West Coast Hybrids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you know about these? Looks like they are OOP. Mostly, I am interested in what ground support equip they need, and if they could use the Pratt set-up, which will will also work for the Contrails. I read somewhere that they used a non-pyro ignition, but could a fella just put a fatty ignitor up there, or maybe a chunk of propellant?

Thanks in advance for words of wisdom my fellow nerds.

West Coast used some sort of magic liquid as their ignition source; I cannot remember the specifics of it.

A piece of propellant, along the lines of Sky Ripper and RATTWorks should work, just fine. I'm pretty sure folks in the UK had success using steel wool.

-Kevin

Yes. I have flown only one hybrid motor, a Hypertek. It was underfilled and flew poorly, back in 1996 (?). This was the first version and as I recall less than 800 n/s.

I am intrigued with the technology and a cheap go at it interests me.

Been perusing the current offerings on E(vil)bay, have we?
hmmmmm.

s6

West Coast used some sort of magic liquid as their ignition source; I cannot remember the specifics of it.

A piece of propellant, along the lines of Sky Ripper and RATTWorks should work, just fine. I'm pretty sure folks in the UK had success using steel wool.

-Kevin

I would recommend to use pyrodex pellets from hodgdon to ignite properly... easy to get for you in the US...

Back