What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This. I am getting into functional and structural differences. Creativity for years in playing with how to package and manufacture the pieces of the machine differently, but still all 3/4FNC. Because that's where aerodynamics leads.
I've been interested in cloning older designs that I liked, and even designs that I've seen photos of here. I've also been interested in building to certain goals such as rocket size, motor size, and altitude. Everything I build is intended to fly and our club flies at a large field and a small field so that gives me 2 different types of rockets to build.

Venus Probe repair. Last launch I had a problem with the body parachute so unfortunately the rocket did a nose dive. The body are two different size tubes joined together and it's the join which took the most damage. I got replacement parts. I need to work on sanding away the glue so repairs can start.
PXL_20240118_235126112.jpg

New display stand assembled today for the JP Accur8 wrapped Interceptor. Brings back some old memories of the Estes Interceptor back in the day.

display-stands.jpg

IMG-7197-3.jpg

IMG-7195-3.jpg

IMG-7188-2.jpg

I received my black aluminum tags which look like dog tags today and found a small envelope to send to my friend who has an engraving machine so that he can put my name and phone number on it i'll put one in each one of my rockets probably attach it right at the base where the parachute will be attached. The aluminum engraved tags will not be affected if it's outside for a year or two by UV damage. They sell them on Amazon and you get 25 in a package.

First of all, thanks for the comments on the Estes MIRV. I have done a little research on what others have done how it flew. The first thing I will do is to make sure that I launch it on a day with very little to no wind. I will probably start with the B6 booster, as several flights have shown it to be an adequate booster for this model, and the initial thrust is just about he same as a C6.
c6_vs_b6.JPG
I am building it as light as I can, using acrylic paints, and not worrying too much about appearance. There are a lot of great tips out there, and I will be incorporating some, like the Kevlar leader for the shock cord, and small crepe paper streamers for the sustainers, that improve visibility

IMG_5020_Small.jpg.

Progress so far, Booster assembly is done, except for the launch lug, which will be added with the upper lug for alignment, and the fins are being added to the sustainers, and the fins are being glued on one by one.

Ventured into the heat of the garage for an hour or two today. That was as much as I could bear in the 33degrees C and 98% humidity. Sweat/head band was a must to stop dripping on my works. Its been pretty much like this since Christmas Day!

Cut the 38mm braided Carbon Fibre home made tube to length for the lower and upper sections, plus I cut a short section for the AV bay switch band which got epoxied in place. Finalised the fit for the Av bay bulkhead plates. Sloooow progress. 🥵

Big Nuke 3E is getting a new altimeter bay. The bulkheads and internals remain the same, just replacing the coupler, stiffy, and switchband. It's almost done, just need to drill the holes for the switches.

I have one last set of external fillets to do on the I-ROC and then I'll use my hole saw to gain access to the inside of the nosecone and then I'll drill a 1/4" hole at the bottom of the nosecone where I'll insert an eyebolt. Once I get everything tightened on both sides of the nosecone shoulder, I'll put epoxy over the threads and washer to secure it all.

My 5.5" Bullet was structurally completed. I have asked my friend to sew me special chutes for this one. The Bullet is named "Bajan Thunder". I'm half Bajan and this rocket will fly the Bajan colors.....the "Bajan" is in blue, "Thunder" in yellow. A Bajan flag will also be a fixed to the payload tube. My chutes will be in the colors of the flag that flys over the island of Barbados. I'll fly it in April on a J350 in Amesbury, MA. It's next flight will be at LDRS on a J275.

Finally decided to take my spare parts I got off of Ebay, and build a replacement MPC Moon-Go. I was surprised that the Nose cone and reducer, which are actual MPC Spares do not have the louvers like the original one did, but are smooth. The fin can is from an "SX-25" booster add on Quest used to sell. Looks to be same mold, but different color from the original MPC

Attachments

• IMG_20240120_175231863.jpg
    IMG_20240120_175231863.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240120_175237431.jpg
    IMG_20240120_175237431.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240120_175244145.jpg
    IMG_20240120_175244145.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240120_180329828.jpg
    IMG_20240120_180329828.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • MoonGo Nose.jpg
    MoonGo Nose.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • moongo.jpg
    moongo.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Mulled over SKWID painting.

