Updated RASAero II Flight Simulation Apogee Altitude Accuracy Plot on RASAero Web Site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Rogers

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
To All:

An updated RASAero II Flight Simulation Apogee Altitude Accuracy Plot and Tabular Data have been added to the RASAero web site. The Plot and Tabular Data are for the RASAero II Flight Simulation Apogee Altitude compared with Barometric Altimeter Data, Optical Tracking Data, Accelerometer-Based Flight Data, and GPS Flight Data for a representative set of High Power Rockets and Amateur Rockets.

The RASAero II Flight Simulation Apogee Altitude Accuracy Plot and Tabular Data are on the Comparisons with Altitude Data Page (click on the button on the upper left of the RASAero web site Home Page [ www.rasaero.com ] ), or you can click on the link below.

https://www.rasaero.com/comparisons-alt.htm

In addition to checking out the Plot, I would also look at the Tabular Data, as there is a lot of data of interest included in the Tabular Data.

The RASAero II Flight Simulation Apogee Altitude Accuracy Plot is also presented below.

1678981244497.png

For this representative set of High Power Rockets and Amateur Rockets:

RASAero II Flight Simulation

Average Error in Apogee Altitude = 3.47%

80.6% of the flights within +/-10%

41.7% of the flights within +/-5%

Charles E. (Chuck) Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

Hello Chuck !

It's been 25 years more-or-less since we played with AltAcc CD -vs- Mach Number Data Reductions and I've wondered about you from time to time.

I left San Diego and now live in Central TX.

I see you're still going strong with the RASAero Programs -- Good stuff there !

I am sure we will be talking more when I get going with my shiney-new Blue Raven :)

-- kjh

Konrad:

Great to hear from you!

I remember when you and I were trying to back out Drag Coefficient (CD) data from your flight data (and data from some other rockets) that the rockets were reaching just over Mach 1, and with the rockets burning out just over Mach 1 that we were having trouble getting reasonable looking transonic/low supersonic CD data. The rockets started the coast phase for the CD measurements in the middle of transonic/low supersonic, and were decelerating very rapidly.

It turns out that later we figured out that you have to have the rocket go out to Mach 1.5 to Mach 2, and then after burnout start a somewhat slower deceleration back through supersonic/transonic/subsonic Mach numbers, i.e., don't start the in-flight CD measurements in the middle of transonic.

Some examples of backed-out in-flight CD measurements, compared to RASAero predictions, from the RASAero web site are presented below. They can be found on the RASAero web site on the Comparisons with Flight Data page ( https://www.rasaero.com/comparisons-flight.htm ). Adrian Adamson flew the rockets and backed out the in-flight CD data.

1683317097422.png

1683317187543.png

Yes, progress has continued! Things continue to advance.

Charles E. (Chuck) Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

Last edited:
Back