VSS Infinity R/C rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
VSS Infinity.....Many liberties were taken compared to an actual spaceship 2, but I'm hoping it will fly in this format which works with the parts I have in stock and with simple elevons for control to get r/c components forward, tail cone will be removed for flight to allow the motor to be more forward for cg reasons...10 oz rtf. 31" long, 2.6" diameter, 17" span.

I widened the wingspan and shortened the tails slightly to help CG and reduced the horizontal surfaces so hopefully they won't fight the elevons I'm using for pitch/roll. Using elevons moves the radio equipment further forward without long linkages in the tails. Tails have 2.5mm carbon spars installed and the covered over with a layer of 3mm depron attached with 3m-77 spray. Wing has a 3mm spar.

The tail cone was made from a PNC-80K nose cone, the base cut off and altered and glued inside and then the tip of the cone cut at an angle and shortened and glued onto the base inside the opening. it's too heavy to fly with it in place and would force the motor to be too far back. Now I can move the motor forward 7 or so inches.

This is after about 3 hours of work.
216254535_899632160673428_3800324960433170376_n.jpg214943470_899668747336436_5658534833377572401_n.jpg215427118_899668714003106_5974331825047337271_n.jpg218123319_899668800669764_4226603272292264682_n.jpgaiming for 10

Last edited:
Really impressive!

Just how thick is the depron on the vertical surfaces? Not thick enough to bury thin wing servos and drive the horizontal tail surfaces directly?

I know that would put a significant amount of weight aft of the c/g, and also outboard which would slow roll response so it is probably not worth it (though it would allow you to length the tails and control surfaces further aft of the c/g would increase their effectiveness for pitch control)...

The prior creations of yours that I've seen have all be good performers, and I'm confident this will continue in that vein.

Vertical stabs are 9mm. I'm sure you can put tiny servos in there but now you have to route the wires forward and tail weight that far back is just a killer, I did do a spaceship one with fully movable services but it required so much nose weight that it didn't boost very high and I'm trying to avoid that.

Really impressive!

Just how thick is the depron on the vertical surfaces? Not thick enough to bury thin wing servos and drive the horizontal tail surfaces directly?

I know that would put a significant amount of weight aft of the c/g, and also outboard which would slow roll response so it is probably not worth it (though it would allow you to length the tails and control surfaces further aft of the c/g would increase their effectiveness for pitch control)...

The prior creations of yours that I've seen have all be good performers, and I'm confident this will continue in that vein.

Indoor glide tests went as expected, CG was at 25% of MAC, you get a little lift from the rear stabilizers but also from the nose so it seems to wash out. Empty airframe is 5.4 oz, balasted with components 10 oz rtf. About 6 oz/sq foot glide

Last edited:
Looking good! Somewhere I have the 1/144 Revell Germany plastic kit of this. Are you going to get Stickershock to whip up the logo decal for the belly? The plastic kit is not the current markings, but the belly is about the same.

Attachments

• ss2g.jpg
    ss2g.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 20
I'm not sure, It flies really well like this and I hate to add weight, that much area on the bottom would add close to half an ounce....
Also, it would look good with silver trim but I've never gotten a silver spray to look that good on bare depron, never looks shiny.....

Oops, did I spill the beans and say I flew it?

Looking good! Somewhere I have the 1/144 Revell Germany plastic kit of this. Are you going to get Stickershock to whip up the logo decal for the belly? The plastic kit is not the current markings, but the belly is about the same.

Looking great!

You could bite the bullet and break out the airbrush and do the logo, for almost no weight, but lots of time…:)

Or find a artist that likes to work in felt tip pen and turn them loose.

I'm going to have Mark do some blue roundels with the virgin logo one for the bottom, one for each tail pod and one for each side of the fuse, not scale but it will have the feel of what I was trying to accomplish.

Looking great!

You could bite the bullet and break out the airbrush and do the logo, for almost no weight, but lots of time…:)

Or find a artist that likes to work in felt tip pen and turn them loose.

I wanted to keep my R/C spaceship two light. I didn't want to do a complex paint job on it, and printed vinyl that were large enough to cover the entire bottom of the wing and tail fins would have been too heavy, so I decided to stick with a white scheme with silver accents and I had Mark at sticker shock do me some cut vinyl blue virgin logos that I thought fit well enough that it looks the part.IMG_20210722_154831227.jpgIMG_20210722_154733497~2.jpg

Wind was about 10mph gusting today, but my R/C Virgin Galactic Spaceship Two cristened VSS Infinity handled it with no problems doing nice hovering as I lowered it gently to the ground...
I also tested out my wireless transmitter controlled launch control module using a small 800mah 3s lipo pack, worked great!

Wind was about 10mph gusting today, but my R/C Virgin Galactic Spaceship Two cristened VSS Infinity handled it with no problems doing nice hovering as I lowered it gently to the ground...
I also tested out my wireless transmitter controlled launch control module using a small 800mah 3s lipo pack, worked great!

Some winds! Looks like if you had done a single one of your usual multiple circles that puppy would have been in a different zip code.

Yes in heavy wind, s curves to always stay into the wind or in this case, just roll into the wind after boost and just stay there, I had to push nose down a few times on the first flight to make some forward progress to avoid the sprinklers at the end of the field. On the second launch I pulled over on the back and then rolled into the wind so I was a but further upwind than the first flight.

Some winds! Looks like if you had done a single one of your usual multiple circles that puppy would have been in a different zip code.

I'll see what I can draw up with very simple instructions, sales have been very slow and I don't feel like investing in another kit right now that probably wouldn't sell much.

Whispering “kit, kit, kit……”

Or at least some basic templates…:)

Back