What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiberglassed and vac bagged the final fin for the FiberSwarm. Was going to 'glass the airframe for my Estes PSII Nike Smoke, but my BIL decided to mow the lawn right about the same time as I was going to go outside to work on the rocket. Since I wanted the airframe 'glassed and not 'grassed, I decided to wait until tomorrow.

Through no fault of my own, I'm fairly sure I can still name all of the original Pokemon. The kids had the cards, the games, the little figures, I think I picked up a lot of it through osmosis. I coached a 3rd & 4th grade basketball team and one kid announced that he would no longer respond to his name, but only to Mew. And he would only communicate through mews. I still occasionally find the Burger King stuff in various boxes.

I'm surrounded by it. My wife is a Pokemon Go fanatic but at least that means she loves to go to launches as it is an excuse to spend all day walking around the farm in search of rockets and that leads to eggs being hatched in her game. Both of my kids have tons of the Pokemon stuffies so they name their rockets after their favorite Pokemon.The usual RSO at our launches has grandkids who love Pokemon so he finds it amusing to announce the various rocket names.

I'm surrounded by it. My wife is a Pokemon Go fanatic but at least that means she loves to go to launches as it is an excuse to spend all day walking around the farm in search of rockets and that leads to eggs being hatched in her game. Both of my kids have tons of the Pokemon stuffies so they name their rockets after their favorite Pokemon.The usual RSO at our launches has grandkids who love Pokemon so he finds it amusing to announce the various rocket names.
May as well throw this in here. A Charizard rocket from ~2017.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/charizard-a-pokemon-rocket.141094/

To paraphrase Lisa Simpson, "I know all those words, but I can't make sense of that paragraph."
Is this better?

Питання 2: Чи є які-небудь структурні недоліки від відсутності встановлення хвостової дільниці? Це просто вирізаний шматок труби, приклеєний між крилами, але можливо, він забезпечує фіксацію верхньої частини крил, які не контактують з корпусом літака?

Last decal on the BOSS. I did not take the suggestion from the instructions to cut it into smaller pieces. That honestly sounded like more of a hassle than just working with one big decal.

One thing about the BOSS decals that was a bit different - they seem to adhere more than other decals I have worked with, but this comes with some disadvantages. It is hard to slide the larger decals off the backing. I had to resort to peeling the larger decals off the backing like stickers. They would also stick whereever they touched, preventing me from adjusting their positions after putting them on the rocket. To fix this, I had to re-dip the decals in the water after taking them off the backing. Once they are in position and they dry a bit though, they aren't going anywhere.

20240504_122111.jpg

Had an early morning launch with the kids. Sent up the Big Bertha (B6-4), Der Red Max (B6-4) and Alpha III (B4-4). It was dead still and all rockets landed within 30ft of the launch rod, though the parachute of the DRM didn't unfurl. It was my fault for not repacking it before launch. Thankfully it still came down undamaged.

I also purchased a saw horse and parts to build a 4 rod launcher including controller electronics. I'll need to go to the local steel shop during the week up get the 3mm launch rod stock so the pieces at the big box store were very bent.

I actually did something rocket-related today, a little bit anyway. I'm building an Estes Bullpup and an Estes Black Brant 2. Today I sprayed a coat of white on each one. Next will be a lot of decals for the Bullpup, the BB will need some masking and black paint next, and then decals.

Went to a rocket launch today and launched my BT80 Delta IV Heavy and my Bt60 Sidewinder. I also launched some others such as my Boyce Maxi Pershing, LOC 4" V2, and my PML Phobos, and my dad did dis L1 on his LOC 4" Patriot. (I have posted more information about those in other threads) Anyway, the BT80 Delta IV heavy flight was successful!

On the other hand, the Sidewinder was not so successful. I tried to fly it on a Quest D20, but the D20 had a Cato, chuffing through the air, melting the casing, shot out the motor mount, and left this:
20240504_124056.jpg
20240504_124114.jpg
20240504_124104.jpg
20240504_124107.jpg

Somehow, not a single fin broke, and I only need to replace the motor mount with a new one to fix it. Videos of both flights are attached below.

