What is The Current State of Hybrid Propulsion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
Hybrids have been the buzz for a number of years, but it seems just within the last year that interest has waned substantially.

This thread here brought up some very good issues and topic discussion about hybrids, and I wanted to kind of parallel Edwards original topic and ask: What is the current status of Hybrid propulsion?

Both Skyripper and Alpha have been tied up in certs, and Skyripper is also moving mfg facilities closer to home; but the other Hybrid mfg's have also slowed down. Ratt has always been sparce, but their products are listed on vender sights as "out of stock." HyperTEK even has declining sales and has not come out with anything new in years. The companies from the "Great White North" like Propulsion Polymers and West Coast Hybrids just have not materialized much here in America at all.

Am I trip'n or are people actually migrating away from Hybrids? It is my understanding that even our local clubs has hardly pulled out the GSE and had any flights since September last year...if you've got em you'll burn'em right?

Johnnie

heres the thing. SRS makes the only G hybrid and if you are not L1 (or 2 or 3) its going to be a hassle to have all this GSE for a G. Since alot of flyers are L1 or L0 to me it makes no sense to spend money on all this GSE for a couple loads. APCP you only buy the case which IMHO is more cost effectlive.

Ben

Originally posted by Johnnie
Hybrids have been the buzz for a number of years, but it seems just within the last year that interest has waned substantially.

This thread here

Am I trip'n or are people actually migrating away from Hybrids? It is my understanding that even our local clubs has hardly pulled out the GSE and had any flights since September last year...if you've got em you'll burn'em right?

Johnnie

The adoption rate of Hybirds has always been slow but in my opinion steady (at least in our club). At NYPOWER you will see plenty of Hybrid action. This year we will have 2-3 pads dedicated to hybrid flights.

I don't think there is any greater migration away from Hybrids than the HPR hobby itself.

HyperTEK even has declining sales and has not come out with anything new in years.
... snip ...

Where are you getting your data from to support the declining sales? Not saying you're wrong, just interested.

Originally posted by jderimig
The adoption rate of Hybirds has always been slow but in my opinion steady (at least in our club). At NYPOWER you will see plenty of Hybrid action. This year we will have 2-3 pads dedicated to hybrid flights.

I don't think there is any greater migration away from Hybrids than the HPR hobby itself.

What brands are normally flown at Nypower?

Johnnie

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Where are you getting your data from to support the declining sales? Not saying you're wrong, just interested.

HyperTEK is still the number one selling brand, lets get that out of the way...

I may have miss-represented the lack of sales, but since my return, I have had two local club members offer their hardware to me...I'm holding out for SkyRipper 54mm or Alpha 54mm both possibly due by summer.

I personally am shying away from HyperTEK due to the number of failures I have witnessed over the years...

maybe I could have stated that they are less popular to local fliers than in the past, and not tried to generalize my original statement by implying everywhere that sales are down.

So, who still burns the HyperTEK systems? Sound-off!

Johnnie

After talking with a lot more experienced fliers and reading a lot of threads here and seeing flights in Orangeburg - here's what I have to say:

1) GSE is a problem. Not so much due to complexity or cost but availability and logistics. At most large launches the ratio of hybrid pads to solid pads should be a clue. Imagine trying to have an all hybrid launch - assume that you had enough fliers and interest. The complexity of setting up 15 - 20 pads with tanks would drive me to drink. The number of flights per day per pad goes down with Hybrids as well. The delay for filling for most systems is a major issue with large numbers of fliers.

2) Power to Weight Ratio - The motors while powerful are not as powerful in terms of what they can lift when you subtract out the motor + Nitrous + fuel + flight tank vs motor plus fuel in an APCP system.

3) Length. If you do not fly 3FNC long rockets this is a problem. Coaxial motors with nitrous sleeves might be a good idea - it's not clear to me if this works technically.

4) Lack of motor ejection. Surely it is possible to rig a system where a delay method could be done without electronics. This added complexity reduces the marketplace and makes it hard to get novice fliers into the Hybrid fold. This is mainly an issue in the lower impluse classes of motors.

