We now HAVE the technology, VERTICAL automated rocket guidance - Eagle Tree Guardian

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that.

I keep daydreaming about building my own QuadCopter. Something like that would make it more practical to do.

For rockets, it seems like it would work well for flying back a model using a steerable chute (if it can be made to deploy and steer reliably). Or might work well for a multi-copter based system to bring a model (or payload section) back.

- George Gassaway

Thanks for posting that.

I keep daydreaming about building my own QuadCopter. Something like that would make it more practical to do.

For rockets, it seems like it would work well for flying back a model using a steerable chute (if it can be made to deploy and steer reliably). Or might work well for a multi-copter based system to bring a model (or payload section) back.

- George Gassaway
That's a very large package for a quadrotor. FPV Hobby has much smaller units.

The sub-pound INSTANTEYE quadrotor drone we developed for DOD missions has a custom designed GPS/INS that weighs 10 grams. It can automatically come home before the battery runs down and much more.

Bob

That's a very large package for a quadrotor.

Yep, it's made primarily for FPV aircraft use. It's also a automatic wing leveler, unlike the much cheaper OrangeRX stabilizer.

The sub-pound INSTANTEYE quadrotor drone we developed for DOD missions has a custom designed GPS/INS that weighs 10 grams. It can automatically come home before the battery runs down and much more.

Wow! Please provide a sample to Hobbyking so they can reverse engineer it and sell it for $70. ;)

Here's an example of one of the many lightweight multirotor controller boards available, this one only $15 (but not with GPS):

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...rol_Board_V2_1_Atmega168PA_US_Warehouse_.html

For multirotor info:

Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355#post12906859

Thanks for posting that.

- George Gassaway

I wonder how NAR Contest rules would handle a rocket with a steerable chute in a Spot Landing contest.

Parachute caught on the launch rod on the way down and the nose cone landed on the blast sheild.... 0 meters :cool:

Thanks for all the info. If I ever did start serious plans to make my own quadcopter, I'd research a lot of this to find what would be the most practical for cost, capability, mass, reliability and practicality of set-up and use.

I have just started messing around with Arduino microcontrollers, for a ground-based project. So I would also look at doing a "Flyduino", or something like that, if I get to the point of comfortably programming these things (though being open source there's lots of existing code. I would never try to do it from scratch). My main problem so far is working out how to merge different parts of existing code to work together, as I do not understand how of lot of the code works, not in the sense of being able to replicate it on my own from scratch. I have picked up a lot of info to read..... but the project I am doing needs to be done soon so I am sacrificing thoroughly understanding the code in order to just get the thing to work well enough. Since it is not for controlling a model, and not for launching, there are no consequences of safety if it fails, just the fact that a great piece of equipment would not be working (rebuilding a homemade Chart Recorder to help detect thermals for the US Team this summer). If I did an Arduino copter, I'd definitely need to understand the code a lot better.

But I am confident I'll get this chart recorder working, to at least do what it used to do before its main control box died. The thing is that now I've been bitten by the other possibilities available with Arduino, so I'm looking at adding some other things to it, mainly a wind direction sensor with very high sensitivity (small angle increments) in very low wind, I have two good plans of attack for that. And also thinking of totally different rocket projects to do later on.

- George Gassaway

Wow! Please provide a sample to Hobbyking so they can reverse engineer it and sell it for $70. ;)

That ain't going to happen. :facepalm: If we handed the Hobby King guy a sample, we'd have to shoot him and take it back. :kill: I think that might get us in trouble. :dark:

Our basic field kit, currently sold to only to qualified customers, includes 2 quadrotors, a controller, a universal LiPo charger, and spare parts and spare batteries for well under $10K. The closest commercially available quadrotor you can buy today is this one for $3K. It's a good quad, but it lacks the speed, endurance, navigation or payload capability of InstantEye. The FPV Quad comes with a decent R/C controller, but it pales in comparison to the large full sunlight to night vision real-time heads-up display we developed for InstantEye.

