What Epoxy Do You Use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my builds so far have been with G5000/Rocketpoxy, but I have also used US Composites 150 epoxy with great results. It is what I used for all of the structural bonding on my L3 build. I know that many members on this forum use it with great results as well. I just bought my first batch of West Systems 105, and have yet to use it, but plan on a few builds this year with it.

Most of my builds so far have been with G5000/Rocketpoxy, but I have also used US Composites 150 epoxy with great results. It is what I used for all of the structural bonding on my L3 build. I know that many members on this forum use it with great results as well. I just bought my first batch of West Systems 105, and have yet to use it, but plan on a few builds this year with it.
Thank you my good man!

Global Adhesives. Epoxy question #495 this year. Type in epoxy in the search in the top right hand corner and you will come up with a week's worth of reading.

I use a 5 minute cure 2 part hobby epoxy for non structural applications and for structural strength I use the slower setting 30 minute cure epoxy…. the longer cure time has better structural integrity for those fin mounts & filets

US Composites laminating epoxy
820 series from soller composites
Fas-stick from fasco
Aeropoxy thick
Proline
Rocketpoxy
5 minute epoxy

Each has its place but I really enjoy the rocketpoxy from glenmark industries.
Ken

I’ve used G5000 for the longest time but finally ran out. Are there similar epoxies you guys use that you love?
not to be that guy.... but...

Depends, on what I am doing.

For bonding fins (highly loaded), I use DP-420 or DP-460 gray
  • I use this for 'laminating' boat tape or other cloth in joints or fillets.
For bonding fins lightly loaded or using fin pockets, I use 30 minute epoxy (sometimes 5 minute)
For laminating I use Epon 862 - Jeffamine D-400 with a few other things in it...
For bonding motor retainers, i us EPON-9394 or JB weld

Mike (dont call it glue) K

Glue Thread!!!!!! West Six10.

Happy Kermit The Frog GIF

Mostly Aeropoxy, with JB Weld for motor retainers and the foray into Hysol that I'm in the middle of. (So far, I like the Hysol with the mixing tubes and gun a LOT. Strong stuff, plus easy to apply.)

I've used Raka to build a couple of boats and some other things. If used as glue, with cotton flox, fumed silica, wood flour, or other things as fillers. I used it for other things too. Even as a component in a few rocket fuel experiments, though I probably shouldn't mention that according to the rules. It's handy, if you sometimes work in different temperatures, to get the hardener split between the 606 and 610. I have some other stuff, which I've used for laminating, which I think is some kind of Epon stuff with some kind of Jeffamine stuff (see kramer714's post, though that might not be the same stuff). It's not very good as glue, though. I've used many kinds of epoxy glue with success, such as Bob Smith 30 minute, and, recently, Balsa USA's Gold epoxy. Different flavors of Devcon, too. Recently, I've used JB Weld's ClearWeld, which seems pretty good as epoxies go. It's kind of expensive out of the 14ml double syringe, but that seems to work well. Maybe I'll refill it. I haven't used the splitter-mixer thing that comes with it, because that seems like it's probably just single-use, and I suspect it takes a lot of oomph to get the epoxy through. I've used those splitter things on a job, though, where we had a pneumatic gun to push glop through. It was the only way to get a reliable mix with the finicky polyurethane we were using.

If you want to leave your rocket in a hot car on a sunny day, a lot of these epoxies may sag, though some won't.

I like mixing small batches by weight, but not everyone says what ratio to use with their stuff.

not to be that guy.... but...

Depends, on what I am doing.

For bonding fins (highly loaded), I use DP-420 or DP-460 gray
  • I use this for 'laminating' boat tape or other cloth in joints or fillets.
For bonding fins lightly loaded or using fin pockets, I use 30 minute epoxy (sometimes 5 minute)
For laminating I use Epon 862 - Jeffamine D-400 with a few other things in it...
For bonding motor retainers, i us EPON-9394 or JB weld

Mike (dont call it glue) K
Thanks boss

For the US Composites 150 does it apply similarly to rocketpoxy?

For the US Composites 150 does it apply similarly to rocketpoxy?
Not really, its an epoxy very similar to West Systems 105 in consistency. It is thick, but nowhere near as thick as Rocketpoxy. For fillets, I will thicken it with a thickening agent, such as cabosil or milled fiber. I know that many use West Systems 405 mixed in with great results. For fillets, a good alternative is West System Six10. I have not used it yet, but I have heard it is easy to work with.

For fillets, a good alternative is West System Six10. I have not used it yet, but I have heard it is easy to work with.
Six10 works great for fillets, after your hand recovers from squeezing the caulk gun so hard for so long. I'm buying a battery operated one the next time I'm using it.

Hysol, by Henkel, a couple of varieties, 20 minute and 60 minute (gun Applied).

3M 420/460 for the same stuff (also gun applied).

I use West systems for laminating, and BSI on small rockets.

Rocketpoxy sits on the shelf.

Back