Vintage 1980's Astro Pop!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
Some of you are too young to know what an astro pop is, but I remember it well. An old classmate of mine owns "Farts" candy company, and they're going to re-release the astro pop on the market. I wanted to commemorate the releaes with an astro pop rocket.

I'm still in the design phase, and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to construct a 6' tall cone with a 36" (approx) base. Anyway, this build promises to be at least somewhat interesting- I haven't made any decisions as yet, so it's up in the air right now. Looking for ideas.

pop.jpg

Hope your buddy's insurance is paid up because some damn fool is bound to file a lawsuit cause their kid stabbed them-self with an Astro Pop.

I totally remember buying Astro Pops, yard long Red Vine Ropes and foot-long packages of Laughy Taffy from the concession stand after playing little league baseball. The Astro Pops did get sharp as a tack if you didn't bite the end off.

I know Hobby Lobby should have some 3'-4' long cone shaped Santa Clause and Christmas trees right about now. It's not 6' but might make for a good prototype.

Are you going to use the stick, too? That would be cool.

I know Hobby Lobby should have some 3'-4' long cone shaped Santa Clause and Christmas trees right about now. It's not 6' but might make for a good prototype.

Are you going to use the stick, too? That would be cool.

Thanks for the tip- i'd rather buy the cone anyway. Yeah, the stick will likely be the motor tube. Still trying to figure out how to make the cone look translucent.

If you want to make it translucent-looking, paint the colors on that you want the apply lots of clear spraypaint- that should work.

paint them how they'd normally be pained, clear coat, and then...

i'm not sure exactly what it is. it's like plastic wrap but colored. I saw it at NSL, a bunch of engineering students had buildings wrapped in it that they were launching. even on a solid surface it should give a pretty translucent effect :)

Latest posts

Back