Upscale Gemini Titan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge04

Reaction score
Has anyone done an upscale version of the Gemini Titan for 24mm motors? This is something I've been thinking about for a while now, but I haven't seen anything about it yet.I could probably do one myself but I would need help with it.Also I don't have a computer so I won't be able to use any programs for it.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. I did a 1/35 scale. Same as the Estes Mercury Atlas.
That's cool.Do you have any in flight photos? I had the original kit when I was younger but I kinda screwed up the build and I've been looking for another one ever since.So in the unlikely event that someone out there has one in the original package I'd be willing to pay a good price for it.I haven't built or flown anything in many years now and finding one of these now would be a real treat.Also, another rare one I've been looking for is the Centuri Quasar, haven't seen one of those since the early 70's.I'd be pretty happy if I could find either one of them.Let me know if you hear anything.

Upscale? The original was 120” in diameter.

Some notable “Big” Gemini-Titans have used the Revell 1/24 scale Gemini spacecraft with.a 5” tube.

These days, you can probably find a decent 3D STL file of the spacecraft and get it 3D printed for what’re scale you’d like. I think BT-80 (2.6” would be pretty nice.

“Standard” scale sizes, like s 1/35, I do not scale for as it only woks for a very limited number of models. I’d rather go by what approximate size of model, and engine power range, interests me. For example, I have done “sport” shuttle models at 1/110 scale, because its a nice size and matches BT-55 and 3” tubing, And flies nice on D12 power. “Just” taking it to 1/100 scale would not only require custom tubes, but significantly more mass (cube loading), and drag, so it would require an E to fly about as well as a D12.

Also for example, my 1/39.5 scale title Joe-II models. Because a 12” wide plastic sheet with 120 corrugated so, when curled into a tube for the main body,, defined the model scale at 1/39.5.

And actuallly the scale factor usually comes down to what basic part can be used such as a tube diameter. Or a unique part like plastic mode spacecraft, or a certain model rocket nose cone shape instead of having to fabricate a scale nose.

Upscale? The original was 120” in diameter.

Some notable “Big” Gemini-Titans have used the Revell 1/24 scale Gemini spacecraft with.a 5” tube.

These days, you can probably find a decent 3D STL file of the spacecraft and get it 3D printed for what’re scale you’d like. I think BT-80 (2.6” would be pretty nice.

“Standard” scale sizes, like s 1/35, I do not scale for as it only woks for a very limited number of models. I’d rather go by what approximate size of model, and engine power range, interests me. For example, I have done “sport” shuttle models at 1/110 scale, because its a nice size and matches BT-55 and 3” tubing, And flies nice on D12 power. “Just” taking it to 1/100 scale would not only require custom tubes, but significantly more mass (cube loading), and drag, so it would require an E to fly about as well as a D12.

Also for example, my 1/39.5 scale title Joe-II models. Because a 12” wide plastic sheet with 120 corrugated so, when curled into a tube for the main body,, defined the model scale at 1/39.5.

And actuallly the scale factor usually comes down to what basic part can be used such as a tube diameter. Or a unique part like plastic mode spacecraft, or a certain model rocket nose cone shape instead of having to fabricate a scale nose.
Well, thanks for the input.But it was basically just an idea, and I've been away from flying for almost 40 years now.It might take awhile for me to get my building chops back after being away for so long but that's to be expected.So I'm gonna put some thought into it and see what I come up with.Would like to get some specs on a 24 mm motor version if anybody has some.Unfortunately I don't have a computer so I can't do anything with programs on line.

Well, thanks for the input.But it was basically just an idea, and I've been away from flying for almost 40 years now.It might take awhile for me to get my building chops back after being away for so long but that's to be expected.So I'm gonna put some thought into it and see what I come up with.Would like to get some specs on a 24 mm motor version if anybody has some.Unfortunately I don't have a computer so I can't do anything with programs on line.
What I did not specifically get into, is you mention an upscale.....but not mentioning what kit. There was the original Estes Gemini-Titan BT-70 (2.22") diameter model of the late 1960's, with two 18mm engine for power. And a balsa Gemini nose cone plus cardboard adapter shrouds. I had one, built it before I had decent skills, but it flew nice (just looked poor. And cutting out the Gemini window recesses of the balsa cone sucked)

Then in the 1980's, the surprisingly short-lived BT-60 kit, with blow-molded Gemini spacecraft. It surprised me that it was out only such a short time.