Attachments

• 202405041841.mp4
    34.2 MB
  • 20240504_123333.mp4
    31.4 MB
Last decal on the BOSS. I did not take the suggestion from the instructions to cut it into smaller pieces. That honestly sounded like more of a hassle than just working with one big decal.

One thing about the BOSS decals that was a bit different - they seem to adhere more than other decals I have worked with, but this comes with some disadvantages. It is hard to slide the larger decals off the backing. I had to resort to peeling the larger decals off the backing like stickers. They would also stick whereever they touched, preventing me from adjusting their positions after putting them on the rocket. To fix this, I had to re-dip the decals in the water after taking them off the backing. Once they are in position and they dry a bit though, they aren't going anywhere.

View attachment 643702

Looks like a perfect candidate for a paint stencil cut on a Cricut or Silhouette.

Makes me wonder when the Oz importer will have these kits… 🤔

Went to a rocket launch today and launched my BT80 Delta IV Heavy and my Bt60 Sidewinder. I also launched some others such as my Boyce Maxi Pershing, LOC 4" V2, and my PML Phobos, and my dad did dis L1 on his LOC 4" Patriot. (I have posted more information about those in other threads) Anyway, the BT80 Delta IV heavy flight was successful!

On the other hand, the Sidewinder was not so successful. I tried to fly it on a Quest D20, but the D20 had a Cato, chuffing through the air, melting the casing, shot out the motor mount, and left this:
View attachment 643784
View attachment 643785
View attachment 643786
View attachment 643787

Somehow, not a single fin broke, and I only need to replace the motor mount with a new one to fix it. Videos of both flights are attached below.
You and your dad both had some good flights today! The flight of the sidewinder was definitely entertaining. It certainly looked like it will be a relatively straightforward repair when I saw it at the RSO table.

Had an early morning launch with the kids. Sent up the Big Bertha (B6-4), Der Red Max (B6-4) and Alpha III (B4-4). It was dead still and all rockets landed within 30ft of the launch rod, though the parachute of the DRM didn't unfurl. It was my fault for not repacking it before launch. Thankfully it still came down undamaged.

I also purchased a saw horse and parts to build a 4 rod launcher including controller electronics. I'll need to go to the local steel shop during the week up get the 3mm launch rod stock so the pieces at the big box store were very bent.
Can you get music or spring wire? It will be much less likely to get bent. Of course, I'm sure you'll be more careful than the guys at the store, anyway.

Woke up way before the roosters this morning to make the nearly 4 hour trek across Washington to the Sod Farm just north of Pasco... The weather gave us some challenges, but overall it turned out ok. Got two flights off the ground, my 2/3 scale scratch Astrobee D, and my Super Big Bertha. The Astrobee suffered some damage, but nothing that cannot be repaired. She will fly again! Picked up a couple of Estes PSII kits from @rharshberger, and then when I got back home tonight, had a package waiting for me from a recent ebay score....

IMG_4078.jpg

Got lucky and picked this up for $19 after shipping.... was shocked there were no other bidders on it! @BEC, does it look right? Bag is sealed, and just missing the hang tag...

Yes it does. I have a couple of examples of that version of the kit. No hang tag. Also a couple of Alpha IIs with essentially the same face card. Those date from right at the Damon transition. Nice price for one of that vintage.

That kit will build into what I consider the best Alpha configuration with the two AR-2050 ring motor mount, the BNC-50K nose cone and the original simple motor hook. Enjoy!

When I build a clone Alpha (rather from a kit) I do that configuration, or the next one with the first version plastic nose cone which is very similar in shape (not the current one).

Can you get music or spring wire? It will be much less likely to get bent. Of course, I'm sure you'll be more careful than the guys at the store, anyway.
I'll see what's available. My Estes porta pad uses a carbon fibre rod which I really like, but I bought the last one the local hobby shop had in stock. Might look at an online order, depending on shipping cost.

I'll see what's available. My Estes porta pad uses a carbon fibre rod which I really like, but I bought the last one the local hobby shop had in stock. Might look at an online order, depending on shipping cost.
Does your local hobby shop have a K&S Metals rack (or the NZ equivalent)? 1/8 inch music wire, long ago sold for stock to bend landing gears for model airplanes out of, makes good launch rods. At least here in my part of the US, a couple of local hardware stores stock K&S stuff, including 1/8 inch wire.

