ultra low cost computer!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no monitor, no keyboard, and they expect kids to use this. I am sorry, but with the fact it does not even come with a case, it will likely not get a UL safety rating at all.

Pretty neat! I wouldn't mind having one to check out.

...and it runs Linux! Kids need to be taught right! I have known about this for a while. At that price, why would you expect a monitor or a keyboard? It uses HDMI for video output, so if you have a recent TV you are fine. Also, keyboards are definitely in the budget when you are only spending $25-35 on the computer. It isn't supposed to be for toddlers, so I doubt the lack of a case will be a problem, especially because it isn't going to be some sort of mass-produced toy made by Mattel sold at Walmart. I am certainly buying one when I can.

i just want to get one and rig it in a 150mm mach rocket to test for mach shockwaves breaking on the nosecone, that would be a fun project you could do on this computer.

Something like this, I think, has possible use as a component in a handheld system for a Telemetrum or Big Red Bee receiver.

-Kevin

This thing has a long ways to go before it's cheap and has software support. The initial board runs are being auction off on Ebay... in the $1000+ range.

It has an ARM processor, so anything compiled for that architecture will work on it. Fedora Linux, for example, with the LXDE desktop environment, will run on it. If you read on the website for the board, the ones that are being auctioned off are at such high prices so they can raise money to support the assembly of the first actual run of the boards. They said there would be something like 10000 of them made in the first run, and each would sell for the estimated $25-$35.

It's intended for embedded development. I really don't see children using it much though without a fair bit of supervision. It wouldn't need a UL listing as it uses a wallwart for power.

Here's something similar that's been around quite a bit longer.

https://beagleboard.org

Latest posts

Back