3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Printed a Dragon Crew nosecone for BT-60. But now I want to scale up to 3", I think. Printed an escape tower for the Estes Mercury rocket as well -- all as a single print to avoid gluing those three sections together...

STL Files
STL files for the 54mm apogee nose
to finish,
  • drill / tap for 1/4-20 eye bolt
  • drill tap for 10-24 top mount
  • drill tap (4 places) 4-40 altimeter mount
  • drill tap (1 place) 4-40 for wire holder
  • drill tap (2 places) 4-40 for battery retainer
  • drill / tap (3) #6-32 holes in the base (nosecone attachment)

Attachments

• 54 nose with apogee.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A 4", PETG version of the Estes BNC-50X for my upscale Astron Sprint. Printed in two parts for height, and CA'ed together with a tapered coupler ring I printed for the purpose.

Might strengthen the joint with JB Weld, but the CA gel alone seems to have made a damn strong bond in the PETG.

The shoulder is short (again, for height), but sized to go into a coupler tube, which will be the actual shoulder going into the body tube.

20240321_165723.jpg

Last edited:
Printed IPL's Powerslide fin can. Uses a 54mm MMT as the body. Designed a nosecone w/ ebay (inspired by IPL). It's printing now. EDIT: The ebay sled is for my new Eggtimer Quasar. Starting build tomorrow! Woohoo!

1711076611048.png Powerslide.jpg

On the other printer, I'm cooking off the Sapphire fins/nosecone that Chuck put up on Printables a while back. Added some centering rings and retainer.

1711076533927.png

Sometimes (read: Most times), I can't leave well enough alone. I had some issues with the Sapphire Fins being really thing and warping (my issue, that I fixed with reducing bed heat). I increased the thickness to 3.18mm (1/8-in give or take a couple thousandths of an inch). I also have added some quality of life components to the build:
  • Fin alignment guide modified to accommodate the thicker fins
  • Ejection baffle - I have used this lots of times in the past and it works really well.
  • BT-50-18mm MMT with an updated retainer ring. This will accept an 18mm tube sleeve and slips right into a BT50
  • Launch Lug
Screenshot 2024-03-23 220626.png
All that's left is:
  • Screw eye
  • shock cord
  • Streamer/Parachute
  • maybe a sheet or two of wadding just in case
  • Paint/Decals
  • Motor
  • Park
I will be posting the remix on my Printables profile soon, but I wanted you guys to have first crack at it. Please let me know if there any issues you see.

Attachments

• Sapphire Builders Kit.zip
    419 KB · Views: 0
Sometimes (read: Most times), I can't leave well enough alone. I had some issues with the Sapphire Fins being really thing and warping (my issue, that I fixed with reducing bed heat). I increased the thickness to 3.18mm (1/8-in give or take a couple thousandths of an inch). I also have added some quality of life components to the build:
  • Fin alignment guide modified to accommodate the thicker fins
  • Ejection baffle - I have used this lots of times in the past and it works really well.
  • BT-50-18mm MMT with an updated retainer ring. This will accept an 18mm tube sleeve and slips right into a BT50
  • Launch Lug
View attachment 636831
All that's left is:
  • Screw eye
  • shock cord
  • Streamer/Parachute
  • maybe a sheet or two of wadding just in case
  • Paint/Decals
  • Motor
  • Park
I will be posting the remix on my Printables profile soon, but I wanted you guys to have first crack at it. Please let me know if there any issues you see.
I increased the diameter of the nosecone by 0.2mm to 25mm even. This gives me the best fit for Estes BT-50 tubes.

Attachments

• Sapphire Nosecone v4.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
Well...it happened... I printed this.
blob.JPG

And then had to do this....

Blob 2.JPG

But, luckily I had a spare hot end that been on the shelf for years... never thought I'd need the whole thing, maybe the thermistor or heater, but now I'm replacing the whole thing.
spare hot end.JPG

The SpiderMax scratch build (there's a build thread on here somewhere) that I worked on last year suffered a broken fin - from the car ride home of all things. I originally printed the fins standing up so the layers make the fin rather weak. Last weekend, my oldest son decided that he wanted to build one so I fired up the printer and started printing another set of parts. I decided that after printing the fins, I don't like printing them standing up. I put them on the side (and used PETG this time), and they came out amazing. I had aggressive airfoils on the V1 fins but they wont work out for flat printing. I redesigned them in F360 with a round over and this is a decent compromise. I tried to break one and tweaked my wrist, so these should be able to handle an I-motor, if the flex doesn't cause the rocket to eat itself ::Note to self: Test this on the far-away pads::

I also resized the fin carriage from 29mm to 38mm. The Nosecone was reworked and I included the nosecone ebay. I also included a few parts from the 3D Menace project. That was nice not having to reinvent the wheel. I should have most of the parts printed out this weekend.

I also found some mailing tubes at Office Depot and snagged a couple. They are exactly the same size as LOC 3" tubes inside and out which was a nice find, so now I can get cranking on the Menace and SpiderMax Too.

