What are you using for "initiators"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now that my Quest Q2G2 supply is dwindling (I used to buy the 24 packs....sigh), was wondering what others may use for firing ejection charges. I bought some MJG initiatiors & some BILUSOCN Electric Igniters. In ground testing, the MJG's "popped", and the Bilusocn "Popped and sparkled". Heard the Bilusocn's can be unreliable. I always put an initiator on a multitester before using.

Seems like someone recently marketed an initiator that looked a lot like the Q2G2, but I can't find it again on the web.

Didn't know what other options may be out there. I do use Pratt ejection canisters for specific applications.

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

You have it covered - MJG, China, and Pratt. Those are probably 99% of the rocketry market.

The only unreliable matches are the ones I tried to solder myself.

I bought 2x100 packs of the Chinese Buliscon ematches. Of the first box of 100, 99 checked continuity good with 1 dud. I have used 89 of the remaining successfully and one that did not fire even after passing testing out of the box, after assembly into a centerfuge vial, and after RRC3 startup continuity checking.

I've used 86 MJG firewires in the same way.....100% success rate. Now I only use the Chinese ematches for ground testing.

Back