Weight Loss Options & Sleeve Gastrectomy is Not One of Them!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's exactly what I started with because of my reading on its theory and praise of it from a financial and computer security blogger I read daily who has written much about it due to his great success with it, but because getting the body into ketogenic mode (ketosis) requires a huge reduction in carb intake requiring much vigilance and because of some negative side effects I had with extremely low carbs, I just went with a low carb diet rather than the extremely low carb ketogenic diet.

Probably easier. I use portion cotnrol. I have lost nearly 50 pounds using portion control.

There's a lot to be said for portion control. If it is limited enough, it will work very well. It has the added benefit of being more realistic to stick with, since you don't have to avoid anything altogether.

Ketogenic options require a good stock of willpower, and work best when MUCH research and alternative preparation goes into keeping foods around that are at least resembling normal. I have found a lot of good recipes, and that makes it easier. The worst part I've found is there is no substitute for bread. There are good alternatives for wraps and crusts, but it is almost impossible to get anything like a big, puffy piece of bread. However, if you eat 3-4 meals per day with no more than 6 net grams of carbs per sitting, plus drink plenty of water...you will literally need to schedule regular trips to the store to buy smaller clothes.

I will share what I have done to help with portion control. I started getting Blue Apron, Home Chef, Hello Fresh, Marley Spoon, and Sun Basket shipped to me. I calculated that I can get away with 400-700 calories a meal to lose weight (depending on the rate I want to lose) and 700-900 to maintain. I bought 3 meals per week and divided the portions for lunch and dinner. I foudn that I could get between 6-9 servings per 6 serving box based on the calorie content. I cooked on weekends and preped them into containeds. I then froze or refigerated the servings for the next week.

Basically, I found that prepping reduced my straying. I always had 1-2 meals ready to go when I felt like not cooking.

I believe in the science behind keto and low carbohydrate diets but I just can't maintain them. Portion control has worked for me for nearly 4 years and I have avoided the dreaded Army Tape test.

Lastly, I rearely eat out. If I do, I bring a doggy bag home. For me, it is all about discipline. Not everyone is the same though.

I have been on the so-called "keto diet" for nearly two months and officially hit the 40 pound mark today. I do it a bit more extreme than others, it would seem. I pretty much eat just egg whites and chicken, with the occasional steak and broccoli mixed in. Jimmy John's #16 unwich is great as it's very low in both carbs and fat. Just had to run to the store to get smaller pants as the ones I started with were too big even with my belt on! Though I just graduated four years ago, it's pretty awesome to say I way less now than I did in high school!

It's all mentality and will-power. If you believe you can stick to it, you can. I haven't been going out of my way for exorcising, either. I'm just out and about a lot.

Braden

Probably easier. I use portion control. I have lost nearly 50 pounds using portion control.
Yep, portion control is good because it will most likely also result in calorie control (unless your smaller portions consist of only desserts), beyond just the benefit of the reduction of high glycemic index foods from a low carb diet. Another benefit of portion control is the "stomach shrinking" effect where one feels full consuming less. I've recently read something on that where they've found that the stomach doesn't actually shrink, the stomach walls just become more rigid and less flexible.

When I eat out I have ther server bring the take home box when they bring the meal. I take about half the meal off the plate up front. It becomes lunch next day. If it isn't in front of me I don't feel need to eat it

Yet another reason to eat a low carb, low glycemic index diet even when not just trying to lose weight:

Diabetic-level glucose spikes seen in healthy people, study finds
July 24, 2018

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-diabetic-level-glucose-spikes-healthy-people.html

A device that keeps extra-close tabs on the ups and downs of blood glucose levels reveals that most people see only a partial picture of the sugar circulating in their blood, according to a study by researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine.

It turns out that the level of sugar in an individual's blood—especially in individuals who are considered healthy—fluctuates more than traditional means of monitoring, like the one-and-done finger-prick method, would have us believe. Often, these fluctuations come in the form of "spikes," or a rapid increase in the amount of sugar in the blood, after eating specific foods—most commonly, carbohydrates.

"There are lots of folks running around with their glucose levels spiking, and they don't even know it," said Michael Snyder, Ph.D., professor and chair of genetics at Stanford and senior author of the study. The covert spikes are a problem because high blood sugar levels, especially when prolonged, can contribute to cardiovascular disease risk and
a person's tendencies to develop insulin resistance [vicious cycle - obesity causes insulin resistance and insulin resistance causes more weight gain. - W], which is a common precursor to diabetes, he said.

"We saw that some folks who think they're healthy actually are misregulating glucose—sometimes at the same severity of people with diabetes—and they have no idea," Snyder said.

Good stuff Winston, thank you for the link.

I am still here and losing... for once I do not mind sitting on the losers bench. I am down 46 lbs as of today. I had a bit of a brain fart and added back some Sweet'n Low for my coffee, but have since gone back to taking it black. Diet remains un-changed for the most part, I am not starving, I do not feel cheated, and all of my cravings save for one have gone... popcorn still holds an aggressive pinch on me, but even that is starting to go by the way side.

After I got hurt and retired I gained a lot of weight. I have always been pretty slender but I shot up to 300lbs really fast. I’m sitting at 215 - 220 or so right now. All I did was to cut sugar out of my diet, stay away from “diet” drinks, drink plenty of water, and cut back how much I ate.

I still eat crap, fried foods, cheese, pastry’s, you name it... I just cut my proportions down. Congrats on the 60lbs, that’s almost a sack of concrete!

Go out and get some C diff. That will land you in the hospital for a week with nothing to eat but a bag of saline. Worked for me, I dropped a quick 15 pounds or more. To sweeten the pot, I still have little interest in food a whole week later. Give it a try, highly recommended.

Weight loss is a tough challenge. What works for me better than anything is keeping track of what I eat. It makes me mindful of what I’m eating and I make better choices when I know I am going to write it down. I use an app on my phone, like Lose It. But there’s more to creating good habits than just that. I also recommend getting a copy of Change Anything and engaging all six sources of influence in your favor.

Joe

Good for you guy's..
Stay positive and stay at it...
Slow progress is not only nothing to be afraid of,,
it's the desired rate when it comes to this...
Good for you,, just keep on it and enjoy it...

Teddy

Wow,, a great big congrats man..
You're doing fantastic..
Keep up the good work..
I bet you just feel wonderful, in more ways then one..

Good for you man..

Teddy

Latest posts

Back