1711754829682.png

SpiderMax Fins.jpg

Last edited:
The SpiderMax scratch build (there's a build thread on here somewhere) that I worked on last year suffered a broken fin - from the car ride home of all things. I originally printed the fins standing up so the layers make the fin rather weak. Last weekend, my oldest son decided that he wanted to build one so I fired up the printer and started printing another set of parts. I decided that after printing the fins, I don't like printing them standing up. I put them on the side (and used PETG this time), and they came out amazing. I had aggressive airfoils on the V1 fins but they wont work out for flat printing. I redesigned them in F360 with a round over and this is a decent compromise. I tried to break one and tweaked my wrist, so these should be able to handle an I-motor, if the flex doesn't cause the rocket to eat itself ::Note to self: Test this on the far-away pads::

I also resized the fin carriage from 29mm to 38mm. The Nosecone was reworked and I included the nosecone ebay. I also included a few parts from the 3D Menace project. That was nice not having to reinvent the wheel. I should have most of the parts printed out this weekend.

I also found some mailing tubes at Office Depot and snagged a couple. They are exactly the same size as LOC 3" tubes inside and out which was a nice find, so now I can get cranking on the Menace and SpiderMax Too.

View attachment 637723

View attachment 637725
Nice - build thread?

Nice - build thread?
It's coming. I'm finishing printing the parts. I have pics as I'm moving, and I'll put them all together this week.

Sneak Peak:
SpiderMax Too Preview.jpg

Oh, you might have noticed that these are not the same fins as the previous post. This set is mine. The previous are going to my son. These have no airfoils baked in.

We had an impromptu park launch after lunch of some of my recent builds. We launched:
* WAC Corporal BT20: A8-3 (underpowered), B6-6 (Nice launch)

* RedMax Mini on A8-3: Great flight until the ejection then I had many fails including nosecone separation and body tube melted at top, finally landing right at the crash site, cracking the fin can when it impacted in the basketball court behind us. I know what the problem is, and have some ideas on improvements. Engineering is an iterative process

* BetaMax BT-20 on B6-6: Great flight with perfect deployment. Streamer was too short and it came in a bit hot and broke a fin. The baffle worked amazing with no damage to the chute, using no wadding or fire blanket

* Estes Alpha III on A8-3: Perfect up and down

Screenshot 2024-03-31 170318.pngScreenshot 2024-03-31 170112.png
WAC Corporal

Screenshot 2024-03-31 165136.png
RedMax Mini

Screenshot 2024-03-31 173927.png
Alpha III

Screenshot 2024-03-31 174010.png
Betamax

Also, I'm making tweaks to the SpiderMax Too (Big Red Max) nosecone. It was about 1mm short on the diameter and the coupler needed some tweaking. I will print them tonight and should be able to continue with the build this week.

Happy Easter to you all!

Modular sled for my 6” rockets with removable GPS section that has its own 1000mah lipo for long pad sits. Dual missleworks RRC2s with 3 independent pull pin switches on one pin. All stand-offs, mounts and wire pass throughs printed in. Happy with how it came out, cant wait to fly it.

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

I finished the Nosecone for the SpiderMax Too rocket. It was scary because the nose cone is 323mm and the gantry goes to 350mm. With the bed slinging around, I was afraid it would break loose even with the brim and raft I used. It hung in like a champ and came out perfect!

I also started the Spider-Max Too Build thread

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_1ef61ac3-b83b-4554-9ac8-ebc60d762545.jpg
Nosecone Parts

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_af24181b-f3cb-43aa-bf6e-d0ebaf6bc1c3.jpg
Coupler with Sled - "like a glove..."

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_7250d620-c836-4037-8441-ffe6b00a6142.jpg
Fully Assembled - Goldilocks Fit

Today, I took a Chuck's Nike Smoke fin from Printables and printed it... just to see. It printed real nice. I thought about what I could do with that and well, that turned into this:
Screenshot 2024-04-02 172707.png

I had to modify the fin tab, since they fin directly into the can for this design. I also made it a little bigger. Its printing now. I'll have pics in the morning. I should have it mostly built tomorrow evening. Maybe even have some paint on it this weekend. When it's done and flown, I will post it up with the DRM and Goblin builds from my Extreme Series on Printables.

Today, I took a Chuck's Nike Smoke fin from Printables and printed it... just to see. It printed real nice. I thought about what I could do with that and well, that turned into this:
View attachment 638447

I had to modify the fin tab, since they fin directly into the can for this design. I also made it a little bigger. Its printing now. I'll have pics in the morning. I should have it mostly built tomorrow evening. Maybe even have some paint on it this weekend. When it's done and flown, I will post it up with the DRM and Goblin builds from my Extreme Series on Printables.
I hope to see that upload soon. I will surely print one.

View attachment 638447

Where'd you find the other parts?

changed the print head on our printer..

Waiting for co-workers to give me something to "try"..

also trying to get our older 'Makergear' printer up & running..

Back