U.S. Rockets' G008 Motors w/15-sec. Burn

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dluders

Reaction score
Has anybody ever used one of the U.S. Rockets G008 single-use, 29mm motors? They have a 15-SECOND burn time! One is coming in the mail in about a week. I think that I can use such a low-thrust, end-burning motor in a LIGHT rocket on a CALM day without too much problem. Has anybody used a G008, or seen one? Check out the specs at the U.S. Rockets web site https://www.v-serv.com/usr/29mm.htm .

That would be a sweet motor for a saucer. I didn't know Jerry was shipping motors.

Uhhhh........

Thats a soft subject in the rocketry community.......

Thats about all there is to say........

I'll go with Dan on his response. Yeah, Irvine is not a character we need to get into a discussion about. But some of his motors are circulating around, and I don't know if he's shipping or not though, but I guess you should key into some of the underlying connotations in what some of these guys are saying.

At any rate they are NOT certified...after one of TRAs many big tifts with him back in '97 I think it was, all his motors were decertified. I heard his motors were banned from EX launches as well, but were recently granted use, but I'm not sure on that. He is definately not legal, but supposedly is still in "semi" business.

But for the motor we're talking about, I don't think it was ordered from him...it's probably the one on the ROL auction earlier this week, and is probably one of the many still circulating around. I've heard of one G8 used, and it was successful, only it didn't eject. And a point add here....I hear Irvine is also known for unreliability in his products, yet I've also heard that they work very well. I'm not good enough on this subject to say which is true (probably both), but I've heard both sides of the coin on quality.

At any rate, the motor is very rare and probably could be considered a collectors item b/c USR is pretty much nonexistant now, and they did have a significant impact on the hobby "back in the day" (80's). So really it's uncertain on how it will perform, but I don't oppose it...just make sure it's done at an unaffiliated launch with a rocket you'd be willing to loose.

US Rockets are NOT LEGAL!!!! He does not have EX numbers for his propellants. I know someone who ALMOST got arrested at the post office when he was asked to pick up a package from US Rockets at the post office. He showed faxed papers of EX numbers that US Rockets sent them.. but they were Kosdon's. That is not legal either

I've seen Jerry fly a couple as EX motors... they go great in minimum diameter rockets, and that's about it... since they are severely regressive (endburner with a phenolic nozzle throat), by the end of the burn, heavier rockets are usually pointing down :rolleyes: Would make a cool sustainer motor though... I should ask him to try that...

If you order a kit from him, you may or may not get your kit. Jerry has gotten himself in trouble a few times... They fall in the same category as DHC.

Back