Using DeOxit on Controller Clips And Battery Terminals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
Have been using this since my first launch, and have had great cold weather results. Does anyone else use DeOxit on their igniter clips, and battery terminals?

DeOxit is very nearly a miracle product. It has solved problems for me time and time again.

Not sure if it'll help much with exhaust corrosion on igniter clips? (I'm not sure anything other than scraping/sanding works, TBH)

As a musician, i use it all the time and it's worked very well. BUT, I have a Mazda MX5 with a Ford Fusion motor in it. The connector to the ecu had been causing problems with a check sum error. I cleaned the terminals with deoxit and for a few days it worked as it should, but then back to the error code. I tried CRC electrical cleaner and haven't had a problem since. Go figure!! I have a little "launch" pouch that I carry out to the pad that has a small sanding stick that I quickly hit the clips with, just in case. I also swipe the clips together to see if their shorted...just in case!

I don't think the Caig stuff is water displacing whereas some of the others mentioned here might be? That might make a difference in a repair scenario with moisture involved.

(I'm remembering the time my Audi leaked and drowned some control box under the passenger seat, what a mess)

I don't think the Caig stuff is water displacing whereas some of the others mentioned here might be? That might make a difference in a repair scenario with moisture involved.

(I'm remembering the time my Audi leaked and drowned some control box under the passenger seat, what a mess)
If I am not mistaken, DeOxit does leave a coating that is supposed to slow down oxidization. The stuff is super expensive, and always going up, so I apply it with a cotton swab. Have seen some guys spray it all over the place, which certainly is one way to use up a can fast.

If I am not mistaken, DeOxit does leave a coating that is supposed to slow down oxidization. The stuff is super expensive, and always going up, so I apply it with a cotton swab. Have seen some guys spray it all over the place, which certainly is one way to use up a can fast.

I am pretty sure that CRC 2-26 is comparable (or even better) and MUCH cheaper... Have seen lots of debate about this in train forums... I have used CRC 2-26 to repair / rejuvenate hundreds of old locomotives. Plastic and paint safe (although it will soak into cardboard).

I am pretty sure that CRC 2-26 is comparable (or even better) and MUCH cheaper... Have seen lots of debate about this in train forums... I have used CRC 2-26 to repair / rejuvenate hundreds of old locomotives. Plastic and paint safe (although it will soak into cardboard).
Believe me, Deoxit is great stuff, but it is indeed overpriced. Ask a Caig representative, and they will even confess that it is way too much for what it is.

I have also used CRC QD Contact cleaner to clean lots of tiny motors etc... -- great for cutting grease. I am not sure it would have a role in rockets. I also accidentally purchased CRC Lectra Clean one time... That stuff is an aggressive degreaser and will melt plastic / dissolve paint. However, I wonder if it would clean alligator clips that have gone through a few launches..

Back