Well... This Is Just Stupid... Is There A Doctor In The House? - STATUS RESOLVED (But Still Stupid)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hate to rain on your parade.

Of course any legitimate provider will require a visit. That's called "establishing a patient - provider relationship" that is legally and ethically required to do what you want.
I'm not so certain about RN's signing that off. They are a dependent practice (requiring orders from a MD, PA or APRN) and, as such are generally not allowed to sign as a healthcare provider. This does depend on the state you are in.
And to confuse matters ever worse, in some states a psychologist or LCSW are also considered providers......

You are correct. Some states also require it be a physician licensed in that state and they audit them. As a DOD physician, I can only sign for beneficiaries I see.

Well, if you are relocating to Dayton, you'll have E-Rockets/Semroc quite handy.
Every time I drive there, I spend money : )
You will also have Wright Stuff Rocketeers, a very active club, and Rocketeers of Central Indiana for Spring/Summer/Fall High Power, and many other groups.
Cheers / Robert

Well, if you are relocating to Dayton, you'll have E-Rockets/Semroc quite handy.
Every time I drive there, I spend money : )
You will also have Wright Stuff Rocketeers, a very active club, and Rocketeers of Central Indiana for Spring/Summer/Fall High Power, and many other groups.
Cheers / Robert
I have an idea I'll be hanging out with the folks at eRockets a lot when I'm in Dayton.

Ps I’m also autistic, definitely some of my family members show signs.
I can second that!
Not an officially diagnosed parent but after my parents met with my psychologist about 6 years ago, because my parents were visiting and just for fun why not since I already have an appointment ...
... after appointment psychologist said that she'd admit to going in expecting my Dad to be the autistic parent, but no, it was Mom, totally, definitely, documentably, Mom.

I can second that!
Not an officially diagnosed parent but after my parents met with my psychologist about 6 years ago, because my parents were visiting and just for fun why not since I already have an appointment ...
... after appointment psychologist said that she'd admit to going in expecting my Dad to be the autistic parent, but no, it was Mom, totally, definitely, documentably, Mom.
It’s under-diagnosed in women and girls. They tend to learn to mask earlier and more effectively, and the traits often look a little different. Clinicians also often fail to consider the diagnosis even when they do notice signs.

How much of that is due to innate characteristics and how much of that is social is a topic of debate, although it’s likely to be different mixes for different people at different times in their lives and at different times in history. Highly intersectional.

here's the kicker to the diagnosis. The DSM V states in Criteria D " Symptoms cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of current functioning." It's entirely possible to score positive on the autism scale but not be given the diagnosis because there's no discernible impairment.
The criteria was used to create a model of support needs, which has 3 levels.

The criteria D is pervasive in the DSM V. My mentor said it was developed to discern between people with a few symptoms and those with a significant disorder.

In any rate, we know that autism spectrum disorder is a life-long challenge and people with the diagnosis do better when engaged in treatment - the cornerstones of which is counseling and peer groups. We don't need (or should) know what you're doing, but I hope it's one or both of those things. When I was practicing, the local ASD counselor was right across the street. She was a great referral source and reference. Occasionally she sent her people to me for other diagnosis that were more amenable to medicine or other forms of therapy (mostly anxiety disorders or depression). I was very fortunate to have her as a community treatment partner.

My mentor said it was developed to discern between people with a few symptoms and those with a significant disorder.
Which is where the paid professionals go wrong.
There are a number of us who weren't until as adults we burned out from the effort applied to masking for all our lives.
I still remember at the age of 32 when having increasing psych and physical troubles both my GP at the time said one day to me,
"The part of your being which processes anything more than the most minimal amount of stress is gone, burned up, burned out, just not there any more. And it's probably not going to come back. Get out of this job. Do only low stress jobs from here on out."

And it did further harm to my health and being when the Armani suited Psychiatrist decided that since I was good with words it was impossible for me to be autistic, therefore I was bipolar.

You health care providers have some problems involving autism, FIX THEM!

Which is where the paid professionals go wrong.
There are a number of us who weren't until as adults we burned out from the effort applied to masking for all our lives.
I still remember at the age of 32 when having increasing psych and physical troubles both my GP at the time said one day to me,
"The part of your being which processes anything more than the most minimal amount of stress is gone, burned up, burned out, just not there any more. And it's probably not going to come back. Get out of this job. Do only low stress jobs from here on out."

And it did further harm to my health and being when the Armani suited Psychiatrist decided that since I was good with words it was impossible for me to be autistic, therefore I was bipolar.

