What are your (Other) Hobbies ???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockets - loud
Freshwater fishing - quiet

Never seem to have the right chute on the range...
Never seem to have the right net on the lake...

002_crop.jpg

Well lets see..
I really cant say I have any other true active hobbies.
Ive played around with a bunch of stuff during my time here on the rock.
Prospecting.
Mountain Bikes
All kinds of models
Hiking,Camping,fishing all that outside stuff.
There was a time I collected copperware. ash trays,cooking pans-pots,match holders,ect.
Yardsale, antiquing
My Dad was an auctioneer. We did that for a few years on weekends more as a hobby. He had a regular job.
Guns
Fireworks
bang stuff
Um, I dont know,dabbled around with all kinds of things.
Now my biggest passion/hobby (other than modeling)is playing in the dirt.
My gardens and landscapping is my gig in the summer.
Love being outside and "painting" my 12 acres of natural canvas.
We bought this place 11 years ago and it was NAKED.
Not even a front lawn. The back lawn/field was pretty much bare dirt with pucker brush.
No gardens,no nothing.
After 11 years of playing in the dirt,I must say, it looks awesome around here and its been more enjoyment than work.

racing cars in general(not that boring waste of space nascar or nhra crap)
snowboarding
skateboarding
video games
legos

i have a bunch of others too

Rocketing is mostly for the winter. These are a couple of my current projects.

Picturevidss103.jpg

Do tell more ??????

Not gonna mention the motor- grrrr- I want to build a street car again.............
BAD.

Black powder mortar with a 1 3/4" barrel. Capable of shooting a golf ball 300+ yards.
The shock absorbers are from a 1/8 scale RC car used as a recoil system.
The wood is red oak.
Picturevidss115.jpg

Got any plans you can email me- I LIKE - just for loud rounds tho- I dont need projectiles. We have Gasparilla down here + I like to get a little loud at new years and on the 4th. Thats bad azz................
Maybe you could rec. one that just makes a TON of noise to build...........

Last edited:
Audio/subwoofage. This is the latest 8 ft long subwoofer I'm building which will have four 18" woofers that my son makes with one of his two subwoofer driver companies. www.Obsidiancaraudio.com and www.Stereointegrity.com The drivers move 3" of stroke and will have 750 watts on each of the four drivers. The sub cabinet will fit under my 110" projector screen perfectly.
P1040382.jpg

P1010710.jpg

Building main speakers too, the last set of 8 ft tall line array speakers I built
P1000815.jpg

Scuba diving in the British Virgin Islands
P1020243.jpg

Trumpet playing(use to play in 2 different 18 piece Big Bands, Salsa groups, baroque and chamber music on piccolo trumpet, Elvis groups, etc)
trumpetpic-1-1-1.jpg

Spraying things
2ndcoat.jpg

Kart racing off and on for 30 years, on the major road racing tracks...Mid Ohio, Daytona, VIR
Smokn20with20text.jpg

I'm a Garage aholic and will never be finished getting it where I want it. This is one corner finished.
P1020229.jpg

Now there's my new Grandson
3CBB3399-A9AE-4365-8405-AFB5D584224E-3173-00001320EA1D9A2E_zps1597537c.jpg

Fishing for Bluegill on fly rods
sunfish.jpg

been trying to eliminate some hobbies, but I just revived the rocketry thing, so I'm not doing so well at it.

I have recently developed a new hobby.

I am currently inventing a new table top war game and in the process of writing the rule book for it.

subwoofage is my new favorite word
So long gubernatorial, may your rest in peace

Rockets - loud
Freshwater fishing - quiet

Never seem to have the right chute on the range...
Never seem to have the right net on the lake...

View attachment 120011

My brother and I spent many quality hours fishing the lakes of SE Texas over the years. Bass, catfish, bream, crappie - we fished it all and had a great time doing so. When I lived in Utah I hit the local river for trout. Sadly since we moved to California I haven't been able to do any fishing. Really requires a boat and I don't have access to one, nor do I have much in the way of fishing tackle any more. Been trying to remedy that but I'd forgotten just how much I'd spent to get quality gear over the years! Yikes!

