Video of Eggfinder Voice?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris in Idaho

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where there's a video showing the eggfinder telemetry with the voice box on the receiver going through a complete flight? I'd love to get an idea what it sounds like and what data it reports.

Well, I don't have a video to share with you but I can say it works great. My club lets me plug the output of the voice module into our club's PA system so that it voices out the data over the PA. I did check beforehand to make sure that if the LCO needed to make an announcement that he could override or speak over the input. Also, the crowd gets a kick out of the way the "altimeter ready for launch" is voiced....it almost sounds like "altimeter ready for lunch." I suggested to Cris that he should use Stephen Hawking's voice instead.

It actually DOES sound a bit like Stephen Hawking... maybe like a cross between his "voice", and ELO's "Mr Blue Sky".

Pretty cool! Is there a difference in the information announced between an Eggfinder TX or Mini vs a Quasar?

The GPS transmitters do not announce in-flight altitude... that data tends to lag way behind, so it's not very useful. It WILL announce your compass direction and distance in real-time... and if you have LCD-GPS module and are on the navigation screen, it will announce the direction and distance.

The GPS transmitters do not announce in-flight altitude... that data tends to lag way behind, so it's not very useful. It WILL announce your compass direction and distance in real-time... and if you have LCD-GPS module and are on the navigation screen, it will announce the direction and distance.
So Cris, was that not an Egtimer voice on the video in Post #4 above ?

Thanks.

-- kjh

That was the eggtimer voice that comes from the altimeters.
When using a gps transmitter you don’t get the “ready for flight” and altitude announcements. But you do get the same voice reading the compass direction and distance to the rocket after landing.
IMG_3255.jpeg
I have both receivers with a single voice module. There is a switch on the side to connect the output of the receivers to the voice module.
I listen to the altimeter during launch and then switch to the gps and listen while walking to the rocket.

Check Youtube

Thanks I've seen that one. I was looking for examples of what it calls out during flight regarding altitude and velocity.
I see now that's not what you get with an eggfinder, only with a Quasar or other telemetry device.

Thanks I've seen that one. I was looking for examples of what it calls out during flight regarding altitude and velocity.
I see now that's not what you get with an eggfinder, only with a Quasar or other telemetry device.
You're "supposed" to get voice ASL altitude updates with the GPS trackers, the current version of the firmware is a little flakey with GPS altitude and it doesn't always work. We're testing and updated version of the LCD firmware, early tests look promising. Of course, the data is only as good as what you get out of the GPS... for low and short flights, the altitude data tends to lag far enough behind that it's not very useful, for higher flights (5K and above) I've seen real-time GPS altitude data that's pretty decent.

The TRS/Quasar and the altimeters send out baro altitude, the same data that's used for flight events so the real-time altitude data is very responsive.

Thanks, cerving.

If the velocity and altitude call outs are my primary interest, simply because it makes the flight more entertaining, would a Quasar be the best product?

The altimeter-related voice call-outs are: armed, not armed, launched, live altitude, apogee, and enabled deployment events. That's true for the ION, Quantum, Proton, Quasar, and TRS. The Quark only calls out altitude and apogee. Velocity is not called out... although we may add maximum velocity to the Proton only (since it has a 200G accelerometer it's going to be accurate... baro velocity has to be taken with a grain of salt.)

The Quasar is the only product that gives you both GPS and altimeter data with a single LCD receiver, the altimeters with an Eggtimer Telemetry Module send out the altimeter data but not GPS data. You'd need a separate GPS transmitter and receiver for that.

Does anyone have or know where there's a video showing the eggfinder telemetry with the voice box on the receiver going through a complete flight? I'd love to get an idea what it sounds like and what data it reports.
This YouTube of the eggStation test at Potter last May has the complete flight audio along with the telemetry, event, and bearing-range plot:

Back