You health care providers have some problems involving autism, FIX THEM!
Easy, tiger. This is a systemic issue that one person is not going to fix overnight, and they’re not going to go crusading because of a strongly worded forum posting. I like your passion though, don’t ever lose it.

Fact is, some people are very clearly disabled by the condition, blocked from accessing various cognitive functions by non-integration of multiple senses. It is delicate and time-consuming work to put the sensory systems in order and begin exercising even the most minimal degree of independence.

Others are more disabled by other people being jerks and our economic model being unsuited to exploiting their talents. The social model of disability reigns supreme here! Usually these folks need some help arranging an effective social and community support system, but intensive clinical work on a permanent basis is not always necessary.

That’s two distinct life trajectories, it makes sense that priorities and allocated resources would differ.

I agree that the second category is badly in need of systemic reform and this is not acknowledged nearly enough, but I think the best reforms would be more of the kind that would reduce stress for everybody and not just the autistic community.

Put simply, we’re suffering under by-the-boostraps culture and late-stage capitalism the same as everyone, only more.

This is a systemic issue that one person is not going to fix overnight,
And there's another disturbingly common healthcare defect which needs fixing --
I'll put it this way,

"Hey Doc, this is going on and it is most likely because of that."
"Excuse me, but it would be appreciated if you let me do the doctoring and you stayed off Google."
"Oh? Really?"
"Yes, please."
"Well, Doc, let's see, I'm 60, you are, 37, I think you said last year?"
"Yes."
"I've had this health thing going on since I was 12."

>
That is a criminally common event in the chronic, rare, and otherwise incurable, illness community.
And I've had it, again, recently in both November and January.

We Are Not Stupid!

And there's another disturbingly common healthcare defect which needs fixing --
I'll put it this way,

"Hey Doc, this is going on and it is most likely because of that."
"Excuse me, but it would be appreciated if you let me do the doctoring and you stayed off Google."
"Oh? Really?"
"Yes, please."
"Well, Doc, let's see, I'm 60, you are, 37, I think you said last year?"
"Yes."
"I've had this health thing going on since I was 12."

>
That is a criminally common event in the chronic, rare, and otherwise incurable, illness community.
And I've had it, again, recently in both November and January.

We Are Not Stupid!
I would not blame them, a lot of people do go on goggle and mistake common problems for serious issues.

Ah one thing folks need to remember is that mental illness is on a spectrum. That includes autism. Some have the problem very mildly and with meds an outsider can't tell they have an illness. Some have it severely and even with meds, the disease process is only mildly affected. Could be the difference between stopping violent meltdowns and allowing the individual to live at home with relatives rather than having to go to a state institution. My son's psychiatrist said state hospitals are dreadful places and not the place to be.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this.

My daughter was diagnosed with ASD early on and received help with an early diagnosis.

When she was in High School, she had a Psycho-Therapist who told her that she was allowed one thing that we wouldn't discuss (including us as her parents... which I didn't agree to nor was I told in advance). My daughter chose "friends" (because she didn't have any and didn't seem to care about it).

Maybe she felt pressure from us as parents, but I wanted her to be able to work on her social abilities.

So she went through High School pretty much with hardly any friends. I think this hurt her badly when she went off to college (she stayed on campus). She later told us that she became extremely depressed the first year. Luckily by the second year, she found a church group that accepted her and gave her the love and support I think she was in great need of.

Thoughts on that Psycho-Therapist's decision to allow my daughter to completely avoid talking about having friends?

Btw- This was a bunch of years ago and I'm not looking to confront nor am I looking to discredit. I was just really surprised by that and personally felt it wasn't correct. Maybe I was wrong?

Last edited:

My daughter was diagnosed with ASP early on and received help with an early diagnosis.

When she was in High School, she had a Psycho-Therapist who told her that she was allowed one thing that we wouldn't discuss (including us as her parents... which I didn't agree to nor was I told in advance). My daughter chose "friends" (because she didn't have any and didn't seem to care about it).

Maybe she felt pressure from us as parents, but I wanted her to be able to work on her social abilities.

So she went through High School pretty much with hardly any friends. I think this hurt her badly when she went off to college (she stayed on campus). She later told us that she became extremely depressed the first year. Luckily by the second year, she found a church group that accepted her and gave her the love and support I think she was in great need of.

Thoughts on that Psycho-Therapist's decision to allow my daughter to completely avoid talking about having friends?

