Weird color question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
If I wanted to make a rocket that looked like a hot dog, what color would I paint it?

I'd go with "flesh" with a touch of pink added. You're on your own for the bun! :p

I'd go with "flesh" with a touch of pink added. You're on your own for the bun! :p

I thought of flesh, but was thinking it would be too pink already. Hot dogs to me are more of a tannish/brownish color. As for the bun, I was thinking a light tan with light brown edges.

What?
A flying hot dog - it'll never fly!
Just add lots of nose weight.

Much to the embarrassment of my youngest daughter,
I walked around Walmart with a package of cold hot dogs (from the meat department) over to the paint department and matched the colors.
At the time the best match was the cheap Colorplace Red Primer #20011.

The bun was Rustoleum Painter's Touch Cinnamon #240283. the lighter edge was a beige of some sort. The beige was lightly applied with a sponge.

Here's a link to my (S)Hot Dog from the EMRR Odd Ball contest.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/scratch-shot-dog-by-hans-chris-michielssen.html

Shot-Dog HCM.jpg

Last edited:
Try rustolium "sun dried tomato" color, I know it sounds weird but it will be real close.

OK, bad pun.

That is a clever idea, and looks pretty convincing

To the rest of you guys, with all your tips on colors and techniques:
How would I color the chili and onions on MY dog?

The thing is, hot dogs and chili and mustard and cheese and all sorts of food items come in lots of shades. So if it looks close enough, it is. The important thing, apart from being in the ballpark, is to avoid making it too uniform. Hot dogs are pretty uniform, but not completely. The brown of a bun varies a good deal over the whole surface if you look closely. Chilli is lumpy, and every type of lump has a slightly different color. Just make it slightly uneven or speckled and it'll look great.

What?
A flying hot dog - it'll never fly!
Just add lots of nose weight.

Much to the embarrassment of my youngest daughter,
I walked around Walmart with a package of cold hot dogs (from the meat department) over to the paint department and matched the colors.
At the time the best match was the cheap Colorplace Red Primer #20011.

The bun was Rustoleum Painter's Touch Cinnamon #240283. the lighter edge was a beige of some sort. The beige was lightly applied with a sponge.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/scratch-shot-dog-by-hans-chris-michielssen.html

If pigs had wings and could fly....would they get stuck in trees????

I don't think you need an exact match, just something close. The mind will fill in hotdog. If it fills in wiener you may have gone too pink.

My favorite local hotdogs are a very garish red, with bright yellow mustard they look like something you should not eat. Tasty though.

Now I can see many rocket geeks wandering between the meat counter, the bakery section and the paint department. Attention Walmart shoppers...

Does a CATO result in a grilled dog? Or just fried?

Back