3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished the design of the RedMax Mini Builder's Kit. I have printed a few but I completed three for my son, my nephew, and me! I was going to maiden them this Saturday but we just 14 inches of snow and it's still coming, so I suspect the launch will be cancelled.

Anyways, the builder's kit is up on Printables. It includes the nosecone, body tube, fincan, and retainer. I also added the .3mf and OpenRocket files. It should be a fun park flyer with almost 500ft on a B4-4 and the C6-7 simmed at over 1000 ft! I'm not too sure about that one, so you know I am obligated to try it. The RMS 18/20 with a D24-10 sims at 2,280ft. I will NOT try that (until I can figure out how to find it). Since I'm snowed in for the weekend, I'll do a build thread for it, in case anyone is interested.

Btw, here is what the 3mf file looks like when trying to slice it in BambuLabs (Prusa derived) slicer..

1710507277558.png

And if I open just the body tube STL itself. Even trying to use 'Fix Model' doesn't help.

1710507360553.png

Anyways, the builder's kit is up on Printables. It includes the nosecone, body tube, fincan, and retainer. I also added the .3mf and OpenRocket files. It should be a fun park flyer with almost 500ft on a B4-4 and the C6-7 simmed at over 1000 ft! I'm not too sure about that one, so you know I am obligated to try it. The RMS 18/20 with a D24-10 sims at 2,280ft. I will NOT try that (until I can figure out how to find it). Since I'm snowed in for the weekend, I'll do a build thread for it, in case anyone is interested.

How many walls are you using on the body tube? Just asking because I was using 2 walls with both PETG and PLA+ on both BT20 and BT50 body tubes, and well here are some of my results with the Estes BP motors and their ejection charges.

PXL_20230618_194737343.jpgPXL_20230618_195011842.jpgPXL_20230617_173954131.jpgPXL_20230617_165906641.jpg

How many walls are you using on the body tube? Just asking because I was using 2 walls with both PETG and PLA+ on both BT20 and BT50 body tubes, and well here are some of my results with the Estes BP motors and their ejection charges.

View attachment 635526View attachment 635527View attachment 635528View attachment 635529
Which is why I still internally sleeve the body tube with a cardboard tube, it insulates the plastic from the approximately 900°F (iirc) ejection charge firing temp. The sleving also prevents layer failures on thinwall tubes as well.

Btw, here is what the 3mf file looks like when trying to slice it in BambuLabs (Prusa derived) slicer..

View attachment 635524

And if I open just the body tube STL itself. Even trying to use 'Fix Model' doesn't help.

View attachment 635525
I'm just seeing this. Loading the .3mf file using OrcaSlicer 1.9.1, my view looks like this:

1710515972399.png
However, the file won't load with PrusaSlicer at all. I will probably have to simply remove the .3mf and/or combine the parts into a single .stl. Maybe I'll try with PrusaSlicer

Thank you for the feedback.

Which is why I still internally sleeve the body tube with a cardboard tube, it insulates the plastic from the approximately 900°F (iirc) ejection charge firing temp. The sleving also prevents layer failures on thinwall tubes as well.
Yes, or cut up a cereal box and roll it up to act as a liner will help

The fincan has 4 walls but the body tube only has one. I updated the BT design to socket into the fincan and nose cone with still one wall but the transition is 4 walls so I can keep the BT50 sizing. I like the cardboard idea and I will give that a shot in conjunction with the beefed-up BT. I might try both to see so I can update the description on the Printables model if needed. Great ideas, guys!

1710536624269.png

Btw
The fincan has 4 walls but the body tube only has one. I updated the BT design to socket into the fincan and nose cone with still one wall but the transition is 4 walls so I can keep the BT50 sizing. I like the cardboard idea and I will give that a shot in conjunction with the beefed-up BT. I might try both to see so I can update the description on the Printables model if needed. Great ideas, guys!
Btw, you should flip the retaining ring 180 degrees, i,.e. like 1710541457586.png

Btw

Btw, you should flip the retaining ring 180 degrees, i,.e. like View attachment 635620
I used to do that, but when I started working with PETG, I was having difficulty getting things to stick and the top was coming out icky. I think I have the adhesion issues resolved and it would help not to have more supports to clean up.

I was able to make adjustments to the body tube to get it to fit perfectly and get mangled by supports. I'll update the .3mf file and post it here. I really appreciate all the help getting this across the finish line.

I think this is much better. Let me know if there are any other issues. I'm still baffled about the incompatibility with the Bambu Studio slicer since OrcaSlicer is an offshoot.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 200725.png

Attachments

• RedMax Mini v14 Complete.zip
    339.2 KB · Views: 0
I think this is much better. Let me know if there are any other issues. I'm still baffled about the incompatibility with the Bambu Studio slicer since OrcaSlicer is an offshoot.
No idea... still doesn't without the Arachne walls, at least for me.

Btw, not sure you need so many layers... I've only been running 2 layers on my MPR 3d printed rockets.

Printed more parts for the falcon 9; today I printed the landing legs. They are each printed in 2 parts because of the printer size. This time I have a timelapse video!

20240318_164807.jpg

20240318_164757.jpg

I printed them with PETG at my school 3d printed just like the last one because my home printer isn't working. I only printed 2 of them today because all four would make the print last longer than school hours. I will print the other two tomorrow.

Attachments

• video_2024-03-18_07-52-04.mp4
    47.8 MB
Another nosecone / altimeter combo.

54mm cone, inside is a 1s 220mAh battery, eggfinder apogee, ComSpec Tracker. Rubber Worm seal for the wire.

1710941587384.png
1710941639295.png1710941698526.png
1710941938424.png
1710941970086.png

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not familiar with these, and search is only turning up rubber fake worms for fishing. :)
sure,

These are 'pull through plug' used to mask holes for plating or painting. they work well for sealing wires in holes too. You pull the skinny side into the hole and when you pull it through the 'worm' gets smaller in diameter, let it go and it expands filling the hole. One way is to put a grommet in the part, and have the worm seal against the grommet, the other way is with a long enough hole the worm seals directly.

The worms (pull through plugs) are available from McMaster

1710947108343.png
1710947183585.png

Last edited:
Okay, you have to promise not to laugh. These are my first and second 3D prints.
20240320_125118.jpg
A fellow at work gave me a hell of a deal on an Anyqubic 4K, a clean and cure station and 1 Kilo of resin for $50 bucks!
Got it home, threw it on the table, filled the vat, downloaded a couple of files and BOZO, we are in the printing business!
We are going to crank out some really cool greeblies and such for new kits.
SQUEEEEEE!

Anyone wish to suggest download sites for free rocket related files? Jack Hydrazine has a decent selection on https://cults3d.com/ .
Watching the videos for blender learning to create my own files.

Okay, you have to promise not to laugh. These are my first and second 3D prints.
View attachment 636397
A fellow at work gave me a hell of a deal on an Anyqubic 4K, a clean and cure station and 1 Kilo of resin for $50 bucks!
Got it home, threw it on the table, filled the vat, downloaded a couple of files and BOZO, we are in the printing business!
We are going to crank out some really cool greeblies and such for new kits.
SQUEEEEEE!

Anyone wish to suggest download sites for free rocket related files? Jack Hydrazine has a decent selection on https://cults3d.com/ .
Watching the videos for blender learning to create my own files.
What an amazing deal!!! You will love the resin 3D parts.

Back