What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished another Estes Flutterby... I'm curious to see how these things actually fly, they look fairly unstable, even with the clay.
Also planning another mini/maxi rocket pair. Will start in tomorrow.

Well, along with the trailer I have been putting together, I've also signed up my girlfriend to NAR, and got her started on a MDRM, will get her joined up at MDRA this Saturday, also got my two nephews (my parents have custody of them) started on building some Estes kits.

dgreger,

I love your leadership skills to get the whole family involved into rocketry. I can't get even one person involved to join this lone rocketeer.

This morning I got my video of a recent launch with Deezil up onto Youtube (and posted in the LPR forum), then got released from work early (on a trip in Cali) and made a walk out to a small local hobby shop here near Van Nuys. Checking out the Rocket rack I asked if he had any vintage stuff. "Well, no, well I do have a Saturn around the corner here." My response went something like "Whaaaaaa?!?!? ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney", all uttered in one syllable. So I have a #2157 Saturn V and a D-Region Tomahawk being shipped home. It's been a good day. Expensive, but good.

Help my boys with...
LOC Aura, Estes Patriot, Merlin missle Sword. Long fun process but takes a little patience ,in the end it will be well worth it

Then for me..
Preparing WM V2 LDRS special
Painkiller micro - ordered retainer, and deploy items - prepped for epoxy

Repairing my Leviathan that I lawn darted

Ordered some motors from Countyline hobbies for a family launch this weekend

All really getting toward LDRS

I found a local source to get 1/4" aluminum rods in 6 foot lengths for 5.00. Stainless was 6.00. Very pleased!

Spent some time admiring my new NAR membership card and the HPR L1 on the bottom of it. Then went out and sort of admired the color coats on my 3" Frenzy XL, they were good enough only 1.5 weeks until L2 cert flight. Still have to get my decals on. The race is on Penrose, CO or Pahrump, NV which shipment arrives first, my Estes Scion or the parts for my upscale Aries SST, both shipped today.

Last edited:
With all the split fin designs out there, I thought I would make one of my own. Used the 2" body tube and nose cones from Estes and came up with this one. 23" long, two wraps of 2oz. fiberglass. It has one of my home made retainers in the boat tail. With a weight of 7 1/2 oz.
I'm hope for some where around 10 oz. after paint.
:cool:

Last edited:
With all the split fin designs out there, I thought I would make one of my own. Used the 2" body tube and nose cones from Estes and came up with this one. 23" long, two wraps of 2oz. fiberglass. It has one of my home made retainers in the boat tail. With a weight of 7 1/2 oz.

That is a nice design. I'm not really a fan of the split fin type of rocket but that one has something ;)

Hi new guy :) Looking forward to seeing photo's of your rockets :)

Steep relearning curve here but delighted to reconnect! First project will be to rehabilitate an Aerotech Initiator starter set(never flown) from a dusty pile at a local garage sale last weekend. Photos will follow in a separate thread...!

I like it! :clap:
Can't wait to see her with some paint!

Attached a 3/16 launch lug to my Ugly Bertha. Put the first white coat on my stock Big Bertha. Needs at least one more coat before I add black to make a roll pattern.

Steep relearning curve here but delighted to reconnect! First project will be to rehabilitate an Aerotech Initiator starter set(never flown) from a dusty pile at a local garage sale last weekend. Photos will follow in a separate thread...!

Yard sale rocket, cool :) Especially if it was at a yard sale price. The designer of that rocket posts here and don't worry about the learning curve. There's so much info and help here you'll be walking the walk like the rest of us soon ;)

Picked up about 150 A, B & C motors off someone on Craigs List. They are a little aged, but seem to have been stored well. Didn't pay much....so hopefully these will still work well.

Picked up about 150 A, B & C motors off someone on Craigs List. They are a little aged, but seem to have been stored well. Didn't pay much....so hopefully these will still work well.

...got any B14's?....worth their weight in real silver coin....maybe more....Arizona, huh?....

That is one sweet design! Copied photo to my wishlist folder :)

Any chance of seeing a Rocksim or Open Rocket file for that beauty?

I'd like to thank you guys for the kind words. Dave,Top and morlock. I tried to keep the same angles on the trailing edge and forward edge of the two fins. And the same for the fin tips. I think this is what gives it a good look to a split fin Dave.
I call these my 20 dollar rockets. I thought I'd show you guys how I did the nose cone. The coupler tube form estes is so thin I never thought it could handle the shock from the chute deployment, So I figured that the body tubes from Balsa machine the same size as the aerotech 1.9 tubes fit inside the estes 2" coupler. Stiffened it right up. Then the coupler stock for the aerotech tube fit up into the nose cone so I can put my chute and shock cord up into the nose cone. This picture shows how it all will fit togather.