5) Non-standardized GSE. All APCP motors can fly on all GSE used at all large club launches as far as I can tell. No one ever has to reconfigure the pad to work with their particular brand of motor. This is not true for Hybrids - if they could all use ONE GSE without modification at the pad it would help. The GSE need not be identical for APCP and Hybrids but should not require changes between multiple hybrid vendors.

6) Reduced familiarity and less distributed knowledge. It's hard enough to build the rockets and make them fly - if you have to learn on your own it is tough. Some like the challenge - some like the cost - some hate feeling confused.

All of these issues aside - I'm still thinking about buying some GSE and trying this. I like challenge and I like the idea of hybrids. It doesn't fit my oddroc building style so I'm still mulling it over.

What brands are normally flown at Nypower?

Johnnie

About 50% HT with rest divided among SRS and Contrail. Once in a while someone will fly a RATT.

Hybrid operations at NYPOWER have been very smooth. Very few problems and we'll pound flights off the hybrid pads all day. Alot of that is due to the Skybuster's club which has a lot of gas passing expertise.

Originally posted by jderimig
About 50% HT with rest divided among SRS and Contrail. Once in a while someone will fly a RATT.

Hybrid operations at NYPOWER have been very smooth. Very few problems and we'll pound flights off the hybrid pads all day. Alot of that is due to the Skybuster's club which has a lot of gas passing expertise.

Sweet! Maybe they have a model they would like to share one day on how they manage operations, thanks for the input jderimig. There is a little Skyripper out this way, and occasional Ratt, but most flights were HyperTEK...

I believe the local clubs GSE is old, and we do not have enough experienced people (me included) who run/troubleshoot the system. The avid hybrid fliers are starting to dwindle somewhat here in the Southland. I can name one person who can be counted on to fly monthly, and that would be John Storey from over near Knoxvill, TN ways.

Thanks again,

Johnnie

Hybrids I think will always be a less popular motor because of the amount of invested time that you need. Estes BP is the most popular because of the least amount of work. Then you've got AP single use (same concept as BP), then you go to reloadables like AT, AMW, CTI. Then there are hybrids. I think that the fiddle factor weeds people out. You have to get more stuff, learn a little more and in general it takes more time to prep and less time to launch a rocket. As for the power to weight ratio - we shouldn't be kidding ourselves with the motors we use - if we really wanted altitude we'd with a totally different approach to a propulsion system. Most of us really just like to build a rocket, put in a motor and let it fly. I think AP affords that the easiest. I know when my mother-in-law comes to visit the launches she is very confused at the fill on the pad hybrids and then wonders why people would even do that. I think a lot of fliers out there agree - why do that when you can do it easier. Anyway - I think you'll always have a groups that likes to fly them and will - you'll also get people who dabble in both.

Edward

Johnnie,
Storey is why I bought the SRS 38 set, he is flying hybrids on a regular basis at our launches in East Tenn. If a vendor had a stand set up in our field it would be easy to fly solid motors. I like the complexity of the hybrids and no regs to deal with. Now I am going to fly hybrids on a regular basis. I am also with you on the 54 Skyripper, when they come out I will buy some. Once you get the GSE the reloads are cheap. The biggest thing is NO REGS.

Originally posted by edwardw
Hybrids I think will always be a less popular motor because of the amount of invested time that you need. (snip) I think that the fiddle factor weeds people out. You have to get more stuff, learn a little more and in general it takes more time to prep and less time to launch a rocket.
Edward,

You're being too pessimistic, especially for hybrid vendor. :)

Yes, it's an additional learning curve, but it's additive and not necessarily more complicated. From a technology perspective, it's on the order of level 2 flying.

You need electronic deployment. No big deal.

Prepping the motor is something new to learn, but not any more complicated than an AP reload.

GSE is something new to learn, but almost instantaneous, osmotic absorption of knowledge upon seeing it. A tank with a couple of gauges, a couple of solenoids, a nipple, and some wires.

The box controlling it is pretty much self explanatory, too. Fill. Dump. Arm. Check. Nothing mystical about it.

My point is that too many fliers worry too much about the unknown and then avoid it. Learning hybrids is pretty easy for anyone who makes a modicum of effort.

My biggest challenge was finding the time to build/mod a bird for hybrids. After that, it was getting to a launch where there was GSE. And the web makes that part pretty easy to coordinate.

