Ed on his work.

Originally posted by ddmobley
Precisely what the hobby needs is prefill stealth hybrids. Congrats to Ed on his work.

Definately. It is kind of like the mythbusters confederate rocket but without a valve to open. Nice job.

I'd like to think it is a little more advanced than the Mythbusters confederate rocket...

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
I'd like to think it is a little more advanced than the Mythbusters confederate rocket...

Edward

It is definately more accurate, just based on the same principles. I was in no way trying to insult you or your motor.

I asked my local club leadership a couple weeks ago about why we didn't see more hybrid activity at our launches, and they gave me a couple answers. First, the cost of the GSE. Second, the time it takes to prep a hybrid flight, both before taking to the pad and once it's on the pad.

Personally, I've only witnessed a handful of hybrid flights over the past 3 years that I've been in the hobby, and most of those involved, from my perspective, a guy tinkering with some gear out at the pad for at least an hour before even getting to the launch point. Then when the time was right, having to stand right next to the rocket to watch for venting, running away at top speed while someone hit the launch button.

Based on my personal perceptions, it's too much hassle.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles Then when the time was right, having to stand right next to the rocket to watch for venting, running away at top speed while someone hit the launch button.

This is a violation of the safety code and an invitation for a Darwin award. :(

Our club has a cheap wireless video link to watch for venting. Binoculars are commonly used for this.

-John

Many fliers will not bother with a HyperTEK I-motor for the 440cc motor system...when is the last time an I260 (a.k.a. the I310 as it was first certified years ago) was fired? Holy Cow, that motor will vibrate the breast bone no matter the distance from the flight line...

try yelling Buuuurrrrpppp!!! real loud for 2.20 seconds until you feel it in the breast plate...That is the 440cc I-motor. I have not seen or heard or felt one of these burned in a long time...let alone running from it when you see the venting. :D

Johnnie

Many fliers will not bother with a HyperTEK I-motor for the 440cc motor system...when is the last time an I260 (a.k.a. the I310 as it was first certified years ago) was fired? Holy Cow, that motor will vibrate the breast bone no matter the distance from the flight line...

try yelling Buuuurrrrpppp!!! real loud for 2.20 seconds until you feel it in the breast plate...That is the 440cc I-motor. I have not seen or heard or felt one of these burned in a long time...let alone running from it when you see the venting. :D

Johnnie

You can and will see it again at ST '07, as I've gotcha covered there. Bring something to fly and feel it again. :D

Originally posted by kaycee
You can and will see it again at ST '07, as I've gotcha covered there. Bring something to fly and feel it again. :D

I have this rocket...it has a 54 mount...It is called the Excalibur...I believe it would make an excellent candidate for the I 260 (I310:D )

Johnnie

Back