Sky Hydration
Got to rummaging around some of my Parts/Tubing boxes and found some inspiration.:)

Oops, forgot to mention that that was the name I came up with for a possible build.
I was "Hydrated" so to speak, and it's been raining like crazy, so I chose that for a name.

Last edited:
That is one sweet design! Copied photo to my wishlist folder :)

Any chance of seeing a Rocksim or Open Rocket file for that beauty?

I've not had a chance to run any simms on it yet. But if you'd like to give it a try I could send you all measurements on it. I made one a few weeks ago with out the boat tail that was only 17" tall with 3 fins. After paint it was 9oz. I figured it went 4500' on the G-80 I flew it on. But I lost it in the tall grass. Oh heck it was only a 20 dollar rocket.

I like it! :clap:
Can't wait to see her with some paint!

I'm always trying new things top. This one I got some Silver leaf I want to try. Couple bands to see how much it would reflect. There's got to be a way around that chrome paint.

I'd like to thank you guys for the kind words. Dave,Top and morlock. I tried to keep the same angles on the trailing edge and forward edge of the two fins. And the same for the fin tips. I think this is what gives it a good look to a split fin Dave.
I call these my 20 dollar rockets. I thought I'd show you guys how I did the nose cone. The coupler tube form estes is so thin I never thought it could handle the shock from the chute deployment, So I figured that the body tubes from Balsa machine the same size as the aerotech 1.9 tubes fit inside the estes 2" coupler. Stiffened it right up. Then the coupler stock for the aerotech tube fit up into the nose cone so I can put my chute and shock cord up into the nose cone. This picture shows how it all will fit togather.

Me likey the nose cone mod, I see a forthcoming scale Patriot Missle build that may get that treatment, very easy to mod for dual deploy. The rocket is nice looking too, but the nose cone mod I really like, on a rocket like yours where additional nose weight may be necessary the extra weight of the mod is not a detractor.

I've not had a chance to run any simms on it yet. But if you'd like to give it a try I could send you all measurements on it. I made one a few weeks ago with out the boat tail that was only 17" tall with 3 fins. After paint it was 9oz. I figured it went 4500' on the G-80 I flew it on. But I lost it in the tall grass. Oh heck it was only a 20 dollar rocket.
Sure, I'd love to have the measurements!

I'm in the process of moving to our new house so I probably won't have time to build a sim file soon but I'd still love to be able to do it later.

Last night, I put a white base coat on the bottom of my BT60 upscale of a NASA Pegasus (top will follow tonight). Then I got a start on my 4" Der V-3, basically just marking out the parts. And changed a tube on my touring bike, but I guess that's not strictly rocket-related...

Completed my Fletcher, went with a little different scheme to try to keep it from warping in the sun. The yellow is much richer than the cell phone pic lets on.

IMG_1371.jpg

I'd like to thank you guys for the kind words. Dave,Top and morlock. I tried to keep the same angles on the trailing edge and forward edge of the two fins. And the same for the fin tips.
I think this is what gives it a good look to a split fin Dave.
I call these my 20 dollar rockets. I thought I'd show you guys how I did the nose cone. The coupler tube form estes is so thin I never thought it could handle the shock from the chute deployment, So I figured that the body tubes from Balsa machine the same size as the aerotech 1.9 tubes fit inside the estes 2" coupler. Stiffened it right up.
Then the coupler stock for the aerotech tube fit up into the nose cone so I can put my chute and shock cord up into the nose cone. This picture shows how it all will fit togather.

Hey EstesBasher thanks for sharing !

When I cut off the end of the shoulder for access and to open as a chamber the shoulder loses all rigidity - and I do not trust epoxing kevlar to the plastic as an anchor point.

Previously had done a 'Coker' on the nose cone by epoxing in a CR just past where the shoulder starts and then bolting a bulkhead to it..worked great in a 4 inch Mega Der Red Max clone and my LOC V2 clone - but does not downscale well into a 2 inch tube .

Will try this or glue in a small bulkhead in the top of the nosecone for a kevlar loop on my next opprotunity.

Kenny

I stared at my, still in the box, Estes Saturn V. Just not sure if I am ready to tackle it.
:confused2:

Last edited:
Back