So if you are thinking of the 1980's kit, ironically the original 1960's BT-70 version might be a good one to consider scaling up. At least for clustered 18mm engines, or a single D engine. You can find kit plans on the JimZ site. You would probably not want to duplicate that kit as it was, but it's a good starting point for ideas even if you use a different scale. I gotta say the outward cant of the clustered motors was a brilliant idea, that would be good to copy if you do a clustered model (I also skewed mine to get a bit of roll)

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-21.pdf
If you wanted a single 24mm but more than D power, then a 3.0" diameter one on E power could be nice, but BT-80 might be the sweet spot depending on altitude, length, transport, etc, Plus however you do the clear fins (always a PITA)

I made a BT-80 (2.6") model of a Dyna-Soar Titan-II clustered by two D12's, which flew well on the two D12's. Due to the design I did not have to mess with clear fins, but did need a LOT of noseweight to counteract the wing area up front.

iuzsuzU.jpg

More info: http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X20.htm

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay - had to put in a day's work on the canning line.

Here's the build thread.

I made the body tube myself. The nosecone was turned by Gordon Agnello - Sandman.

I picked 1/35 specifically to match the Estes Mercury Restone and Atlas - even if it did mean having to learn to make tubing. I haven’t worked myself up to a 1/35 Saturn 1B yet.

Gemini Titan 1/35 build | The Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay - had to put in a day's work on the canning line.

Here's the build thread.

I made the body tube myself. The nosecone was turned by Gordon Agnello - Sandman.

I picked 1/35 specifically to match the Estes Mercury Restone and Atlas - even if it did mean having to learn to make tubing. I haven’t worked myself up to a 1/35 Saturn 1B yet.

Gemini Titan 1/35 build | The Rocketry Forum
Well, gotta say, you do some really fine work.The thing I screwed up on so long ago was the paint scheme, at the time I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to do it right.The construction was actually easier than I thought it would be considering what limited skills I'd developed at that time.I never did get to fly it though, there were several reasons for that.The one time I did take it out to fly I had a low battery and I would have had to walk home to get another one.Also we didn't have a car there at the time so we couldn't use the battery, and I never got a chance to try again.Just a long story all around.I actually have a line on another one and we'll see what happens within another week or so_Once again, a really impressive piece of work.I can just imagine how good it's gonna look when you get both motors to light.

As was mentioned earlier you can get a 3D printed from Boyce or Balsa Machine carries a BT70. I have used both. Have you thought about using the Quest D motors and stay with 18mm motors? Boyce's builders kit recommends them for the BT70 kit.

Attachments

• GT 1.PNG
    GT 1.PNG
    173.3 KB · Views: 18
What's that company's full name , is it Balsa Machine Services?I checked out Boyce Aerospace and they have some really nice stuff, gonna look into the Gemini Titan , that's right up my alley.

Good info I have a G-T on the drawing board right now too. Twin 18 mm to 13 mm upper stage.

BMS is really nice for balsa noses, tubes, parts, supplies, etc.

BUT, it is such a huge PITA to try to carve those Gemini windows to even get close to the ballpark.

3D print is the best way to go if you want a nice looking Gemini-Titan model. Or the Revell 1/48 or 1/24 kits (too bad that 1/48 needs a 2.5" tube and not 2.6).

BUT, it is such a huge PITA to try to carve those Gemini windows to even get close to the ballpark.

I was able to use a flat head screwdriver and just depress the balsa down, then after painting the capsule I just used some silver paint and my windows came out good.

Or as mentioned if you can find the 1/48th scale plastic model that had both the Gemini and Mercury capsules...and make the tube yourself by modifying the 2.6....not that far off. And not that hard to do...just make a long vertical trim cut in the 2.6 tube and reclose it back together using a long paper support tab/piece glued inside....easy, done it many times to fit objects not sized to fit standard tubes.

Last edited:
Just ran across this thread. I cheated & used one J800 motor with two upside-down aluminum shot glasses on either side as nozzle simulations.

6" diameter Blue Tube with a homemade capsule. Polycarbonate fins. Lettering from Stickershock23.

Attachments

• gemini.jpg
    gemini.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 0
Just ran across this thread. I cheated & used one J800 motor with two upside-down aluminum shot glasses on either side as nozzle simulations.

6" diameter Blue Tube with a homemade capsule. Polycarbonate fins. Lettering from Stickershock23.
:goodjob: how did it fly?, what size chute did you use?

Anybody have a good copy of the decal set. I’m looking for a clean .jpg at 300 dpi to make a decal of the interstate area. I could mask it and paint, but it will be a PITA.

Back