Our goal was to develop a small, inexpensive eye-in-the-sky that can be fielded in quantity to save lives, and since it has, we have been told it has done so on almost every mission by the user community. Long term, we hope to equip every squad in the military, FEMA, the Coast Guard and other federal agencies, local police and fire departments, and emergency response and search and rescue team with Instant-Eye, so from Day 1 Instant-Eye was designed and engineered for high-volume, low-cost production unlike many high tech systems which are so expensive they are unaffordable, or can not be deployed in quantity.

Bob

Thanks Greg. The young lady is obveously quite intellegent, and had a little help from an obvious Engineer father (Prolly?)
Very interesting in deed. I have always wanted to make a large scale rocket with no fins.
This kind of Tech makes me wish I was still on the upside of the big hill, instead of 1/2 down the back side.
Greg, do you think we will see any kits in the near future that builds this tech into their kits?
Even if the unit is sold seperately like many larger rockets w/o chutes, ebays & other electronics?
Thanks.

Does anyone happen to know the accelerometer range for this device? Eagle Tree won't tell me (since it's not intended for use in rockets). I suspect it isn't very high (relative to a HP rocket).

Jim

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know the accelerometer range for this device? Eagle Tree won't tell me (since it's not intended for use in rockets). I suspect it isn't very high (relative to a HP rocket).

Jim
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/933210225X349354X8.pdf manual version 1.5

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/105414429X123718X59.pdf manual version 2.0

The unit has both accelerometers and gyros. It's not clear exactly how they work, but in the 2D control mode (That is wind leveling which is what I believe is the mode you should be using) if the unit measures level as zero volts output in the X- and Y- horizontal axis then the tilt angle output is has a sine wave type response and I don't think the Z- vertical axis acceleration is very important. All the unit has to do is to maintain zero volts out by turning the servos in the proper direction to obtain a zero volt output from each axis. I would assume the gyros would be matrixed into the control loop to kill any rotation in the x-y plane as well in a 2D control loop.

Bob

Jim

Based on the widely available sensors, I'd guess 16g or 8g. This is, one could argue, where the mainstream of accelerometers is, defined by the needs of smart phones, tablets and gaming consoles. For a while, you couldn't get an otherwise comparable sensor (price, packaging size, level of integration) with a significantly higher measurement range. This has improved now, but the few available ones (ADXL375, H3LIS331DL) are still a more expensive (~$10 vs. as low as ~$1, when buying in single quantities). Higher range sensors are also still not available packaged in the same chip with a gyroscope.

There is a chance though, that this is not a problem. As long as the gyroscopes deliver good data, the Guardian should be able to figure out its orientation, at least for short time scales that are long enough for rocketry. While this would be plausible, based on assumptions how it operates and the fact that high performance RC planes can exceed 16g, it is still speculative without Eagle Trees confirmation.

Another, bigger issue, in my opinion is that of control loop stability. Simply put, in control theory there is no "one size fits it all" solution. Control loop parameters that work well in one system can work insufficiently in others. The worst thing that can happen, is that a mismatched controller will make an otherwise stable system unstable. The stability of the control loop will depend, among others, on things like: moments of inertia (mass distribution), location of control surface, size and form of control surfaces, air density and speed. A big rocket, that consists mostly of propellant and other high density materials will behave very differently than a small one consisting mostly of cardboard and empty spaces. Even then, the same rocket will behave very differently right at lift off (high mass, low speed -> slow, gentle reaction to inputs) burnout (lower mass, very high speed, still high air density -> very strong, "nervous" reaction to inputs) and apogee (low speed again, low air density -> not much reaction, but doesn't matter at this point). Especially the squared dependence on the speed will make a big difference in high performance rockets.
Based on what I've read so far about the Guardian, I don't think the Guardian accounts for some of the unique challenges in high performance rockets. Even if it did, it would still be needed to be "dialed in" for a specific rocket/motor combination. This is easy in RC planes. Starting with the most benign/ineffective settings (while depending on pilot skill to keep the plane in the air): Test, land, adjust, retry - 50 times if necessary. With rockets, a similar approach should be possible too (assuming it is statically stable, to begin with) but the turn around times and costs quickly become prohibitive. There are other empirical approaches, that suffer from the same problem. Finally, there is also the theoretical approach, but it is scary. :wink:

Long story short, as of now, I don't think the Guardian is a "solution" for us, but rather a "research subject". If it is not handled the right way, it will be a potential safety issue that is much harder to judge than things that we developed a gut feeling for, like construction technique or static stability.