Btw- This was a bunch of years ago and I'm not looking to confront nor am I looking to discredit. I was just really surprised by that and personally felt it wasn't correct. Maybe I was wrong?
I know this isn't helpful.
I wish I could help Ken.

You're just such a nice man.

Teddy

My daughter was diagnosed with ASP early on and received help with an early diagnosis.

Maybe, maybe not.

I’ve always felt that the therapist’s office was the place you go to discuss the things you don’t discuss, for fear of ridicule or abuse or reliving pain. Maybe discussing issues related to forming healthy relationships should have been on the menu instead of being walled off in the first session. I wouldn’t like that very much either if somebody I cared about was being actively invited to wall themselves off to a source of professional support.

On the other hand, every form of therapy I’ve gotten or seen relies on the patient’s cooperation for success, so if I or somebody else doesn’t want to discuss a particular issue, I don’t think there is much that a clinician can do. The trick is to make the environment feel safe enough that the patient chooses to address the problems.

Of course, people in psychiatric treatment because of a court order or something like that might have less of a say in the matter, but that’s outside my area of confident knowledge and it doesn’t seem relevant to a kid getting services at school.

I’ve also seen a couple therapists who are firm believers in the “verbal karate chop”, in which the uncomfortable point is broached openly by the clinician when the conversation gets sufficiently close to it. Whether the patient decides to listen or become defensive is up to them, but the door is open to conversation about the heart of the issue either way, which is very much the point.

I dunno. Lots to unpack there, and a bunch of options that I’d think would have been better. I’m sorry that happened that way.

what is ASP?

I’ll comment on the friends thing, I don’t have any friends. It’s partly my bad social skills and partly the fact that kids my age are in general people I would want to be with. But it doesn’t really bother me.

Ps I completely agree with @smstachwick

what is ASP?

I’ll comment on the friends thing, I don’t have any friends. It’s partly my bad social skills and partly the fact that kids my age are in general people I would want to be with.
Friends are worse than useless if you have the wrong ones. Be picky if you must, but don’t ever give up the hunt.

Therapists and counselors are people. People makes mistakes.

People also make reasonable and seemingly smart decisions which turn out to be wrong in hindsight. Therapists and counselors are no different.

So yes, it's possible there was a mistake. It's also possible that there was still an overall benefit for your daughter, despite the possible mistake by the psych-therapist.

I know this isn't helpful.
I wish I could help Ken.

You're just such a nice man.

Teddy
Thanks so much Teddy! Means a lot coming from "The nicest guy in rocketry"!

I cared the world for my daughter and was full on trying to help her. A lot of the things I did was validated during her evaluation meetings when the teachers and counselors would nod their heads in approval when I told them of the things I was doing for her outside of school (best feeling in the world!).

Last edited:
what is ASP?

I’ll comment on the friends thing, I don’t have any friends. It’s partly my bad social skills and partly the fact that kids my age are in general people I would want to be with. But it doesn’t really bother me.

Ps I completely agree with @smstachwick
Oops, typo of ASD. I'll correct.

Therapists and counselors are people. People makes mistakes.

People also make reasonable and seemingly smart decisions which turn out to be wrong in hindsight. Therapists and counselors are no different.

So yes, it's possible there was a mistake. It's also possible that there was still an overall benefit for your daughter, despite the possible mistake by the psych-therapist.
I think the biggest mistake (if any) was not consulting the parents beforehand and addressing any concerns about that.

I myself should've followed up more with the doctor to find out why and what she was doing to help with improving her social ability as well as her progress. No excuse, but I was working full time and was away during many of the sessions.

Maybe, maybe not.

I’ve always felt that the therapist’s office was the place you go to discuss the things you don’t discuss, for fear of ridicule or abuse or reliving pain. Maybe discussing issues related to forming healthy relationships should have been on the menu instead of being walled off in the first session. I wouldn’t like that very much either if somebody I cared about was being actively invited to wall themselves off to a source of professional support.

On the other hand, every form of therapy I’ve gotten or seen relies on the patient’s cooperation for success, so if I or somebody else doesn’t want to discuss a particular issue, I don’t think there is much that a clinician can do. The trick is to make the environment feel safe enough that the patient chooses to address the problems.

Of course, people in psychiatric treatment because of a court order or something like that might have less of a say in the matter, but that’s outside my area of confident knowledge and it doesn’t seem relevant to a kid getting services at school.

I’ve also seen a couple therapists who are firm believers in the “verbal karate chop”, in which the uncomfortable point is broached openly by the clinician when the conversation gets sufficiently close to it. Whether the patient decides to listen or become defensive is up to them, but the door is open to conversation about the heart of the issue either way, which is very much the point.