The original idea was an organic green over sand using masking fluid and a sponge, but I want to see what roll it gets in boost. Going for a simple white with black and red vinyl.

IMG_3818.jpegIMG_3817.jpeg

Swing test delayed as my digital scales went poopy in their trousers. Might use Estes clay pats as a known mass object until the new scales arrive.

Big Nuke 3E is getting a new altimeter bay. The bulkheads and internals remain the same, just replacing the coupler, stiffy, and switchband. It's almost done, just need to drill the holes for the switches.

I have one last set of external fillets to do on the I-ROC and then I'll use my hole saw to gain access to the inside of the nosecone and then I'll drill a 1/4" hole at the bottom of the nosecone where I'll insert an eyebolt. Once I get everything tightened on both sides of the nosecone shoulder, I'll put epoxy over the threads and washer to secure it all.

My 5.5" Bullet was structurally completed. I have asked my friend to sew me special chutes for this one. The Bullet is named "Bajan Thunder". I'm half Bajan and this rocket will fly the Bajan colors.....the "Bajan" is in blue, "Thunder" in yellow. A Bajan flag will also be a fixed to the payload tube. My chutes will be in the colors of the flag that flys over the island of Barbados. I'll fly it in April on a J350 in Amesbury, MA. It's next flight will be at LDRS on a J275.

Both of my two I-rocs, the the first one was what they first produced back in those old days...I never used external Fish Fillets... Most of my rockets I don't do external Fish Either anymore.

I bought the Israeli Shavit 3D parts kit from Boyce last week. It's produced by Aggressor Aerospace. I had the body tubes I needed so I started on it yesterday and finished today. They recommend using CA, but I used 5-minute epoxy. When I try to use CA I seem to get it everywhere. Including a photo from the Boyce website showing the finished rocket. There are small black fins you can't see against the dark background. Also started a Loc Blaster and the Estes Doorknob.

Attachments

• Shavit.jpg
    Shavit.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Shavit markings.png
    Shavit markings.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Today we had our monthly launch. Fortunately the weatherman was wrong again. Forecast was a 10 mph wind and a 40% chance of rain. When I got there at 8:30 there was no wind at all. No rain just a high overcast. I spent the first hour socializing. Then unpacked the car. After I set up and started getting the first rocket ready about ten UNLV students arrived. Spent the next hour helping them. They didn't know how to drill a delay, fold a chute, didn't have quick links, swivels or Nomex blankets and dog barf. I gave them what they needed and then supervised. It was 11:00 before I got my first rocket up. It landed about 100' from the LCO table. When I got back to my spot one of the spectators asked, do they always come down that close. I told him almost never. The second rocket also came down about 100' from the LCO table. The third rocket came down about 50' from the LCO table. All very short walks. We flew until 1:00. I brough 6 and flew three. The last rocket I made from a shipping tube. Good up and down. While I was visiting one of the group was talking about a project he is starting. It's a two stage. L to L. He expects 50K feet. I also meet another spectator. As soon as I heard him speak I asked him what part of the UK he came from. I was surprised at his answer. He came from Mildenhall. There isa US base there called RAF Mildenhall there. That's about 15 minutes from where we were at RAF Lakenheath. It was like old home week.

As soon as I edit the videos I'll try to post them.

Finished up the 4" scratch upscale of the Magnum Hornet. Pictured next to it's clone little brother. Added it to the ever expanding paint pile. Ordered up some fins for a new 2.56" / 38mm build. Then put the miter saw to use and cut the tube fins for Bits-n-Pieces II. Will start spiral filling and sanding those later today.
IMG_4944.JPGIMG_4945.JPGIMG_4948.JPG

Both of my two I-rocs, the the first one was what they first produced back in those old days...I never used external Fish Fillets... Most of my rockets I don't do external Fish Either anymore.
Please explain: what are fish fillets?

There isa US base there called RAF Mildenhall there. That's about 15 minutes from where we were at RAF Lakenheath. It was like old home week.
Please explain: why is a US base called RAF something?

Filled and sanded all 12 fins on the MIRV.
Added a couple dozen dents to the foam bodies in the process.

Back