Very nice. Is that a scratch build?

Thank you! It is in fact scratch built, primarily from a three-view drawing that also included a couple of cross sections. The details are mostly from pics of other models or the full-size reconstruction.

Is golf a hobby?

[video=youtube_share;Vd96vrDGmP0]https://youtu.be/Vd96vrDGmP0[/video] [video=youtube_share;y5WU6c-X2cM]https://youtu.be/y5WU6c-X2cM[/video]

IMG_0562.jpg

My wife said it looks like you just like to play with your meat :facepalm: -

, damn it now I hungry...........

:)

A guy down the bike trail from my house makes these smokers out of maple syrup barrels. This was his fanciest smoker at the time with the motorcycle chain and all. Dude just spray painted it with crap paint and I paid $175 for it. It does not have a side box so I can only use 1/2 of it for smoking and load the lump charcoal on the other side with wood chunks for smoke. Not ideal, but totally works. He is now building them with the side boxes and has some killer ones. I am happy and only smoke 6-10 times a year and it suits me fine. Smokers is a whole nuther hobby where stuff can get expensive, but you get so much out of it.

The wife is not a fan of smoked meats at all. So all the meat I smoke I divide up and sucky bag / freeze it. Keeps me in amazing lunches all the time. I have arcade parties every now and then and make up pastrami for them. I am not going to give out ribs for free ;)

IMG_3302 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMG_3303 by beerorkid, on Flickr

I borrowed a deli slicer from a friend and dropped it slightly injuring the blade which I fixed, but felt bad. A store in town was closing down and I bought the same slicer to give to the friend and kept the fixed one. Holy crap is it nice to have your own slicer. After St Pats day I can get corned beef for a steal and have a huge upright deep freeze.

:drool:

Current and past hobbies include --- but not limited to:

Cave Diving -- NACD Cave Certification by Steve Gerrard back in 1994
IANTD Nitrox Diver
Almost every PADI certification there is.

Fossil Collecting -- Rather large fossil collection, all collected in the field. I even have a small mound of shark tooth overburden in my front yard -- for the kids :grin:

Magic -- Just a little -- sort of carried over from my youth.

Astro Photography

Crusin on a Bicycle

And this is what I bought today.
PerrySwap.jpg

That's me, #5 of the Pacemakers, I'm proud to have John as a teammate. The parachute is one of the very few, hand-made by John himself (not staffed out to the ladies) "signature models". IIRC the photo was shot during an accuracy competition at Verona, Italy.

All the best, James

That's very cool.
I was in the sport back when the Strato Star was the hot new thing....
I had a nice ParaPlane Cloud for awhile that I bought from one of the guys at our DZ but ended up selling it since I didn't have enough jumps to fly it...(bought a US Papillon)...squares were for experienced jumpers only.

Now they jump students under squares, square reserves, we've come a long way.

Last edited:
:)

A guy down the bike trail from my house makes these smokers out of maple syrup barrels. This was his fanciest smoker at the time with the motorcycle chain and all. Dude just spray painted it with crap paint and I paid $175 for it. It does not have a side box so I can only use 1/2 of it for smoking and load the lump charcoal on the other side with wood chunks for smoke. Not ideal, but totally works. He is now building them with the side boxes and has some killer ones. I am happy and only smoke 6-10 times a year and it suits me fine. Smokers is a whole nuther hobby where stuff can get expensive, but you get so much out of it.

The wife is not a fan of smoked meats at all. So all the meat I smoke I divide up and sucky bag / freeze it. Keeps me in amazing lunches all the time. I have arcade parties every now and then and make up pastrami for them. I am not going to give out ribs for free ;)

IMG_3302 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMG_3303 by beerorkid, on Flickr

I borrowed a deli slicer from a friend and dropped it slightly injuring the blade which I fixed, but felt bad. A store in town was closing down and I bought the same slicer to give to the friend and kept the fixed one. Holy crap is it nice to have your own slicer. After St Pats day I can get corned beef for a steal and have a huge upright deep freeze.

:drool:

Dang. Now I'm hungry, too. Great looking P-strami you got there, BorK.

