What happened with the thread about CW?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
There was some good information about G12 sources that members like @Steve Shannon and others took the time to comment. I was in the process of reviewing then... :mad:

1703972477201.png

Not commenting on anything other than previous observations. When the bashing starts (possibly warranted) threads might go away at times. I'm assuming it is due to legal stuff or minimizing risks of legal stuff, but I have no clue.

I bet 50/50, depending on what other posts get put here that this thread will go away as well. I'm not bashing forum mods etc., just saying what I think might happen and that's OK with me as well.

I'd guess the best way to move forward is to post a new thread specifically reaching out to Steve and others and just ask the question directly about G12 suppliers and hopefully the mods have the time to reassemble those comments into that thread.

Any thread about variations of a particular fiberglass vendor often go off the rails and result in locked or deleted threads. It is a bummer, but it happens.

Not commenting on anything other than previous observations. When the bashing starts (possibly warranted) threads might go away at times. I'm assuming it is due to legal stuff or minimizing risks of legal stuff, but I have no clue.

I bet 50/50, depending on what other posts get put here that this thread will go away as well. I'm not bashing forum mods etc., just saying what I think might happen and that's OK with me as well.

I'd guess the best way to move forward is to post a new thread specifically reaching out to Steve and others and just ask the question directly about G12 suppliers and hopefully the mods have the time to reassemble those comments into that thread.

Any thread about variations of a particular fiberglass vendor often go off the rails and result in locked or deleted threads. It is a bummer, but it happens.
If I knew who the G10/G12/FR4 suppliers were to our vendors, I would not feel comfortable revealing them. It would be inappropriate. That’s their business.
But it’s an easy matter to consult something like ThomasNet to see well known industry sources.

I understand the dilemma faced by moderators, but when whole threads are deleted, the forum is effectively saying the positive and helpful contributions member have made are not valued. Doesn’t encourage members to contribute if their time ends up being wasted. :(

What Happened?

Avengers Infinity War GIF

I do have to say this is not unusual to me. I was a member of a forum where one moderator locked the other moderator out [ownership argument] and took the entire forum down for several years along with all the content. People that had years of posts were not pleased, to say the least. Fortunately, there was a competing forum where they could air their displeasure.

In the end the word will get around, which is one of the reasons I try to make my posts as memorable as possible.

I do feel bad for the people that have bad experiences.

Last edited:
If I knew who the G10/G12/FR4 suppliers were to our vendors, I would not feel comfortable revealing them. It would be inappropriate. That’s their business.
But it’s an easy matter to consult something like ThomasNet to see well known industry sources.
Thanks Steve, that is a good idea.

For me, and I assume others, the biggest challenge in rocketry has been finding replacement products that become unavailable, one of which is natural G12. You simply can't see what one can see in a photo like this using dyed G12.

1703975786319.png

Curtis/Composite Warehouse *are* a manufacturer of G12 near as I know. Their primary market is not hobby rocketry and often this causes long delays. I was hoping to give some suggestions to the op of the previous thread but it is deleted. If she is reading, try the chat feature with CW, Curtis often responds. Alternatively if you want a different vendor, Wildman, Mach 1 and Giant Leap are all great too. Hawk Mountain might still sell tubing but they no longer sell kits.

Maybe TRF has a complaint limit for vendors and the deleted thread reached that limit.:rolleyes:
I thought it was outstanding, it was “snarky”, had a mad mamma bear, and a link to Curtis getting a taste of his own medicine, excellent and much more entertaining than a glue thread or what rocket should I buy for my level 1 thread

My grandpa was a ham radio operator--WQEBP. Is that what you are referring to in your signature? Back then (60s-70s), the letters were his license plate code. I didn't realize operators still exist (if they do). Curious to know more.

I also forgot to mention two other great vendors for composites. Madcow Rocketry and Performance Hobbies by Ken Allen.
Love the Mikes at Madcow they were a school project sponsor. We were going to release a new kit design back in 2017 that used their 4" V-2 tail cone, but shortly after getting the project complete the tapered tail cones became unavailable.

... and I have purchased from Ken too, but right know all of Madcow's G12 is dyed red just like Wildman's.

... and I have purchased from Ken too, but right know all of Madcow's G12 is dyed red just like Wildman's.
If you want natural color G12 larger than 4” you likely need to go with Ken or CW. Giant Leap and Mach 1 both sell natural but limited to 4” diameter.

Maybe TRF has a complaint limit for vendors and the deleted thread reached that limit.:rolleyes:
I suspect the complaint limit for this particular vendor was exceeded years ago.

Personally I would prefer that such threads be locked rather than deleted. I can understand the general sentiment of not wanting endless Curtis-bashing threads, most of which look exactly the same, but it is also probably useful to have a new one periodically so newer members who are unaware get suitably informed.

I suspect the complaint limit for this particular vendor was exceeded years ago.

Personally I would prefer that such threads be locked rather than deleted. I can understand the general sentiment of not wanting endless Curtis-bashing threads, most of which look exactly the same, but it is also probably useful to have a new one periodically so newer members who are unaware get suitably informed.
What they should have is a sticky thread with a yellow or red caution pin/ flag so a possible costumer can read through the thread before deciding to take a chance on purchasing something from them. There have been other vendors that had problems with fulfilling orders towards the end of their existence but this guy keeps on going and going.

Good news, everyone!

I'm the mama bear who was upset because my son did not receive his rocket parts in time for Christmas. Several people have asked how the story ended, so here are the results:

* I had trouble reaching him, but I eventually spoke with Curtis on his personal cell phone.
* He explained that there was a six week shipping time. (I had missed that part previously. Oops.)
* Curtis asked if I would post the results here, which I gladly agreed to do, as soon as the parts were received.
* The parts arrived in Oregon yesterday, and my son is thrilled with them! He can't wait to build his next new rocket.

So, there is a happy ending to my story. Santa came after all!

Latest posts

Back