Upscale Experts.....I need some help (Orbital Transport)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I usually find it easier to do a quick Excel sheet to scale everything, and then tweak by hand as needed to match commercially available tube diameters, lengths, nose profiles, etc.

That's exactly what I do, too.

I end up with different columns, based on the size of a single part, and I have other columns, with other diameters.

As an example, when I upscaled the Squirrel Works Liberator, it was a compromise -- no two tubes matched perfectly. So, I found one that was a size I was comfortable building, and which got me close on readily available tubes.

You'll also often find that you have to do "good enough" on some measurements. Unless, that is, you like (and have the ability to) measure and cut to the hundredth or thousandth.... Depending on your scaling factor, the closest 1/8" or 1/4" is often good enough.

-Kevin

There's a guy in my "local" club that built a beautiful 4x upscale Orbiter. I don't know him myself, but I've seen the rocket a couple of times - it's pretty sweet. I've only got one (not very good) pic included here. I think Alex/aksrockets might have some video - see if he can post it for you.

The builder's name is Bob Morstadt. You might try to get in touch with him via UROC - he might have some useful tips and guidance. I don't believe he is a member here on TRF.

ot.jpg

s6

Thanks Luke. I made something similar a while back for SEMROC stock.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41841-SEMROC-Tube-Sizes-Sheet&highlight=tube

You're welcome...

I don't think I included the "blue eyed stepchild" tube sizes like the old Estes Mercury Atlas, Big Daddy, or other such stuff that was never sold as "parts" by anybody... I basically took the Quest, Estes, Semroc, and Totally Tubular catalogs and listed all their tubes from smallest to largest on one list...

Makes it REAL easy to see what size tubes you need on a project, what's close commercially, and how far off from the "actual" measurement it would be... (usually if it's within about 0.150, I can live with it... try to make sure that if they're off-size, that all the tubes are a little too small (by varying amounts) or a little too big... if some are too big and others are too small, it can be VERY noticeable...)

Good luck with your project! OL JR :)

There's a guy in my "local" club that built a beautiful 4x upscale Orbiter. I don't know him myself, but I've seen the rocket a couple of times - it's pretty sweet. I've only got one (not very good) pic included here. I think Alex/aksrockets might have some video - see if he can post it for you.

The builder's name is Bob Morstadt. You might try to get in touch with him via UROC - he might have some useful tips and guidance. I don't believe he is a member here on TRF.

View attachment 119133

s6
I sure do have video!
[YOUTUBE]FJVk6hdZra0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]LQ6ZCkADP5E[/YOUTUBE]
hmm, i thought I had more. I'll keep looking.

BTW, Bob goes by 'aerostadt' 'round here. He's posted several times in this thread!
(edit: actually the post above me)

Alex

You may also want to consider getting the orbiter nose cone from Sandman. For the 4x OT the orbiter nose cone was an odd shape and I needed a custom-made (balsa) nose cone. The one I got from Sandman was excellent.

SEMROC also carries an exact BT-60 upscale of the main nosecone.

I used 1/8" balsa on my booster, that's just a tiny tiny bit under the 168% upscale.

And 3/32" balsa for the orbiter is really close and just a tiny bit under.

Close enough.

I'm replying with my wife's iPad so I can't post the pics of mine but mine is a 168% the same as what you want to build.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I used 1/8" balsa on my booster, that's just a tiny tiny bit under the 168% upscale.

Close enough.

I'm replying with my wife's iPad so I can't post the pics of mine but mine is a 168% the same as what you want to build.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Close enough.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.:wink:

BTW, Bob goes by 'aerostadt' 'round here. He's posted several times in this thread!
(edit: actually the post above me)

I believe the appropriate response for me here is, "duh".
Thanks Alex for setting me straight. And sorry, Bob, for not knowing "who you are".

s6 (backing away quietly with head lowered).

Close enough.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.:wink:

Cool. I'm not at all concerned with it being true to scale. Mostly I am concerned with the flight capabilities. Did you do a build thread when you made yours Sandman?

Cool. I'm not at all concerned with it being true to scale. Mostly I am concerned with the flight capabilities. Did you do a build thread when you made yours Sandman?

No, I actually built mine about 8 years ago.

Flown twice but sorry, no flight pics.

It's a BT-60 booster body and a BT-55 orbiter. Fly's nice on a D12-3

168 percent upscale.JPG

168 percent upscale apart.JPG

168 bottom.JPG

D12-3...nothing else!

I think an Aeotech E30 may be a bit too much for all that balsa.

E9 may not have enough oomph...lots of draggy balsa

And an E12...well, I don' know about them yet...I have seen two blow up...not mine somebody else's.

Hmm...I am making it capable of taking E9s and E12s, but you are probably right about the balsa. I'm going to do the big wings out of basswood, but the glider might be a problem.

Back