Reinhard

There is a similar unit that shows an accelerometer range of 4 G's. Hmm.

For my purposes (keeping a multi-stage rockets going reasonably upward), it might be sufficient for the rocket to be pointed up at a point near where the sustainer is lit (i.e., after the booster burn and some coast). Vertical flight wouldn't be the goal for the entire flight, just at the staging point. This might be done with relatively small control surfaces and a gentle control response.

Jim

There is a similar unit that shows an accelerometer range of 4 G's. Hmm.

For my purposes (keeping a multi-stage rockets going reasonably upward), it might be sufficient for the rocket to be pointed up at a point near where the sustainer is lit (i.e., after the booster burn and some coast). Vertical flight wouldn't be the goal for the entire flight, just at the staging point. This might be done with relatively small control surfaces and a gentle control response.

Jim

Actually if you make a forward canard maneuvering payload compartment, the leveler should move the canards to keep the upper stage point up until the velocity drops below where you can make aerodynamic corrections. (That's what was shown and explained in the NARAM Research video.) I'm pretty certain if you use the 2D (leveler) with heading control, you will also eliminate any airframe rotation. You should be able to test it if you take the unit and tilt/spin it. The canards should move continuously to point the rocket vertical.....

Bob

Actually if you make a forward canard maneuvering payload compartment, the leveler should move the canards to keep the upper stage point up until the velocity drops below where you can make aerodynamic corrections. (That's what was shown and explained in the NARAM Research video.) I'm pretty certain if you use the 2D (leveler) with heading control, you will also eliminate any airframe rotation. You should be able to test it if you take the unit and tilt/spin it. The canards should move continuously to point the rocket vertical.....

Bob

I haven't figured out what the 2D/3D really do. Why do you think 2D with heading would stop rotation? Any concerns about canards above supersonic? At least some of the units are MPU-6050, but I don't yet know where they are configured (2,4, 8 or 16 g's) of if that matters.

Jim

I haven't looked at the R&D video for a while, but I'm pretty sure she explained it well and compared it to an airplane orientation. (I believe she used the pitch and roll functions for her stabilization axis.) The Guardian has a 2-D hold heading mode so I'm assuming this utilizes the gyros and that can be used to apply opposite reaction forces to the fin servos. (You should be able to correct a heading change with an opposite pitch-roll correction.) I have no concerns with canards at supersonic velocity as all modern air to air utilize canards at supersonic velocity for directional control. I also do not know exactly what the control laws are inside the Guardian however the x-y plane accelerometers should read 0 if the vehicle is not moving and parallel with the ground and the gyros should so 0 degrees per second of rotation and the drift rates should be stable for short time intervals. I assume the gyro drift rates can be subtracted from the gyro sensor outputs during high G-accelerations to approximate the actual roll and pitch rates, and the x-y plane accelerometers can be used to sense level at other times.

Bob

I have one of the Guardians and have flown it lot on some R/C models.

In "3D" mode, it tries to hold wherever it is pointed and not let the plane rotate in pitch, yaw, or roll, when the transmitter sticks are at neutral. But it has NO IDEA where "up" is. It only resists rotation. if I put it at the highest settings for all three axes, in 3D, put the plane into a 45 degree dive, flip the switch to turn 3D mode on, then the plane will want to try to fly at a 45 degree dive, into the round if I let it

It does have some amount of "drift' over time.

But the above is not the magic answer for rocket boosts.

