Well... This Is Just Stupid... Is There A Doctor In The House? - STATUS RESOLVED (But Still Stupid)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken:

I'm not certain as to what the counselor actually said. I have had multiple autistic clients, and if "friends" is something they don't want to talk about, you talk about their relationships and interactions with others. This all depends on where they are. Every case is different.

It absolutely is a spectrum, I've had patients who are married with kids and jobs all the way to those who will probably be institutionalized, partly due to the severity of their disease, partly due to a lack of social support (parents gave up after being severely injured by her) and partly due to no other viable option in the community. Her counselor worked tirelessly and applied to every known group home within a 100 mile radius - and unfortunately she was rejected by all.

Sadly, ASD remains somewhat of an enigma within psychiatry. Much, much, much more research is needed to develop treatment protocols and determine effectiveness of interventions. INSAR, SFARI OAR and ARI as well as many other organizations have brought this research to the forefront Hopefully we will develop effective treatment modalities from early childhood thru adulthood.
A couple of things my company does that I think should be looked into, if they’re not already:

1.). Work being done in the community if at all possible, instead of behind closed doors or solely at school. My adult group goes on a variety of outings and they form the bulk of those clients’ program. We also have a summer youth group, and some clients receive services this way individually.

We’ve gone to the beach, the local zoo and theme parks, hiking and biking trails, libraries, rock climbing gyms, volunteering events, and more. Clients practice their targeted skills in a variety of settings that they might find themselves in with their families. Getting out of the clinic and in public also produces targets of opportunity that simply would not be possible elsewhere.

2.). A focus on communication and emotional regulation. If a client is able to use speech, a tablet, a keyboard, or options on a whiteboard to communicate what they want or need at any given time, that opens doors to using more appropriate means of accessing support while regulating their emotions. We also practice stress management skills when a requested support is delayed or unavailable.

Ultimately we’re not concerned with whether a client is visibly autistic, we’re concerned with whether the client is able to master skills in those two big areas and use them consistently.

3.). Recognition of the sensory experience. When any of the senses are overdeveloped, underdeveloped, or just plain confusing, that causes a great deal of stress that undermines cognitive function. Humans absolutely suck at solving problems and learning new skills when they’re physically uncomfortable or distracted by their environment, so a lot of my observation is directed to identifying which sensory barriers exist and how to remove them.

A couple of things my company does that I think should be looked into, if they’re not already:

1.). Work being done in the community if at all possible, instead of behind closed doors or solely at school. My adult group goes on a variety of outings and they form the bulk of those clients’ program. We also have a summer youth group, and some clients receive services this way individually.

We’ve gone to the beach, the local zoo and theme parks, hiking and biking trails, libraries, rock climbing gyms, volunteering events, and more. Clients practice their targeted skills in a variety of settings that they might find themselves in with their families. Getting out of the clinic and in public also produces targets of opportunity that simply would not be possible elsewhere.

2.). A focus on communication and emotional regulation. If a client is able to use speech, a tablet, a keyboard, or options on a whiteboard to communicate what they want or need at any given time, that opens doors to using more appropriate means of accessing support while regulating their emotions. We also practice stress management skills when a requested support is delayed or unavailable.

Ultimately we’re not concerned with whether a client is visibly autistic, we’re concerned with whether the client is able to master skills in those two big areas and use them consistently.

3.). Recognition of the sensory experience. When any of the senses are overdeveloped, underdeveloped, or just plain confusing, that causes a great deal of stress that undermines cognitive function. Humans absolutely suck at solving problems and learning new skills when they’re physically uncomfortable or distracted by their environment, so a lot of my observation is directed to identifying which sensory barriers exist and how to remove them.
Wow! I honestly wish one of my daughter's assigned counselors had told me the same outline as you've laid out. I agree with that 100%.

In her case, she seems to have developed well with 1 & 3 (she's currently holding a steady part time job and part of a church group), but not as well with 2 (regulating emotions & stress management) and not too long ago I caught her hitting herself on her head when upset over a silly mistake. I'll check in with her on that. Thanks!

Sorry for the sidetrack everyone, I really appreciate all the help and information! ❤️

In reading though the sidetrack, I suddenly realized why I get so grumpy when I'm hot. When I'm overheated, I can be downright surly. I never thought of it as an Autism issue, but now that I think about it, I'm sure that it is.

Back