What does everybody make of this whole Sony Hack/"The Interview" thing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have a quite capable cyber defense and offense. I think we should given them a little taste of our capabilities.

Ever watch the movie "the Manchurian Candidate" 1961 with Frank Sinatra. Banned from theaters for nearly 10years because of the "plot". Similar to "the interview".
Finally released around 1970 I think.

I still think, given the NUMEROUS areas where today we depend on networking, ATMs, Power Grids, Law Enforcement, Stocks and especially CURRENCY and Commodity trading, we are FAR FAR FAR more vulnerable than many of you are aware. And no... I am not a prepper. They are simple kidding themselves. (IMO of course). They'll simply live a little while longer... but not much. :facepalm:

All BS. Now millions of stupid Americans will pay to see this garbage production, reinforcing stereotypes.

What if instead, this was a serious Tom Hanks movie about repression in North Korea? The same principles would still apply. North Korea would be upset about THAT, and have the same reasons to undermine it and attack those responsible for it, as they have done about this movie. Would you blame Hanks and the studio for it, or the actual bad guys?

- George Gassaway

If a stupid comedy about a fictional assassination plot of North Korea's demented twit ruler has their panties in such a major wad, I wonder what they think about this documentary aired on PBS?
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/secret-state-of-north-korea/

I think we have a quite capable cyber defense and offense. I think we should given them a little taste of our capabilities.

Given the number of communication entry points into the US vs. North Korea having a sinlge government controlled connection through China, the odds are heavily skewed in favour of N. Korea on this one.

I think Katy Perry was the money behind the hackers to keep this from being released...

Kenny

I seen that when it aired. Evidently the reality of his harsh oppression doesn't bother him in the least, but making fun of him does.

BINGO! If there is any one thing all ruthless dictators (AKA "Dicks") have in common, it is a total lack of a genuine sense of humor. Especially when they themselves are the butt of the joke. :rant::rofl:

The problem is that this is an area that is ideal for asymmetric warfare. We are far more reliant on our information infrastructure than North Korea is.

We might have the ability to hack into their systems and bring them down, but how much affect would it really have? They have a total of about 1,000 IP addresses for the ENTIRE country! That's nothing. You could bring down their entire Internet, and it would inconvenience a handful of elites, but their economy, such as it is, would just grind along in its low tech way as usual.

But OUR economy is very high tech, and almost everything is connected. That makes us FAR more vulnerable. It's not that we don't have defensive capabilities, we just have so much more to defend.

It's similar to the problems our advanced military capabilities have fighting against and defending against terrorist organizations. Our offensive capabilities have few targets that make much difference to the enemy, and our defenses have a LOT to defend.

Sony Pictures got what they deserved for paying the idiot brass what they do, and not spending some of it on cyber security for their company. Their network security was 10+ years outdated.

It was an inside job; a disgruntled employee or ex-employee.

All of the data stolen (gigabytes or terabytes) was done over several months; most likely internally by somebody waiting for the other shoe to fall off. Sony Pictures couldn't even detect a several month long data leak from their servers. This was long overdue.

The heads of the motion picture industry are one of THE MOST shallow, petty, vindictive group of people on the planet. Read the leaked emails... These are people making millions and millions of dollars a year and they act worse than 5 year olds fighting over a toy. They make the idiots in DC actually seem smart and knowledgeable.

The idiots in DC are just using this to have a "legitimate" reason to bully N Korea. North Korea is a non issue. They will implode by their own hand. They are no threat. They can't even take care of their own people.

The whole N Korea angle was started by Sony Pictures. This is what their best thinking came up with. "We're releasing a movie about N Korea, so it must be them."

The whole pulling it from theaters and then releasing it, is all a PR stunt to try to salvage some money, any money.

The truth will come out in time... I may be completely wrong.
A wise man once told me, "Don't blame malice for something that stupidity will more than account for."

The latest reports I read were that two female "persons of interest" were being sought in the Los Angeles area.

Not North Korea.

Well, I saw the movie today. I got to see it for free.

Not a great movie. Not a horrible movie. Middle-range. Had some decent moments. And some really gross moments often for the sake of grossness (One scene actually reminded me of something Monty Python did). Sex and drug references too much for the sake of gratuitous sex and drug references (partly to indicate the d-bagginess of James Franco's character). Not that I'm a prude, but some of those were just too over-the top lazy rather than clever (I think of how the Farrelly Brothers would have done some of those gross scenes more cleverly and funnier, like with some scenes with Jim Carrey in "Me, Myself, and Irene"). Then again the same can be said for over-the-top gratuitous Special Effects in a lot of Sci-Fi movies.

The North Korean part was not bad, mostly. And some surprises. But yeah, I could see where Kim Jung-un and N.K. officials would be upset about the idea of it, though it is a silly movie that wasn't worth any response. The cyber attacks ended up bringing FAR more world attention to the movie than it would have ever had if it had been left to open normally without controversy and probably would have bombed. And far more bad publicity to North Korea as a result too,

I will say a highlight is a GREAT cameo by Eminem. You do not need to like him to enjoy the cameo. In case you might ever see the movie later on Cable, do not google what he did, as you'll ruin the best scene of the movie.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
George,

I would have to disagree. I have seen it also. It was slightly entertaining. Parts were exceedingly stupid. Parts were funny.

It probably would have been better if I were drunk.

My teenage kids and their friends wanted to see it so I downloaded it on iTunes (rental for 5.99) and plugged the laptop into the TV. Watched the last 10 minutes myself...and I was glad I didn't invest any more of my time than that. So there...we struck a blow for artistic freedom and helped Sony cut some of its losses. But Lord, it wasn't good!

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Dan, Dan, Dan when are you going to learn; aluminum foil has only 33% of the shielding capability against Alien/Secret Government/Black Ops/Illuminati Mind Control Rays as did true “Tin Foil Hats”.

This is why the Aliens/Secret Government/Black Ops/Illuminati had tin foil removed from the market years ago.

Now if you want I can sell you an “Illudium Q-36 Foil Hat” for only $29.99*. It not only shields your brain from the aforementioned mind control rays but is far more stylish than what you are currently wearing.

Just ask your cat.

*Act now and I’ll send you an additional Illudium Q-36 Foil Hat for only $19.99!! That’s two Illudium Q-36 Foil Hats for only $49.98. Your cat will thank you for it.

Save yourself 48.99 and buy the book. :) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LDBWM6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Dan, Dan, Dan when are you going to learn; aluminum foil has only 33% of the shielding capability against Alien/Secret Government/Black Ops/Illuminati Mind Control Rays as did true “Tin Foil Hats”.

This is why the Aliens/Secret Government/Black Ops/Illuminati had tin foil removed from the market years ago.

Now if you want I can sell you an “Illudium Q-36 Foil Hat” for only $29.99*. It not only shields your brain from the aforementioned mind control rays but is far more stylish than what you are currently wearing.

Just ask your cat.

*Act now and I’ll send you an additional Illudium Q-36 Foil Hat for only $19.99!! That’s two Illudium Q-36 Foil Hats for only $49.98. Your cat will thank you for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back