2D mode is the magic. I like to call it "wings level" mode. The system is turned on, with the plane wings and fuselage level. The Guardian senses the G load as it start up and remembers therefore what direction gravity is (WAS originally) coming from. If for example the plane is tilted nose-up 10 degrees at power-up, then the Guardian will have a 10 degree nose-up pitch error when activated in 2D mode. During flight, when in 2D mode, the Guardian holds the wings level, and the fuselage level. The amazing thing to me is that it remembers this even when flying around for 10-15 minutes, all sorts of turning and maneuvers, it still levels the wings and fuselage properly when letting the control sticks go to center.

21829-3.jpg

Of course, for vertical rocket flight, we want "the fuselage" (rocket body) to be pointed straight up. But it is as simple as having the Guardian mounted horizontally the same orientation as in a plane, with the "top" side facing straight up just like it does for airplane flight. Simply that in that case, the airplane "roll" axis (aileron) becomes the rocket YAW axis, and the airplane Yaw axis (rudder) becomes the rocket ROLL axis. Pitch is the same (well, the rocket body is at 90 degrees compared to a plane fuselage, but the Guardian's sensing and control of the pitch axis is the same axis of rotation).

I think Eagle Tree is being "cagey" in their explanation of how it works. They make a reference to gravity...... but once in the air the plane creates its own G-forces that have nothing to do with Earth Gravity. My take on it is that it uses gravity mostly for the initialization process, then it uses the gyro chips and accelerometers (self-created G force vectors plus gravity vector) to keep track of exactly where it was oriented at start-up, and recalculates the numbers "on the fly". So, it seems to be a micro Inertial Measurement Unit. Which for a relatively inexpensive consumer non-military device I would expect to have some drift over minutes, but none that I could determine with airplane flights.

For a supersonic rocket, I do not think the velocity by itself would be critical. The greater issues would be the structural integrity/strength of the control surface pivot system, servos, pushrods, and control arms. That will be true whether using a $70 Eagle Tree or some military-grade guidance package. And making sure that the guidance system does not cause a way-too-high response that could create extreme g-loads that not only might make the rocket, or some critical part fail structurally, but possibly exceed the limits of the guidance system (But I do not think it is THAT hard to do. Being aware and concerned enogh to worry about it is half the battle already won) .

So, it's not so much whether the Eagle Tree Guardian is suited for it, but is the rocket designer suited to use any guidance system, for a given specific flight envelope? Anyone who wants to throw ANY kind guidance system into a supersonic HPR rocket, without doing any smaller scale test flights first, is either a super-genuis, or is fooling himself tremendously as disaster is very likely to occur without having had any practical experience.

Now having said that, for a supersonic rocket, you'd want to design the canard system and/or Guardian for less control effectiveness than for a rocket that would be flying 100-200 mph. On my Sunguidance rockets, I did experiments that made use of small canards, and large canards. For a really fast flying rocket I'd use smaller canards.

Also, the mechanical linkage ratio between servo output shaft and the shaft of the canard. For example, it could be set up for a 1:1 ratio, 30 degrees of servo shaft rotation produces 30 degrees of canard rotation. But for a very fast rocket, that could have higher stresses, it would be better to "gear it down", so to speak, such as a 1:2 ratio (50%), so that 30 degrees of servo rotation causes 15 degrees of canard rotation. That also has the benefit of the stress on the servo being reduced, so the canard system would require only 50% as much power from the servo as for a 1:1 set-up (this is why I made the gearing-down reference). And this issue of less power required by the servo is also true of using smaller canards. On the flip side, larger canards require more servo power. So no matter what, the servos need to be up to the job, in power and speed.

And, also, of course, the Eagle Tree (or whatever system) can be adjusted for less gain so that it is giving the servos enough control motion to steer the rocket gently on course, without being over-controlled. The down side to reducing the control effectiveness for supersonic speed, is that it will then not be able to control the rocket very well at lower speeds. The ideal situation for a hobby rocket with guidance would be for the guidance system to be able to self-adjust the gain during flight, high gain at launch, less and less gain as it goes faster. The higher-tech way to account for that would be to use airspeed sensors.... another way would be to program in a variable rate of gain (values determined by flight simulations) depending on elapsed time after liftoff (but then would need a foolproof launch detect). But the Guardian could not do that - for a programmable system you'd need something like an Arduino-based R/C model flight stabilization unit (Flyduino).