> the fiddle factor weeds people out

I can't deny that's what seems to be going on, but my take is that a lot of the fiddling is because people haven't read the manual (RTFM!). And most of the fiddling time is learning time. IOW, once the new concept/step/trick is learned, it will likely not need to be relearned. The fiddling time will be reduced on each subsequent flight. There will be fewer new things to learn each time. The 2nd flight will go more smoothly than the first, and the third more smoothly again.

It's like any endeavor where learning is involved - effort, patience and careful observation are required.

> As for the power to weight ratio - we shouldn't be kidding
> ourselves with the motors we use - if we really wanted
> altitude we'd with a totally different approach to a propulsion
> system.

Not sure which way you're leaning here, but, while the hybrids tend to have lower average thrust than APCP motors of comparable impulse, they still have plenty. Here again is another area where fliers worry too much, me included. The typical thoughts are, "It's my first hybrid flight; I want extra thrust/weight margin, just to be on the safe side." In reality, as long as the rocket's not some ridiculously overweight monster, there's little to worry about.

Upon reviewing my post, the one thought that occurs to me is that much of the other flying we do is too simple. Insert wadding and chute, insert motor and ignitor, stand back, press button, whoosh. Maybe we're spoiled with how simple it is, right up to level 2 certification, and then we expect everything else to be so simple.

Doug

{edit}

But in case you want to practice putting your SRS motors together.......I recently did a video for Todd which should appear on the site soon as soon as he figures out how to drop it to that dark wmv mode. I'll post it here......the first is an 8 meg file the second a 23 meg, both are the same with only resolution differences. Understand this is a bates grain setup, other hybrids are easier (very slightly) with only one grain. They are 10 minutes long.

https://homepage.mac.com/wesrudy/SRS54assembly.mov
https://homepage.mac.com/wesrudy/SRS54AssemblyMed.mov

The two amigos are Theo McDonald and Todd Harrison.....and it was done during a running launch so we tried our best to keep the background noise down.

Remember don't mention plastic and nitrous in the same sentance.

Chuck

Originally posted by uncle_vanya
After talking with a lot more experienced fliers and reading a lot of threads here and seeing flights in Orangeburg - here's what I have to say:

1) GSE is a problem. Not so much due to complexity or cost but availability and logistics. At most large launches the ratio of hybrid pads to solid pads should be a clue. Imagine trying to have an all hybrid launch - assume that you had enough fliers and interest. The complexity of setting up 15 - 20 pads with tanks would drive me to drink. The number of flights per day per pad goes down with Hybrids as well. The delay for filling for most systems is a major issue with large numbers of fliers.

2) Power to Weight Ratio - The motors while powerful are not as powerful in terms of what they can lift when you subtract out the motor + Nitrous + fuel + flight tank vs motor plus fuel in an APCP system.

3) Length. If you do not fly 3FNC long rockets this is a problem. Coaxial motors with nitrous sleeves might be a good idea - it's not clear to me if this works technically.

4) Lack of motor ejection. Surely it is possible to rig a system where a delay method could be done without electronics. This added complexity reduces the marketplace and makes it hard to get novice fliers into the Hybrid fold. This is mainly an issue in the lower impluse classes of motors.

5) Non-standardized GSE. All APCP motors can fly on all GSE used at all large club launches as far as I can tell. No one ever has to reconfigure the pad to work with their particular brand of motor. This is not true for Hybrids - if they could all use ONE GSE without modification at the pad it would help. The GSE need not be identical for APCP and Hybrids but should not require changes between multiple hybrid vendors.

6) Reduced familiarity and less distributed knowledge. It's hard enough to build the rockets and make them fly - if you have to learn on your own it is tough. Some like the challenge - some like the cost - some hate feeling confused.

All of these issues aside - I'm still thinking about buying some GSE and trying this. I like challenge and I like the idea of hybrids. It doesn't fit my oddroc building style so I'm still mulling it over.

The simplest GSE on the market is Pratt Hobbies. I owned the standard launch box with the fill/dump manifold (no oxygen solenoid) and I flew Skyrippers off of it effortlessly. But if your club has a HyperTEK GSE set-up, it is even easier, just to get $.80 worth of brass adapters and fill fire any monotube hybrids just by merely moving one hose.

