What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painting season arrived with light enough winds to actually work outside. I 1st coat primed 8 LPR and MPR rockets today. Ran out of primer or I would have done another 10+. :clapping: I went to order online more primer but they were out so tomorrow I run down to the local shop and clean out their stock! Then sand sand sand!

Last edited:
Put a coat of primer on the Leviathan clone, started an Estes Big Bertha for the youngest (she's <5 so dad does most of the building), and gave the oldest an Estes Cosmic Explorer for her birthday.

Finished painting the Argent. My wife says I should call it "Hello Kitty"
It occurs to me that color scheme will be hard to see at altitude. I wonder if anybody has ever done studies on that. I realized that I typically paint with medium to light colors, most of my rockets have red as the darkest color. I want to be able to see them at altitude but I also want to be able to see them hiding in the tall grass.

Someone at our launch a few months ago had a rocket painted light blue. We told them it will disappear at altitude.

Finished up the fillets on the EZ-DD and built some universal rail buttons that will fit both 1010 and mini rail.

It occurs to me that color scheme will be hard to see at altitude. I wonder if anybody has ever done studies on that. I realized that I typically paint with medium to light colors, most of my rockets have red as the darkest color. I want to be able to see them at altitude but I also want to be able to see them hiding in the tall grass.

Someone at our launch a few months ago had a rocket painted light blue. We told them it will disappear at altitude.
If you aren't wearing polarized glasses, dark colors show up best. At least that's my experience. If you're wearing polarized glasses on a clear day, the sky at high angles will look much darker than it does near the horizon, and it gets more complicated.

Finishing up the drogue side of my test 7.5" V2 HED Cannon bay.

View attachment 624571
(Metal washers glued on to help support and cut the shear pins.)
View attachment 624569
View attachment 624572
Still need sampling holes, but a neat package so far.
At the last club launch, the first test of my HED Cannon went very well.

1000016800.jpg

View attachment 1000017223.mp4

It was pretty windy, so I had to max out the rail trajectory and the rocket landed by the pads.

View attachment 1000016798.mp4

Back