I still have a couple of such pieces from my first rocketry period (1967-1974) but I've gotten more locally very recently. But I have no idea what you might have available.

Carbon fiber rods are great unless you get a rod hang. Then they get ruined. :(

Except for the weight, music wire is superior. At least if you keep it from rusting. And there's stainless steel spring wire that's fairly close to the strength of music wire. Pultruded carbon fiber rods are strong in bending, but they won't take much of a concentrated load on the side. Any clamps should at least have radiused edges.

According to ASTM A228, 1/8" (3.18 mm) music wire should have a minimum yield strength of 261 kpsi (1.8 gPa). That's a lot!

Pulled out a project that I started long ago, and did some fitting and thinking about details. It's a 4" downscale of a 7.5" upscale (L3 cert rocket) of the Estes DOM from the Land of Ago; 260 Space Booster. The only parts not completely built from scratch are the tubes, as I had them on hand already; in fact they were the inspiration for it. If I get it finished it'll go on a 38mm research motor at LDRS.

Boo is checking fin alignment. :)

1714918515732.png

Except for the weight, music wire is superior. At least if you keep it from rusting. And there's stainless steel spring wire that's fairly close to the strength of music wire. Pultruded carbon fiber rods are strong in bending, but they won't take much of a concentrated load on the side. Any clamps should at least have radiused edges.

According to ASTM A228, 1/8" (3.18 mm) music wire should have a minimum yield strength of 261 kpsi (1.8 gPa). That's a lot!

My local hardware store has K&S racks, but I still have to check everything for straightness. The music wire, in particular, often has a weird spiral twist to it. Plain carbon steel rod is about $6/20 ft at the local commercial steel supply house, but not everybody has one of those between home and the office.

Just finished 'glassing and heat-shrink wrapping the airframe for my Estes PSII Nike Smoke. Used Soller Composites' light white sleeve and their heat-shrink wrap. Developed a pinhole in the shrink-wrap that oozes a bit of resin, but it should turn out okay. The blue shop towel is to soak up the resin that leaks from the pinhole.

GlassWrap.jpeg

Woke up way before the roosters this morning to make the nearly 4 hour trek across Washington to the Sod Farm just north of Pasco... The weather gave us some challenges, but overall it turned out ok. Got two flights off the ground, my 2/3 scale scratch Astrobee D, and my Super Big Bertha. The Astrobee suffered some damage, but nothing that cannot be repaired. She will fly again! Picked up a couple of Estes PSII kits from @rharshberger, and then when I got back home tonight, had a package waiting for me from a recent ebay score....

View attachment 643814

Got lucky and picked this up for $19 after shipping.... was shocked there were no other bidders on it! @BEC, does it look right? Bag is sealed, and just missing the hang tag...
Saw that one, and considered the bid, but since it was missing the hang tag, it made it just a builder. Congrats, nice to get one cheap.

My local hardware store has K&S racks, but I still have to check everything for straightness. The music wire, in particular, often has a weird spiral twist to it. Plain carbon steel rod is about $6/20 ft at the local commercial steel supply house, but not everybody has one of those between home and the office.
Mine's not on the way home, but it is only a 5 min detour. The local hobby shop had a very strong race car slant, and only a small raw materials section, no steel unfortunately.

If memory serves one of the old Estes mid-power pads had an aluminum launch rod. Is there an aluminum alloy that's stiff enough for a 1/8" rod? Less rod whip than steel. I have my doubts.

Wikipedia has only a small selection of materials in the Examples section of its article on Young's modulus. It has only one steel alloy, A36, with a modulus of 200 GPa, and only one alloy of aluminum, not specified, at 68 GPa. Of course, various alloys will have values that are closer together or further apart, but I rather any but a very expensive, exotic aluminum alloy (if that) could compete with steel.

EDIT: On the other hand, the stiffness of a member (stop tittering) is proportional to the fourth power of it's dimension of interest, so for a given material, a 3/16 inch rod is just over 5 times stiffer that a 1/8 inch rod. There are some metals, e.g. molybdenum, that have greater Young's moduli than steel, but just go with 3/16 steel.

Last edited:
Back