So, it is a mix of those above THREE things: The aerodynamic responsiveness of the system (Canard size in relation to the rest of the model, including CG location, size of rear fins, and most importantly the Moment of Inertia), the mechanical rotation of the canards in relation to the servo motion, and the Guidance System responsiveness (depending on the gain).

In the animated GIF below, that is from a flight of my Sunguidance model (A bit larger gif than my avatar on all of my postings). It was set for a really "hard ride", very responsive. Now, that was not so great for an onboard camera. so I later made changes so that it would not over-control like that, but still had plenty of control authority.

georgesrockets.com/GRP/video/Airvid/Sun-Pics/SunTesTAnimation3.gif

Now, your concerns about the G-load rating of the Eagle Tree. There is one thing that I could think of as a likely problem. Hybrids. Some of the Hybrids, especially the Hypertek, have a LOT of vibration. Until people learned better, a number of hybrids (often Hypertek) rockets using accelerometer-based altimeters for electronic ejection, crashed because the vibrations confused the h*** out of the accelerometers so they could not accurately detect apogee, often never firing.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Thx George, very usefull post. I like your style. The hybrid issue you mentioned is not new to me , unfotunately...
Anyway I keep going, hoping to repeat your positive experience very soon in 2015. I will report here.

Last edited:
George, likewise, thanks for your response here. Unfortunately, the folks at EagleTree don't seem very interested in talking with me. They have expressed concern about the high acceleration of a rocket (which I share) and its effect on their equipment, but I think they may just want to avoid rockets altogether. I believe they had some information on Alyssa's work on their site, but it seems to not be there now. I was hoping I could figure out something with the Guardian because Arduino is like, well, Italian, and there's a bit of a learning curve there for me.

I plan to do a little testing with the Guardian just to figure out as best I can how it works. The most obvious mode would be to use 2D and just try to have it "level" the rocket with respect to x and y axix yaw, and ignore z axis roll. There is a statement in the instruction manual supplement FAQ that confuses me though:

 When I yaw my model on the ground in 2D the rudder does not move but the ailerons do. What’s up?
This is normal behavior. It’s also one reason ground testing in 2D is not recommended.

I don't understand that statement, and it implies that what we think the unit might do is not what it actually does. It does seem to me that if one had a third set of canards at the CG, then 3D heading hold would be ideal. In any case, some testing will be needed to try and decifer what is actually happening.

On my tiltometer, I have noticed that an apparent tilt is generated under high acceleration. The tilt reverts back to near the baseline at burnout. For my use, it might be desirable to have the unit not control until after burnout. I was thinking it might be possible to interrupt the signals sent to the servos during the burn, and have the servos hold neutral using digital fail safe. I would also like to try getting rid of the rc controller using a servo tester, for example, with a neutral setting. Just thinking out loud at the moment.

Jim

Jim...

Regarding the yaw/rudder/aileron issue you mentioned. Check out the Automatic Turn Coordination section in the 2D section. That may be responsible for the behavior of the control surfaces.

George is being VERY modest. He has been building stabilized rockets for about 2 decades and conducted much of the pioneering work on stabilizing hobby rockets with RC A/C components. George was also Alyssa's mentor and he clearly inspired her work as any great mentor does, and both of them did a far better job than I did in trying to explain their methods.

I have some questions for George about the 2D stabilization mode. Why, or do, you even need the RC receiver/controller?