I like complexity, that is why I have never pruchased or flown a Cesaroni solid motor...they should have been made into single use motors, as that is basically what they are...and I don't fly single use anything (cept Estes).

Most all of the monotubes are a fav for me. I have flown many HyperTEK motors, but I like the monos better.

As for motor ejection...electronics is the future, especialy for those that like to manipulate the data. Me? I like to know how high I can go, and also get close proximity recovery with dual delpoy.

Johnnie

Originally posted by JSvolfan
Johnnie,
Storey is why I bought the SRS 38 set, he is flying hybrids on a regular basis at our launches in East Tenn. If a vendor had a stand set up in our field it would be easy to fly solid motors. I like the complexity of the hybrids and no regs to deal with. Now I am going to fly hybrids on a regular basis. I am also with you on the 54 Skyripper, when they come out I will buy some. Once you get the GSE the reloads are cheap. The biggest thing is NO REGS.

If you like the 38mm Skyrippers, you'll love the 29mm system too.

I have seen John Storey push the limits nearly every time he flies...good stuff!

Johnnie

Chuck,

Everytime I go to view a darned ole Quicktime flick, I always end up having to download a "dookey" amount of megabites of updates just to view something...I could hear the video but could not see it...and then Qwerktime tells me that the software I need to view the video is not located on their server :confused:

Bring on the WMV.

Thanks for posting, I will try to view it at work.

Johnnie

The simplest GSE on the market is Pratt Hobbies.
The simplest hybrid GSE is NONE, i.e. the stealth hybrid technology. I really wished AeroTech would bring back their line of hybrids because they were so simple to use, especially in the upper stage of multi-staged rockets. They were like a drag car, load it up, fire it off and it's outta here. Can you imagine a drag racer sitting at the starting line with a nitrous line connected, waiting for the green light?

Rant coming, be forewarned. (And just after I got a compliment for the "new Dynasour" being less verbose than the old. So it goes. But this has been on my mind for a few years now.)

... (stuff snip'ed)

Johnnie

Migrating away, no. Reduced adoption, yes. A market defines itself by profitability. For hybrids that means a continual influx of new users, because supporting those that have already made the major investments necessary is not where the profit is. This is simply the flip side of the "investment" observation made by others. Manufacturers and retailers will see a lack of adoption as more of a "failure" than those in the user base.

People who tend to go for the latest and greatest adopt early. They suffer the "user as beta tester" period gladly. Having been successful, they remain dedicated and satisfied. They remain the few, however. Their existence never depended on how successful a particular product was, but on their own success. Their observations will reflect this.

The majority will wait until there is sufficient market penetration and adoption, so they know they will be adequately supported in the sense they are accustom to, the informal sense from other users. If they don't see it, they won't adopt. Having a few around is not sufficient for them. They want to see the equivalent of card stock topped plastic bags hanging from hooks in several stores before they'll follow the proven path and invest. They will also look for ease of adoption, in this case the learning curve involved as well as the infrastructure required. You can buy an Estes starter pack and have the complete infrastructure. Users don't expect something this simple, but they want something a step up but not a giant step up. Being in the position of a clueless newbie is not a comfortable place for someone who has become accustom to being at least competent.

Having the break point between pyro and hybrid motors the same as the break point between modrocs/LPR and the greater step of HPR, with its certification requirements and regulations, makes the step up all that more daunting. This is in part due to the technology; hybrids don't include ejection and require separate electronics and ejection. This also requires a step up, different from the motor technology itself. It also requires the high power certification for handling the ejection charge materials (yes, exceptions exist; they are exceptions and users see that). This is all because hybrids were developed for HPR fliers who could replace HP motors with these and could handle the rest of the technology, so they could use these, so others would see, want and adopt, so they would spread the word, etc. There are too many steps to be made in getting to hybrids, due to this placement across the high power boundary. No matter how easy the technology is to master according to those who make the large step successfully, the average user knows full well they are touting it based on their own success, not as an objective measurement from the viewpoint of the average user.

