ValueRockets laser demonstration grains

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyLight

Reaction score
So, I saw that ValueRockets.com sells packs of various sizes and types of propellant grains for use in laser demonstrations. I found that amusingly coincidental since, before I got back into rocketry, I had build a high power laser. Have any of you ever seen one of those demonstrations performed? I have a couple of grains from a 29/60 reload that I accidentally ruined a long time ago and am thinking about trying it out. The only thing I don't know is how the propellant burns outside of a case.

I have no Idea what a "Laser Demonstration Grain" is. Lasers are generally pretty impressive by themselves, even without Solid Propellant getting involved.

The only thing I don't know is how the propellant burns outside of a case.

It burns pretty much the same in most cases, just at a much slower rate.

Although I think smokey propellants, Black Jack, etc, burn with white smoke and flame out in the open.

Also, fast burning grains, Blue Thunder, etc, might spin around a bit too.

hmm. It could just be fragments. I wonder if you could use it to ignite motors.

hmm. It could just be fragments. I wonder if you could use it to ignite motors.

I once fixed up my Estes Patriot with a C6-7 (all I had) and used some fuse I had laying around from the Phantom Fireworks showroom and lit the fuse with the laser. It was pretty cool and went off without a hitch. I've also thought about igniting directly with a laser but I can't think of a way that wouldn't damage, or at least dirty, the lens or a mirror with the exhaust.

I once fixed up my Estes Patriot with a C6-7 (all I had) and used some fuse I had laying around from the Phantom Fireworks showroom and lit the fuse with the laser. It was pretty cool and went off without a hitch. I've also thought about igniting directly with a laser but I can't think of a way that wouldn't damage, or at least dirty, the lens or a mirror with the exhaust.

I think he means igniting the propellant chunks with a traditional, but "wimpy" ignitor that is easier to fire, and then using that heat to start a larger one, all within its core.

Interesting, looks like Aerotech is just trying to get rid of their small leftover bits of propellent.

Odds are this is end cuts of sticks of propellant or excess volume that doesn't make it into the casting tubes. They cut it up, sell it to you, and then you point a laser at it to light it on fire.

Odds are this is end cuts of sticks of propellant or excess volume that doesn't make it into the casting tubes. They cut it up, sell it to you, and then you point a laser at it to light it on fire.

That's the most sensible conclusion since it's 6 bucks for 100 grams of various lengths of various propellants. Also, the big warning that they are not to be used as motors. I think I'm going to have some fun and make a video or two once my body decides it's had enough of this virus. :D

It burns like a strong road flare with many of the properties (sparky, flame color, smoke) of the propellant. Much slower though. If cored, a little faster than a solid cylinder. At atmospheric pressure it is not fast burn like inside a casing.

Back