I dunno. Lots to unpack there, and a bunch of options that I’d think would have been better. I’m sorry that happened that way.
Thank you SO much for that viewpoint and insight! Definitely provides good things to consider.

No apologies necessary. Not everything in life is as we'd wish, so the best you can do is accept the bad stuff and appreciate and enjoy the good and happy parts. :) 👍

Thanks so much Teddy! Means a lot coming from "The nicest guy in rocketry"!

I cared the world for my daughter and was full on trying to help her. A lot of the things I did was validated during her evaluation meetings when the teachers and counselors would nod their heads in approval when I told them of the things I was doing for her outside of school (best feeling in the world!).
Ken,
If I had a nickel for everything I wish I could have a "do over" on because I wish I did it differently I'd be the riches man in the world, lol.
This is why I think it's so important to focus way more on what's positive and brings fond warm fuzzy thoughts,
and to be uplifting to others, this one is for selfish reasons, this is the best way to uplift yourself.. ( This is the single most important secret to life, shhhh, don't tell anybody, lol )..

Teddy

I feel that as they get older they will be better.

Ps the seniors are definitely people I’d be friends with.
I found growing up that I was closer with the adults in my life than a lot of the kids. Being an adult absolutely RULES because I can exercise enough independence to be friends with people decades older and not have that be super weird. Of the adult regulars at DART, I’m one of the youngest.

People close to my own age definitely are more tolerable than they used to be, too. Once life hits them full in the face they become more humble and develop better manners.

My daughter was diagnosed with ASD early on and received help with an early diagnosis.

I wasn't autistic but have a son who has a diagnosed autistic "spectrum/mental retardation" disorder. I have guardianship of him and he is going to be 30 years old in May. It's sad because he has the same May 23rd birthday as his mother! She died 5 years ago of lung cancer but never smoked a cigarette in her life! I miss her a lot. Since I was 5 years older than her, I never thought I would have to worry about this death "stuff".

No, I went to a lawyer early on in my career and had a will/trust established so before when my beautiful wife died life would be easier. It was setup and since I was older if I died first, she could take the money and do whatever she wanted. Unfortunately, it turned out the other way around.

There was a Radon gas problem in our house we didn't know about and as I said, she never smoked a cigarette in her life. I bought a Radon meter and had an outfit out of Peoria, Illinois put a Radon evacuation system in after Sally died. The Radon level was sky high before but I had to work outside of the house so often, I believe my exposure was less.

Am a widower actually when my lovely spouse died 5 years ago. I also have an M.D. degree and started out in a surgery residency but ended up in primary care/ geriatrics "cause" old people liked me.

I got out and retired when I was 64 years of age. "ITB's " or ivory tower surgery bastids didn't like me in residency at the University of Illinois up in Chicago. I think they're still wondering why I don't donate money to the med school. I stand efffffffff over and will never give them a DIME!!!

Am retired now so I don't reflect or worry about it but I still miss my lovely wife Sally.

Oh the local school district bused my son to Peoria to the Keifer school for his schooling and I donated royally too them when he "graduated" at age 22.
That gave my wife "break" from him. Back in the day, it was really hard to deal with him. He's fine now and doesn't get violent anymore. He would just beat the bejusus out of us in the "old days" for no reason at all. Here we were with absolutely no conflict and he start beating us up!! I got called more often than not and had to put a "full Nelson" wrestling hold on him to control the situation otherwise he would beat the "chit" out of us.

I want to state he's fine now and I have no distress with him. Not violent anymore and I think the hormone rush in adolescence resulted in the problems.
Kurt

Last edited:
I wasn't autistic but have a son who has a diagnosed autistic "spectrum/mental retardation" disorder. I have guardianship of him and he is going to be 30 years old in May. It's sad because he has the same May 23rd birthday as his mother! She died 5 years ago of lung cancer but never smoked a cigarette in her life! I miss her a lot. Since I was 5 years older than her, I never thought I would have to worry about this death "stuff".

No, I went to a lawyer early on in my career and had a will/trust established so before when my beautiful wife died life would be easier. It was setup and since I was older if I died first, she could take the money and do whatever she wanted. Unfortunately, it turned out the other way around.

There was a Radon gas problem in our house we didn't know about and as I said, she never smoked a cigarette in her life. I bought a Radon meter and had an outfit out of Peoria, Illinois put a Radon evacuation system in after Sally died. The Radon level was sky high before but I had to work outside of the house so often, I believe my exposure was less.

