Video of experimental rocket motor static test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laszlo

Reaction score
My previous post "Experimental rocket motor design and construction" has been viewed and commented on by many. I appreciate all of the feedback and shared enthusiasm. This J-class project has concluded and I would say it was a success. It will take time to dissect and learn everything I can from the video and motor case, nozzle erosion, insulation casing, o-rings, evidence of thermal stress. But I look forward to comparing all of this to what was predicted by theory. This motor is nothing new, and the use of S.S. was regarded as poor judgment. I wasn't intending to re-invent rocketry. But the fact is that 304 stainless steel is what I had available to me and I found it a fun challenge and challenge to build a motor as powerful as possible without destroying this stainless steel case. I would never use stainless steel to fly a rocket and I want to make that clear, but the lessons and challenges that I learned and have overcome was the point in the first place. I have to admit it feels pretty good that I pulled it off despite the naysayers. I would like to thank all of the folks who contributed constructive criticism because I learned quite a bit of new stuff.

Remember safety is always the most important thing, it certainly is to me. Followed by absolute performance :). Nobody's safety was ever compromised during this process and there wasn't a human being (other than me and my friend) for half a mile when the static test took place. Here is a quick video clip. PM me if you want specific details.
[video=youtube;nqH97BMj0RM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nqH97BMj0RM[/video]

Back