What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 2x18 cluster Gooney Vostok would be simple. All the parts are sitting here, but it's too easy.
Well, yeah, but I meant a non-gooney, with motors in the center and the conical side pods.
Hey, you could buy a Vostok and I'll throw in a cluster mount. :D
Since the shipping from you to me is boumd to be as much as from me to you, I'm afraid I'll have to buy domestically.

Well, yeah, but I meant a non-gooney, with motors in the center and the conical side pods.

Oh, a real Vostok...

Our first scale (semi scale) kit will be a Falstaff II. It's already on the drawing board.

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/falstaff.htm
Since the shipping from you to me is boumd to be as much as from me to you, I'm afraid I'll have to buy domestically.

If anyone were interested I'd make the Gooney Vostok available as a parts kit to keep international postage down. MMT, laser cut fins, vinyl, instructions. Add an Estes Jetliner or similar bits and you're good to go.

That rocket looks like a real-life goony Honest John...

It does! I was actually doing some initial drawings the same week @kuririn made a Gooney HoJo post with a Falstaff pic in it. Serendipity, methinks. :)

Not a huge amount of info about it on the net, and I'm not sure if @PeterAlway ever covered it in any of the ROTW publications.

Anyhoo, back to protoing our first two stager, 'Southern Aurora'. Some pics of the booster stage after testing... It's... different... 😁

'What's in the cardboard box?'

'I sold the last vintage rocket kit. Yay me!'

'Great. Now we can get that plastic tote out of the office.'

'Why?'

'To get more floor space.'

'But, it isn't empty...'

'What's in it?'

'<incomprehensible mumble>'

'Sorry?'

'Vintage... kits?'

'But you sold the last one.'

'Oh, that was the last one I wanted to sell.'

'Why didn't you just say that?'

'Oh, because then you'd ask me how many are in there...'

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why I no longer carry a firearm.

<SFX: shoots self in foot>

Estes Outlander, D13-4W: Success, but took six attempts and three igniters to get the motor lit. It's aggravating swapping out bad igniters in the 18/20 case reloads because the nozzle throat is too small to push an igniter tip through, meaning that the motor has to be disassembled to swap igniters.

Hmm thanks for the warning. Last week I flew my 18 mm Estes Mercury Redstone and Venus Probe on Quest D16-4's and thought how well they might do on the RMS 18/20 reloads with full D impulse. But if they're that mcuh f a pain if an igniter fails, that's a big minus.

Hmm thanks for the warning. Last week I flew my 18 mm Estes Mercury Redstone and Venus Probe on Quest D16-4's and thought how well they might do on the RMS 18/20 reloads with full D impulse. But if they're that mcuh f a pain if an igniter fails, that's a big minus.
I'm wondering if the AT/Quest First Fire Micro initiators can get through the core without disassembly?

Flew the sub-minimum diameter 18 mm E30 powered rockets with 10 sec delays. All ejected near apogee and drifted away never to be seen again.
18mm rockets 2.jpg
Built 4 more, this time with 7" D grains (F17-10's). Plan on flying them Friday.
18mm rockets 3.jpg

Braved floodwaters, storms and something else nasty to post out kits so customers would get them for Christmas. <insert superhero icon here>

Also saved a tortoise crossing the road who just 'shelled up' every time a car went past.

All in all a good day. And it hasn't rained since 6.00am. 😁

I might have to try my slow sparky in 18 mm motors. Will have to sift the titanium and only use the finest sizes.

printed out the Estes fin alignment guide only to measure it and find out that it's not accurate. Down at the bottom it says, " No accurate drawing" What a waste of human time.

Back