If manufacturers would place themselves in the position of lessening the learning curve by developing hybrids, infrastructure and associated technology that did not fall across that boundary, they would attract far more new users.

I had paid for the development of a hybrid based on minimal technology and requiring no HPR certification for any part. The idea was to develop a motor and system that could be used by any user with existing equipment, that could be manufactured with less effort than existing hybrids, and that could be certified as less than HPR. This was accomplished. The result used Whipit nitrous (in a manner sufficiently safe, contained completely within a protective canister), BB gun size CO2 cartridges for ejection (in the same manner as used in the guns; "sufficiently safe" here is a known, and served as the basis for the nitrous design), and "memory metal' wire reconforming to an electrical charge for the ejection sequence. The ejection sequence still depended on an apogee detecting electronics package, and on learning how to use it. The motor and other technology was different from, but not harder than, reloadable motors, a step sideways. The electronics was the only step up, and it was made as easy as possible by using dedicated apogee detection hardware, so it was a small a step as possible. (It would also work with apogee detecting altimeters, but did not require them). The learning curve and decreased "ease of use" factor (and investment required) were more than going from LPR/BP motors to MPR/reloadable technologies, but the difference was kept well below the same measures in going to HPR/L1 certification. More than that, the result was driven by the original idea of making the entire package as safe or safer than existing reloads. The hybrid motor itself is safer because the fuel is not flammable. BP and APCP are, yet they can be used by children, and are allowed within schools. I wanted the entire thing to meet this measure or beat it. It did.

I lost track of the person who built this system, and never got one, but that doesn't matter. It was done. The development cost me $100 and him about the same or less. It could be done again.

As long as manufacturers maintain the technology at the level of HPR, they will continue to hobble the widespread adoption of their own technology, and that of the whole field. If they will instead lower the bar and make it accessible to non-certified fliers, and make it safe and cheap enough for the motor and other technology to be certified by NAR/TRA/CAR as a mid-power motor at best, they will open up the market they have been waiting for in vain. Unfortunately, they have set a goal and met it, and are hoping for profitability at this point, and so are resistant to investing in more R&D in technology and manufacturing without seeing profit at the point they've set for themselves.

I believe they (each individually) also are resistant to the idea of promoting a new technology which has in the past been criticized as unsafe, as prior attempts to use prepackaged nitrous in mini-hybrids has been, even though a new design might not have this failing. It requires a fair amount of effort to overcome "common knowledge" of users who are experienced enough to know of the prior problems. Their passing along of experience with what they've been exposed to previously, offered as experience even though it was not accumulated with the newer technology, can be a significant barrier. This requires another kind and level of promotion in getting adopted. Hybrid makers are, in my opinion, comfortable in their position of not having to do this because users approaching their equipment are doing so across several other barriers, that of HPR certification, and expect barriers to overcome, including that of "common knowledge" through their self-education.

OK, not a rant, but lotsa words. As I said, its been on my mind for a long time. And I've taken an active part in trying to change it. If I had the money I'd extend the development to manufacturing, and make it cheap enough for a manufacturer to put together the whole package in a way easy and cheap enough for them and the users to easily adopt. I've got the time, hands and experience. If a manufacturer wanted to pursue this, I'd do it just to see it done, pretty much just to make hybrids kid-and-school level safe, just as I'd intended in the first place. At that level, widespread user adoption would be easy.

I had paid for the development of a hybrid based on minimal technology and requiring no HPR certification for any part. The idea was to develop a motor and system that could be used by any user with existing equipment, that could be manufactured with less effort than existing hybrids, and that could be certified as less than HPR. This was accomplished. The result used Whipit nitrous (in a manner sufficiently safe, contained completely within a protective canister), BB gun size CO2 cartridges for ejection (in the same manner as used in the guns; "sufficiently safe" here is a known, and served as the basis for the nitrous design), and "memory metal' wire reconforming to an electrical charge for the ejection sequence. The ejection sequence still depended on an apogee detecting electronics package, and on learning how to use it. The motor and other technology was different from, but not harder than, reloadable motors, a step sideways. The electronics was the only step up, and it was made as easy as possible by using dedicated apogee detection hardware, so it was a small a step as possible. (It would also work with apogee detecting altimeters, but did not require them). The learning curve and decreased "ease of use" factor (and investment required) were more than going from LPR/BP motors to MPR/reloadable technologies, but the difference was kept well below the same measures in going to HPR/L1 certification. More than that, the result was driven by the original idea of making the entire package as safe or safer than existing reloads. The hybrid motor itself is safer because the fuel is not flammable. BP and APCP are, yet they can be used by children, and are allowed within schools. I wanted the entire thing to meet this measure or beat it. It did.

