Upgrading Plastic / E2X type kits with construction and paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertH3

No need to buy stands after a launch day!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else try this? I did the Red Flare (background) and MPC Marvin the Martian X2 (which really needs nose weight). Wondered if there were any wondrous Alpha 3's or other arted up plastic fin kits out there. I also did the MPC Duck Dodgers but on my kit the plastic wasn't up to spec...

On Marvin, I basically cleaned and fine sanded the plastic, did as nice as possible a job gluing it together (incl. better glue for plastic fin can to tube), then light primer and paint. Used Marigold yellow on Marvin and hiding the original plastic finish really put some shine on the kit. I actually felt like I got something nice.

Red Flar - not as nice but still better than smacked together.

Cheers / Robert

Marvin the Martian X2.jpgNew Rockets Built.jpg

I painted the old (2005?) Mini Marz Lander RTF kit to match the classic scheme. Then used Tango Pappa decals.

I primed the kit, and spray painted with Tamiya plastic paints.

92uQdhLh.jpg

I had issues with the paint sticking. Did you have any issues?

The Marigold yellow took 4-ever to dry. It's slow drying but 5 days in the summer to no-tack. Suspect it's the plastic used. I don't think any of them use the good old Revell/Monogram styrene anymore. Dawn and alcohol bath probably needed.
Figures are tough - never seen a Nomad before!

Cheers / Robert

I can't leave anything alone. I paint everything including most rockets that don't require it. Here are a few of the rockets put together that didn't require paint but got it anyways

In Order below. All have custom vinyl for decals.

- Alpha 3. I have so many of these I keep messing with the paint and vinyl. I came up with this retro theme that I though worked pretty well.
- Quest Big Rage. Started with a lit with crushed tube and went from there.
- Quest Bright Hawk. Stuck close to stock colors but hated the faded plastics.
- Fire Streak. This thing is a train wreck right out of the bag. Started over with an internal tube that fit and epoxied everything together. Painted Plum Crazy and custom vinyl.
- Phantom Blue. Repainted after a few hard landings.
- Power patrol. Replaced stock plastic launch lug and painted main body tube. Custom vinyl as it originally came with a crappy sticker.
- Custom Razor. This was a complete rebuild. Went with brighter color and custom vinyl.
- Shattered. This started life as an Alpha 3 kit with a crushed tube. I flipped the fin can and with the help of a Dremel tool and some epoxy, ended up with what you see here.

.IMG_8673.jpgIMG_8670.jpgIMG_8216.jpgIMG_9287.jpgPhantom Blue.jpgPower patrol 2.jpgIMG_9364.jpgIMG_8641.jpg

Last edited:
The Alpha 3 is mega bada$$. All the rest look like they should, not like plastic!

I saw the Majestic when it posted and it's a stunner -in regular trim it's a fly till you trash it kit but that one is NOT. Keeper.
I was bummed as a kid with some of the plastic ones except mini X-15 and mini Vampire, and those were molded toys, no accomplishment. It's a place where the mfrs could do some improvement.

Cheers / Robert

Back