The best operational explanations for the unit I found on-line is located at https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/105414429X123718X59.pdf

On page 2, the 2D and 2D heading hold modes are described, and it would appears that the Guardian simply matrixes it's outputs into the stick commands as delivered by the receivers servo outputs. Not being an RC guy, what I don't know is where the neutral stick position 50% duty cycle signal for the receiver servo positioning output is generated. Does the Guardian generate corrections to the 50% duty cycle servo pulse after the Guardian is properly zeroed on the bench? If this is so, then I would guess you could use the Guardian as a stand-alone device without the RC TX and RX hardware to provide straight up stabilization.

If my reasoning is correct, I should be able to adjust the servo gain scaling of the Guardian electronics to provide 1 degree of canard fin turning for every degree the rocket axis is off vertical. This would then attempt to maintain a 0-degree AOA of the apparent wind on the canards and force the rocket back on course minimizing the forces on the canard. (A mechanical advantage and angle limiting can be implemented via standard RC linkage methods.) This should work if the mechanical response of the canard servos is fast enough to track the required pitch/roll corrections to the rocket velocity vectors.

If you don't need the RC gear, the ~$65 cost of the Guardian, ~$20 for 2 servos, $10 for a LiPo battery, and maybe another $50 or so for other hardware becomes a really cheap, simple hands-off system to keep the pointy end up all the way to apogee.

George, I'd appreciate your words of wisdom.

Bob

Jim...

Regarding the yaw/rudder/aileron issue you mentioned. Check out the Automatic Turn Coordination section in the 2D section. That may be responsible for the behavior of the control surfaces.

It could be this. Or, it could be that the comment was in reference to the 2D Heading Hold mode, which I think would act as described.

I have one of these in hand now. Time for some testing.

Jim

George is being VERY modest. He has been building stabilized rockets for about 2 decades and conducted much of the pioneering work on stabilizing hobby rockets with RC A/C components. George was also Alyssa's mentor and he clearly inspired her work as any great mentor does, and both of them did a far better job than I did in trying to explain their methods.

I have some questions for George about the 2D stabilization mode. Why, or do, you even need the RC receiver/controller?

The best operational explanations for the unit I found on-line is located at https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/105414429X123718X59.pdf

On page 2, the 2D and 2D heading hold modes are described, and it would appears that the Guardian simply matrixes it's outputs into the stick commands as delivered by the receivers servo outputs. Not being an RC guy, what I don't know is where the neutral stick position 50% duty cycle signal for the receiver servo positioning output is generated. Does the Guardian generate corrections to the 50% duty cycle servo pulse after the Guardian is properly zeroed on the bench? If this is so, then I would guess you could use the Guardian as a stand-alone device without the RC TX and RX hardware to provide straight up stabilization.

If my reasoning is correct, I should be able to adjust the servo gain scaling of the Guardian electronics to provide 1 degree of canard fin turning for every degree the rocket axis is off vertical. This would then attempt to maintain a 0-degree AOA of the apparent wind on the canards and force the rocket back on course minimizing the forces on the canard. (A mechanical advantage and angle limiting can be implemented via standard RC linkage methods.) This should work if the mechanical response of the canard servos is fast enough to track the required pitch/roll corrections to the rocket velocity vectors.

If you don't need the RC gear, the ~$65 cost of the Guardian, ~$20 for 2 servos, $10 for a LiPo battery, and maybe another $50 or so for other hardware becomes a really cheap, simple hands-off system to keep the pointy end up all the way to apogee.

George, I'd appreciate your words of wisdom.

Bob

Yes, I'm very happy George is weighing in here (thrilled actually).

I don't believe an RC radio or receiver is needed. If you don't use one, the following statements might be true:

- You would need to introduce the neutral 1.5ms pulse into each Guardian input to replicate no stick deflection for each channel you want to control
- Since you don't have a mode input, the unit will start up in whatever mode you program it for (2D for example). Not having mode input also causes the overall gain to be reduced.
- You can't re-level the unit at the field (but hopefully you're always starting with the rocket pointed up anyway).

I'm going to try this unit to provide the neutral inputs to the guardian. With luck, it will take 5V in and put out the neutral pulses to 3 servos.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8296__Turnigy_Servo_Tester.html

Yes, it could be cheap (that's what I've told my wife).