I lost track of the person who built this system, and never got one, but that doesn't matter. It was done. The development cost me $100 and him about the same or less. It could be done again.

I assume you have documented this, can you share any more without divolging dead giveaways?

The problem I would have a concern with, are hybrid propulsion having trouble scaling up or down. If you scale down to the levels you have achieved for ease of children, have the costs also scaled? Let me rephrase, how much might your system sell for, if only to school science projects? Granted the Science teacher would only need to purchase one for a class learning assignment. Did you imagine a system simple enough that a pack of Cub Scouts could have a build/fly day like the Estes bulkpacks provide? Personaly I would love to have one of your designs, if only for the novelty of being able to fly a Hybrid off of the low power group.

How about scaling up?For me personaly, an "O" hybrid could nearly meet the standards for a Level 4 certification project, for the sheer complexity it represents. Contrail offers the "O" and has at least had more than one successful flight, and one recorded failure.

Never-the-less, you present an excellent case for ease of use and simplicity. My son has said more than once that he wished he could fly the "farting" rockets. He is very smart, and I believe he can be on one of the mission to Mars trips (not Disney), but until then, he wished for a system that fit his level/age.

Are Whipits scalable? Granted I don't want to purchase a 4-pack of 440cc Whipits, but could the whipit size be doubled without too much trouble? A hybrid in the full E to Low F with ease of use would be nice, especially if my son could load his own ejection charges.

Good reads Doc, thank you!

Johnnie

Originally posted by ddmobley
The simplest hybrid GSE is NONE, i.e. the stealth hybrid technology. I really wished AeroTech would bring back their line of hybrids because they were so simple to use, especially in the upper stage of multi-staged rockets. They were like a drag car, load it up, fire it off and it's outta here. Can you imagine a drag racer sitting at the starting line with a nitrous line connected, waiting for the green light?

The Aerotech Hybrids, should they ever return, were some of the most wicked hybrids I have ever seen fly. Some, like the J390 Turbo were White Lightning Dragsters (to coin your reference). But how does one load one safely at the field? You need a scale, an adapter set-up to the tank to fill from, assuming there is already GSE set-up at the field, and you need to swap components to load somehow. For safety of handling, would gloves and safety glasses be required? Keeping in mind that you have flown once early in the day, and you need another hybrid flight fix in the afternoon...how does this simplicity translate to the field?

The only Aerotech flights I have seen were performed by a gentleman who had his tank filled at a Speed shop on his way to the launch. He kept the tank on ice till he was ready to fly. After the kick-butt flight was over, that was it, he could not fly again, without refilling the tank at the Speed shop.

Come on Alpha Hybrids! These are prefill hybrids, that should hit the market this summer, I hope...Edward, what way have you found easy enough for field prep on your motors?

Johnnie

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy

But in case you want to practice putting your SRS motors together.......I recently did a video for Todd which should appear on the site soon as soon as he figures out how to drop it to that dark wmv mode. I'll post it here......the first is an 8 meg file the second a 23 meg, both are the same with only resolution differences. Understand this is a bates grain setup, other hybrids are easier (very slightly) with only one grain. They are 10 minutes long.

The two amigos are Theo McDonald and Todd Harrison.....and it was done during a running launch so we tried our best to keep the background noise down.

Chuck

Good video, I got to see it here at work. You should have ended it with the K347 flight though :)

Thanks again for sharing it's pre-release.

Johnnie

Good video, I got to see it here at work. You should have ended it with the K347 flight though :)

Thanks again for sharing it's pre-release.

Johnnie

I wanted to add the install of the vent tubing and the flight which would have added another 2 minutes to an already long video for download. So after I get decent video of my flight I will make a second video to tie it all up. I was at the fill/fire controls for this flight and didn't get the kind of video I needed.