Dang. St. Paddy's Day is coming up, too. Note to self: Corned beef.

Besides rockets, I'm now into model ships.

View attachment 119847View attachment 119848View attachment 119849

(Sorry the pics are a bit blurry.)
It's an ancient Roman Trireme, with 166 oars. :cool: Due to a miscalculation during construction, I'm actually two short. But, there would have been some significant differences between individual ships, which takes care of most of the "inaccuracies." I built it for a high school Latin club competition and won first place, so I get to go to States next month! :D (Yes, this is why I've only build one rocket in the last six months. :blush:)

Did you have plans for the trireme? I remember getting plans for one from Popular Mechanics or something years and years ago, but I never built it. Still on my bucket list.

Did you have plans for the trireme? I remember getting plans for one from Popular Mechanics or something years and years ago, but I never built it. Still on my bucket list.

Nope, I just based it on this drawing and guesstimated the rest. I printed the image out at the size of the model, so I could use it as a template.
TriremePlan1.jpg

I'm guessing the plans you're thinking are the drawings for the Olympias reconstruction? I've heard that you can still get the plans from the Trireme Trust, but they're pretty expensive.

Soooooo many hobbies soooo little time......
View attachment 120380
Like trying to make "A Boat Fly".....10.5-1 pistons, .580 lift mech. cam, Sixpack on top...runs 11.5's at 4000#'s without being "cut-up".:cool:
View attachment 120381
Keeping the Ladies organized.....warm and, happy.....(i know its a picture of a picture...again.):rolleyes:
View attachment 120382
Taking care of the little ones.....Drag Cars, Stock Cars, Street Cars....Australian Chrysler, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Imperial, Desoto.....Fargo Eh!!:grin: In all sizes 1:16,1:18,1:25,1:24,1:32,1:64 and, 1:128.....This is just one corner in the spare bedroom. (There are ONLY two non-Mopars in the collection...one being the Animal House Deathmobile in 1:18 scale)....Who would'nt want a "Deathmobile?;)
View attachment 120390
I think good friend of mine......Grimracer would attest...."You have to have "A" (One only) GOOD Redhead in your life.....they DON'T co-mingle.....:surprised:
My best friend, translator (Auf Deutsch bitte!!), my love........
Of course there's always caring for the 700 Red Oak saplings i planted eight years ago on three acres of land, looking for the BEST Chicago Style Pizza that can be eaten and, of course flying rockets...

P.S. If your ever in a gas station.....and, some guy rolls in driving the car he's owned since he was 18 years old.....sweated blood and, tears to restore...bleed out of his knuckles trying to rebuild....and, you walk over and, say.....

"Hey man that's a nice carrrrrr.......but, my NEWER......Pontiac Grand Prick (i think that's right) with it's Supercharged V-8, Traction Control, Fuel Injection and, BLAH,BLAH,BLAH..........is 10 times the car...." (I have a NEW SRT8 Challenger in my Shop building too....)

Don't be surprised to be told to have S*X with yourself.....See my toys can't be restored out of a catalog....roof to floorpan....bumper to bumper....like a Camaro or Mustang...Back in the eighties i found parts in a least 10 states to restore the "Black" one.

I once owned a Pontiac....there's a reason why i haven't bought another one in over 32 years......:tongue:

Sorry about the picture quality.....I'm an analog person, living in a digital world.....

https://traxxas.com/products/models/nitro/59074slayerpro4x4

I've been waiting until the price dropped and a couple nights ago I was on Tower Hobbies website and noticed it went from $464 to $439. Since I'm a member I was able to use a $50 discount which brought the price down to $389, which includes shipping and tax. So I think I did pretty well on it. I never owned a nitro vehicle and I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn, but I couldn't resist after my friend bought a nitro truck from LOSI.... the thing just hauls a$$ and all that power on tap is unreal. Electric is fast too, but as you use the battery juice it slows gradually, but with nitro the power is always there and ready. Just keep it gas in it and you are good to go. I also like the design of the TRAXXAS. I think their R&D did a great job with the suspension and also the different features allow you to dial the truck in more.

Last edited:
Back