Jim

Edit. I should say that Turnigy unit would put out the neutral 1.5ms pulse to the inputs of the Guardian (not the servos). The Guardian would then do its control thing (seeing neutral "sticks" from this virtual rc receiver).

Last edited:
I need to make this a quick one.

It will work to some extent if it loses the transmitter signal, but I would not trust it to work reliably that way. I never did try in-flight to turn off the Tx and see what it does with the plane, because it takes several seconds for the transmitter to re-start and regain control,possibly not regain reception. so I did not want to risk that.

I think it does need the neutral 1.5 ms pulses during the start-up process, at any rate, but am not sure of that. I do not have the gear handy right now to do a bench test.

The biggest reason to replace the R/C gear with a simple little servo pulse generating circuit in a big high flying rocket is not so much cost, but radio range. Most R/C gear is not reliable beyond 1/2 mile, and some cheaper gear less than 1/4 mile. So for a rocket that may go high enough to lose range, it should have an onboard circuit to do that instead.

Something I found with my old Sunguidance models, was sometimes the circuit was not producing a centered control surface position when the model was pointed right at the sun. So, I had two trimpots (Pitch and yaw) on the circuit board, accessed via two holes thru the tube, to use a small screwdriver to adjust the pots to get it centered. For rockets, using the Guardian, I think Alyssa may have run into an issue of "trim", where she used the transmitter trims to make small adjustments. So, that is one big plus of using R/C, very easy to adjust trim. For a rocket with its own servo pulse generating circuit, it might be useful to have trimpot adjustments like I had.

- George Gassaway

Jim,

What are / will you be using to test rocket controls? Whether it's a homegrown wind tunnel or another clever contraption, i'd be very interested in it. I figured that there must be something cheaper/quicker than burning APCP for every test case.

The Guardian senses the G load as it start up and remembers therefore what direction gravity is (WAS originally) coming from. If for example the plane is tilted nose-up 10 degrees at power-up, then the Guardian will have a 10 degree nose-up pitch error when activated in 2D mode.

- George Gassaway

Hi George,

Hi have been following this thread with interest, thanks for your efforts on this topic.

Based on your point above, how do you explain when Alyssa intentionally adjusted the launch angle, in some cases @ 45 degrees, and the rocket corrected to vertical in 2D mode. Unfortunately Alysa did not explain this and based on your explanation of how the Guardian might work and possible insight to her methods, she would of had to set the Guardian vertical first then adjust the launch angle pre-launch.

Thanks

Jim,

What are / will you be using to test rocket controls? Whether it's a homegrown wind tunnel or another clever contraption, i'd be very interested in it. I figured that there must be something cheaper/quicker than burning APCP for every test case.

I'm a bit short on clever. I anticipate learning how to do this via test flights and hopefully finding out more about what others have done. I suspect I'll do pretty much what Alyssa did, which I think was to turn the unit on, change the launch angle and then note the response back to vertical. If it takes a bunch of launches to figure it out, that's fine.

Jim

Yes, I'm very happy George is weighing in here (thrilled actually).

I don't believe an RC radio or receiver is needed. If you don't use one, the following statements might be true:

- You would need to introduce the neutral 1.5ms pulse into each Guardian input to replicate no stick deflection for each channel you want to control
- Since you don't have a mode input, the unit will start up in whatever mode you program it for (2D for example). Not having mode input also causes the overall gain to be reduced.
- You can't re-level the unit at the field (but hopefully you're always starting with the rocket pointed up anyway).

I'm going to try this unit to provide the neutral inputs to the guardian. With luck, it will take 5V in and put out the neutral pulses to 3 servos.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8296__Turnigy_Servo_Tester.html

Yes, it could be cheap (that's what I've told my wife).

Jim

Edit. I should say that Turnigy unit would put out the neutral 1.5ms pulse to the inputs of the Guardian (not the servos). The Guardian would then do its control thing (seeing neutral "sticks" from this virtual rc receiver).

