Um, BIG tube!?!?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Ok, I love my uncle to pieces. He works for a department store here in Tampa and brings me tubes ranging from 3" in diameter to 8" in diameter regularly. It has gotten to the point where I can choose which to keep and which to toss. Normally, I look at a tube and think, this could turn into something. Well, today he brought a tube home that I just scratched my head at. It's big. It's long. What the heck can I do with it?

All I've seen is a picture of it so far. I have to go to his place to pick it up. From the looks, it is 8 ft. tall and approx 5-6" in diameter. Note the tile which are about 18" X 18". The roof is 8ft tall.

Realistically, I can't do much right now. I only have my Level 1. What they hey...any suggestions are worth an ear.

I'll bet you can get that off the ground and back in one piece with an I357 or I435 (how high? no clue...I'd definitely go short delay on the I357). Depending on the strength and weight of the tube, I'd think a single layer of 2 oz. glass would get you a few launches. I'd wanna cut it in half though because I'd hate to have to fill the whole thing with ejection gases. That's just me, though.

What exactly are these tubes originally used for? If you want this rocket to stay in L1 impulse, I'd go ahead and cut it down to about 4' then glass it with a layer of 4oz. as Kermie said. It would go real nice on Blue Thunder I's.

:eek:
Yep, that's a BIG tube alright. You could probably fly it on an I, but if it were mine, I'd cut it in half, build two identical rockets and have a big ol' drag race. Or maybe a two stage. Or maybe a huge cluster of some sort. Or, maybe it's time to start on your L2 project. Man, that's a good find. I love scrounging tubes. Whatever you do with it, take lots of pictures.

That looks like a prime candidate for a dual deploy L2 project. Throw a 54MM mount in there, and you're all set!

Mark

I've got good friend who works in a lumber yard and one night last week his pickup was backed up to my driveway when I got home from work. He was unloading 4 - 3 1/2 " x 12 ft tubes. He thought I could put them to good use. Right now I am building a 1/7 scale SS1-C Scud from a 4" tube he gave me earlier. I plan on launching it on a J-350 with a couple of my friends launching 1/4 scale patroits following in hot pursuit :)

Back