Universal Astrocam Damaged

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
Please check out the video I posted on YouTube and let me know what you think. Has anything like this ever happened to you? Is this a one in a million fluke occurance?

YouTube: UAC Damaged

It was a cloudy day and the camera was facing forward (up) so initially the video wasn't real clear anyway, but look how the picture quality changes after ejection. Did something snap back at ejection and destroy the camera lens? When I got home and downloaded the video, I thought the lens was dirty. I tried three different methods of cleaning the lens without scratching it. There was no change in picture clarity so I can only assume the lens was damaged. But I didn't know how it was damaged until I saw the change after ejection.

So what do you think?

Flight ID: 20230701 021 Solo AC MP4

I don't have an AstroCAM, so I can't speak from experience but is it possible for the lens to have shifted and ganked the focal length? It's hard to say without it being examined. One would think (hope) that it was built to withstand the pressure of LPR launches facing forward. I'm interested to hear the outcome because I was planning to do this very thing. Maybe I will consider other options.

Starfire74 --

Ouch !

I just bought a universal AstroCAM from erockets.com for my Granddaughters to share but they've not flown it yet.

I hope it is a one-in-a-million occurance !

I will be interested in your resolution if any.

-- kjh

Last edited:
I don't have an AstroCAM, so I can't speak from experience but is it possible for the lens to have shifted and ganked the focal length? It's hard to say without it being examined. One would think (hope) that it was built to withstand the pressure of LPR launches facing forward. I'm interested to hear the outcome because I was planning to do this very thing. Maybe I will consider other options.
I wondered about the pressure with it facing forward, but I don’t think that’s it. It should be able to handle that. And it seems like it changed after ejection.

I wondered about the pressure with it facing forward, but I don’t think that’s it. It should be able to handle that. And it seems like it changed after ejection.

Hmmm .. facing forward ... I just noticed that when I re-viewed your video, and it did seem to be worse after ejection ... is there a bug on the windshield ? :) :) :)

-- kjh

Hmmm .. facing forward ... I just noticed that when I re-viewed your video, and it did seem to be worse after ejection ... is there a bug on the windshield ? :) :) :)

-- kjh
😂 No bugs. I wish that was it.

I cleaned the lens thee times: with screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth, toothpic and cotton (in case it was something really crusted on the lens), and Qtip and alcohol. No change at all. Something got damaged.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the instructions state that the lens must be pointed down.
Yeah, I wonder if that’s to protect the camera or just a recommendation for the best shot/camera angle.

Funny thing is, that’s the first time in two years of use, that I have reversed the camera. …and this happens.

Thanks for the Frame-by-Frame analysis tsmith1315.

I'll keep this in mind when Evie, my 3-going-on-4-year old wants to point the camera forward along the airframe !

-- kjh

EDIT: P.S. The Freeze Frame Fotos are pretty awesome, Tim :)

Last edited:
@Starfire73 --

We finally flew my granddaughters rockets with the Universal AstroCam a couple weeks ago and the videos looked pretty bad.

They were not quite as bad as yours after ejection, but they weren't as clear as what you recorded before ejection.

I submitted a support request to Estes and Denise sent us a new microSD card.

I received the replacement yesterday and I tried taking a short hand-held video today in the front yard with the new microSD.

The video looks MUCH better so far !

We will try it tomorrow on their rockets but I am hopeful ...

Maybe try a different microSD or maybe even reseat the one you've got ?

HTH

-- kjh

Please check out the video I posted on YouTube and let me know what you think. Has anything like this ever happened to you? Is this a one in a million fluke occurance?

YouTube: UAC Damaged

It was a cloudy day and the camera was facing forward (up) so initially the video wasn't real clear anyway, but look how the picture quality changes after ejection. Did something snap back at ejection and destroy the camera lens? When I got home and downloaded the video, I thought the lens was dirty. I tried three different methods of cleaning the lens without scratching it. There was no change in picture clarity so I can only assume the lens was damaged. But I didn't know how it was damaged until I saw the change after ejection.

So what do you think?

Flight ID: 20230701 021 Solo AC MP4
This looks to me like dirt on the lens. I’ve certainly had that happen. A little lens cleaner and Q tip may do the job. Hard to say for sure, but looks in focus, so the lens is in place, but it’s partially blocked by something. Clean it up and let me know if that works.

This looks to me like dirt on the lens. I’ve certainly had that happen. A little lens cleaner and Q tip may do the job. Hard to say for sure, but looks in focus, so the lens is in place, but it’s partially blocked by something. Clean it up and let me know if that works.
I tried several methods of cleaning the lens with no change whatsoever. I’m confident it’s not because it’s dirty.

I tried several methods of cleaning the lens with no change whatsoever. I’m confident it’s not because it’s dirty.
Oh well, sorry, that's the best I have. I do have another Astrocam I damaged and gave up trying to fix, but I don't remember what was wrong with it. I think I still have it somewhere. If I can find it I'll see if it rings any bells about other problems.

Back