Am a widower actually when my lovely spouse died 5 years ago. I also have an M.D. degree and started out in a surgery residency but ended up in primary care/ geriatrics "cause" old people liked me.

I got out and retired when I was 64 years of age. "ITB's " or ivory tower surgery bastids didn't like me in residency at the University of Illinois up in Chicago. I think they're still wondering why I don't donate money to the med school. I stand efffffffff over and will never give them a DIME!!!

Am retired now so I don't reflect or worry about it but I still miss my lovely wife Sally.

Oh the local school district bused my son to Peoria to the Keifer school for his schooling and I donated royally too them when he "graduated" at age 22.
That gave my wife "break" from him. Back in the day, it was really hard to deal with him. He's fine now and doesn't get violent anymore. He would just beat the bejusus out of us in the "old days" for no reason at all. Here we were with absolutely no conflict and he start beating us up!! I got called more often than not and had to put a "full Nelson" wrestling hold on him to control the situation otherwise he would beat the "chit" out of us.

I want to state he's fine now and I have no distress with him. Not violent anymore and I think the hormone rush in adolescence resulted in the problems.
Kurt
Wow, so sorry to hear about all the things you went through and bless you for hanging tough and still doing everything you did for others.

My mother never smoked as well and also died from lung cancer at age 69, but the reason why was never determined. There was a suggestion of the possibility that since she was Asian and did a lot of wok cooking over the stove that the heated oil vapors caused cancer in her lungs.

I'm actually lucky to be alive myself. As a toddler some really old man took my place and was crushed to death by a car seconds later.

I learned to appreciate every day above ground no matter how hard it gets and when down, remember the happy moments as well as the joys in life... like ice cream and rockets!

If you're ever feeling down, please reach out to someone, anyone... even me!

Take care and thanks for sharing. I hope things get easier and better for both of you. 🤗

Ken:

I'm not certain as to what the counselor actually said. I have had multiple autistic clients, and if "friends" is something they don't want to talk about, you talk about their relationships and interactions with others. This all depends on where they are. Every case is different.

It absolutely is a spectrum, I've had patients who are married with kids and jobs all the way to those who will probably be institutionalized, partly due to the severity of their disease, partly due to a lack of social support (parents gave up after being severely injured by her) and partly due to no other viable option in the community. Her counselor worked tirelessly and applied to every known group home within a 100 mile radius - and unfortunately she was rejected by all.

Sadly, ASD remains somewhat of a enigma within psychiatry. Much, much, much more research is needed to develop treatment protocols and determine effectiveness of interventions. INSAR, SFARI OAR and ARI as well as many other organizations have brought this research to the forefront Hopefully we will develop effective treatment modalities from early childhood thru adulthood.

Ken:

I'm not certain as to what the counselor actually said. I have had multiple autistic clients, and if "friends" is something they don't want to talk about, you talk about their relationships and interactions with others. This all depends on where they are. Every case is different.

It absolutely is a spectrum, I've had patients who are married with kids and jobs all the way to those who will probably be institutionalized, partly due to the severity of their disease, partly due to a lack of social support (parents gave up after being severely injured by her) and partly due to no other viable option in the community. Her counselor worked tirelessly and applied to every known group home within a 100 mile radius - and unfortunately she was rejected by all.

Sadly, ASD remains somewhat of a enigma within psychiatry. Much, much, much more research is needed to develop treatment protocols and determine effectiveness of interventions. INSAR, SFARI OAR and ARI as well as many other organizations have brought this research to the forefront Hopefully we will develop effective treatment modalities from early childhood thru adulthood.
Thanks Rick! Sometimes my better half has the "why us" thought and personally while it was very trying and difficult on us early on, I'm so proud of my daughter for being mature and self-sufficient enough to go off to college on her own (brought tears to my eyes because early on I didn't think it'd ever happen). We've also had many great times with her, so that's our blessing right there.

I guess thoughts of "how could we (or others) have done better" and worry over her future is reflecting that I love and care for her a lot, which I think is one of the basic roles a parent should have and what a child needs*.

*Edit add: This is actually new to me because my family never really showed love. For my parents, it was just important to feed, house and clothe us. Even my siblings didn't understand nor show it beyond maybe some basic caring. I never got hugs from anyone in my family until I was an adult and only after I started it! What I learned about parenting was mostly from TV and what I would've wanted. Tis life!

Last edited:
Back