Chuck

Originally posted by ddmobley

DM

Aerotech had GSE, it was just different. When JR got his tanks filled at NYPOWER I moved away, I'm sure the burst pressure is off the scale, but it still bothered me being that close. And if he had a leak while filling at the least he'd have a headache. The scale and adapter hose are necessary and a good size tank. So to fill at the field this means MOST are dependant on others, the fill/fires can be done with no help with a small tank, and turned over in an hour. They have their downside but are cleaner to run up at the pad.

When Edward's come out they will be a great addition and especially, as you say, as a hybrid upper stage motor for an all hybrid hi flier.

Chuck

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy

Extremely well done! With minimal--if any--practice, I can now easily see why it wouldn't take less than 5-6 minutes to build a SRS motor...which isn't significantly longer than building any solid RMS load. Thank you for sharing this Chuck :)

Everytime I go to view a darned ole Quicktime flick, I always end up having to download a "dookey" amount of megabites of updates just to view something...

Johnnie,
Do yourself a favor & get VLC: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ It's an open-source (read: free) media player for all of the popular OSes that'll play all the MPGs, AVIs, MOVs, etc. that you can throw at it (except for Real Player but who wants to use that junk anyway!) It's a smaller download than any other media player I've found too.

HTH,

Originally posted by JSvolfan
The biggest thing is NO REGS.

I have to jump in here. That is not easily accomplished. APCP is not the only regulated item in Rocketry. Black Powder and Igniters and Ematches are all regulated. It is possible using Pyrodex or other Black Powder alternatives and ematch alternatives to make it ATF regulation free... but difficult.

Originally posted by lalligood
Extremely well done! With minimal--if any--practice, I can now easily see why it wouldn't take less than 5-6 minutes to build a SRS motor...which isn't significantly longer than building any solid RMS load. Thank you for sharing this Chuck :)

And no grease all over the place when you build it!

To clean the motor I just wiped the soot off the end at the snap ring (about an eigth inch) and that was it. There's nothing else to clean. The only quirk is the nozzle was welded to the last grain, so a propane torch was employed to head the nozzle and pull the nozzle off. They are about as user friendly as it gets. So when you add up all the assembly, fill and cleanup they are less time than any other motor on the market.

Chuck

Originally posted by edwardw
HAs for the power to weight ratio - we shouldn't be kidding ourselves with the motors we use - if we really wanted altitude we'd with a totally different approach to a propulsion system.

Edward

You made several good points but I wanted to clarify what I mean here. The burnout weight of a J350 in a 38/720 case is around 220g - the fired weight of a J115 Hypertek is around 875g. So you have lower average thrust (J350 being closer to J445 in reality) and far more parasitic weight.

As I see things this limits the flexibility that I have for shape and performance characteristics for my rockets. I like short fat goofy rockets. I like tube fins. I like ring-tail's. I like skirt-fins (funnel fins). I am not opposed to long thin 3FNC rockets - but they are not my primary interest.

So the extra weight PLUS the lower average thrust makes for a nasty combination. When you add this with the extra GSE and complexity... it's a bit much. I'm still trying to work up enough enthusiasm for the fun of learning something new - but I'm having trouble.

I have noticed that the price advantage of Hybrids is not uniform.

SkyRipper, RattWorks, WCH, Propulsion Polymers - essentially the hybrids with the simple plastic fuel grains in monotube motors seem to have a low per flight cost.

Contrail - which is a monotube - uses a fuel more like standard rocket fuel without the APCP. These reloads do not seem to me to have as much of a price advantage over APCP - particularly if you look at the K and under motors.

HyperTEK - which doesn't have a "motor" but uses a tank and an injector and more costly GSE - seems to be pricey compared to the other plastic fuel grains. While it is still lower cost compared to APCP - the advantage is again less compelling in the K and under size.

I would love to see a price break down with GSE, Nitrous, and Fuel across multiple hybrid manufacturers and standard APCP vendors. Ideally someone could develop a spreadsheet that allows people to update the price assumptions. If someone is very ambitious they could even add depreciation to the GSE to show the time value of money.

Back