I need to make this a quick one.

It will work to some extent if it loses the transmitter signal, but I would not trust it to work reliably that way. I never did try in-flight to turn off the Tx and see what it does with the plane, because it takes several seconds for the transmitter to re-start and regain control,possibly not regain reception. so I did not want to risk that.

I think it does need the neutral 1.5 ms pulses during the start-up process, at any rate, but am not sure of that. I do not have the gear handy right now to do a bench test.

The biggest reason to replace the R/C gear with a simple little servo pulse generating circuit in a big high flying rocket is not so much cost, but radio range. Most R/C gear is not reliable beyond 1/2 mile, and some cheaper gear less than 1/4 mile. So for a rocket that may go high enough to lose range, it should have an onboard circuit to do that instead.

Something I found with my old Sunguidance models, was sometimes the circuit was not producing a centered control surface position when the model was pointed right at the sun. So, I had two trimpots (Pitch and yaw) on the circuit board, accessed via two holes thru the tube, to use a small screwdriver to adjust the pots to get it centered. For rockets, using the Guardian, I think Alyssa may have run into an issue of "trim", where she used the transmitter trims to make small adjustments. So, that is one big plus of using R/C, very easy to adjust trim. For a rocket with its own servo pulse generating circuit, it might be useful to have trimpot adjustments like I had.

- George Gassaway

Hi George,

Hi have been following this thread with interest, thanks for your efforts on this topic.

Based on your point above, how do you explain when Alyssa intentionally adjusted the launch angle, in some cases @ 45 degrees, and the rocket corrected to vertical in 2D mode. Unfortunately Alysa did not explain this and based on your explanation of how the Guardian might work and possible insight to her methods, she would of had to set the Guardian vertical first then adjust the launch angle pre-launch.

Thanks
While I don't know all the in's and out's of RC electronics, I do know how to setup and calibrate this type of canard system. Once you do a good bench calibration to determine where up is, you do not need to. or want to, change the calibration in the field because you do not have a good level reference of up in the field in the field.

Rationale. You want your rocket to go vertical regardless of the rod/rail angle, and weather cocking of the rocket after rod/rail guidance ends. Unless you level your rod/rail precisely, and make sure the mounted rocket is also mounted vertically, you can not readjust the level in the field and assume the rocket will lift-off vertically. The evidence for this is Allyssa's videos where the launch rod/rail is angled. Once the rocket leaves the launcher guidance it turns vertical, and it could not have done this if the calibrations was altered on the pad.

If the Turnigy unit is stable, and is indeed required to generate the 1.5 ms pulses to center the servos, I see absolutely no advantage to use the RC TX/RX as no manual inputs is/should be required to maintain vertical flight.

A feature of the canard vertical stabilization concept is that it works for single or multistage rockets provide it is located forward of the final stage CG. Additionally since the unit is simply correcting the trajectory and operates a low angles of attack, the aerodynamic stresses on the canards are minimal compared to a high-g maneuvering canard system.

Bob

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/933210225X349354X8.pdf manual version 1.5

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/105414429X123718X59.pdf manual version 2.0

The unit has both accelerometers and gyros. It's not clear exactly how they work, but in the 2D control mode (That is wind leveling which is what I believe is the mode you should be using) if the unit measures level as zero volts output in the X- and Y- horizontal axis then the tilt angle output is has a sine wave type response and I don't think the Z- vertical axis acceleration is very important. All the unit has to do is to maintain zero volts out by turning the servos in the proper direction to obtain a zero volt output from each axis. I would assume the gyros would be matrixed into the control loop to kill any rotation in the x-y plane as well in a 2D control loop.

Bob

I'm semi-retired, so I haven't researched this that thoroughly, though I think Alyssa's paper is the most impressive I've ever seen.

Anyway, it's not clear to me that this unit actually has accelerometers. It's meant to keep an airplane level, and I expect (in my incompetence) that you can probably do that with gyros alone.

-LarryC.

Latest posts

Back