What do you bring to launch day?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a list of about 50 things... don't need everything every launch, but it's on the list. A lot of the items depend on whether I'm bringing the camping trailer or now... and/or the ATV.

My typical (default) checklist. Extra stuff added depending on launch.

Rocket + Motor + Grain + Preheater + Igniters + Electronics (charged)
Airframe Tube + Parachutes packed correctly & piston & shock cords mounted correctly
Nosecone(s)
Nitrous Tank/s (filled enough)
RF communication electronics
Computer RF Transceiver Box & USB Cord
Mobile Phone Transceiver box
Large Dipole Antenna
Poles (x3 pieces) & Mounting Stand (Triton)
Car mount (plate) for diplole antenna
GSE Valve manifold + Plastic Strip Mount
Solenoid Saver & Transmitter
Launch Rail (+occy straps)
UHF Radios (+batteries charged)
Table + Chair
Notebook Computer(s)
White/Clear Box
Gray Red Box
12V Battery
Gloves
Binoculars
Hammer
PVC Rocket Cradles
Ensure all batteries are charged
inc Nose Cone Battery
inc RF Comms Battery
inc Phone Comms Battery
inc Solenoid Driver Battery
inc Solenoid Remote Control Battery

TP

Rockets
Motors
Parachutes
Tools, wire stripers, drill/driver with bits, epoxy, hammer, spikes, Carboard, popsicle sticks, Small screw drivers, long hemostats, multi tool, hobby knife, etc.
Tables, 2 each 6' and one 4'x4' and chairs.
binoculars
Drinks and snacks
Meds
Camera
A box with dog barf, Marco Polo, flight cards, thrustcurve predictions on a 3x5 card. TRA binder
10'x10' Pop up most of the time
Pop up bathroom tent with accouterments. Most times.
A box for garbage
Then there is weather related stuff like coats and gloves in the winter.

All my rockets are prepped at home. All I really need to bring to the launch is a screwdriver/magnet to arm the electronics and maybe an extra igniter in my pocket. Of course, I bring several tackle boxes, instead...

Thanks, Cameron. I have a 4 drawer plastic minichest that I bring. Bottom drawer is various parachutes in large ziploc bags based on general size, talc, and a dowel that I use sometimes to poke wadding down. Next drawer up has ziploc bags of dog barf, wadding, and a couple of larger parachutes (60-70"). It also has brochures for our club, NAR/TRA documents to pass out showing insurance, etc. Drawer 2 is mainly small reloads (AT and CTI), adapters 54-->38, etc. and Slimline motor retention pieces. The top drawer has D-links, hardware such as shear pins, small screws, tools that I use, tapes, pens, flight cards, and a bag of Estes igniters/plugs. I also carry a small tool box that contains misc Eggfinder stuff, screamers, bigger tools, and my HP "starters". I carry a small bottle of wipes which come in handy when setting up or tearing down club equipment even when I'm wearing leather gloves. I, like above, also have a small cooler with ice for water and a couple of cokes. I bring a small bag of jerky, crackers, and granola bars to munch on during the day. I have another bottle of water for cleanup or drinking. I always bring my handheld Garmin GPS since I use that to project a waypoint for a downed rocket or use in conjunction with my Eggfinder. Since I usually tow the clubs trailer to/from the site, I have to remember to have my receiver installed.

It also has brochures for our club, NAR/TRA documents to pass out showing insurance
This is a great idea to have! I will need to talk to my club about getting some brochures made!

I carry a small bottle of wipes
I too bring wipes, but they are apart of my vehicles loadout so I did not mention it in my video. Every time I touch an expended motor I use one after to clean up/remove any debris that may of gotten on my hands.

Back