Turbo Vortico and Terraformer Informal Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertH3

No need to buy stands after a launch day!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked these up from Rocketarium when I ordered a quad 24mm mount for a 2.6" Goblin sorta upscale I have the parts for. Flew both of them naked at Midwest power and both were successful flyers. Turbo Vortico on an F20W-4 and the Terraformer on a D12-0 I wanted to burn. Both of these are super flyers with good instructions and joined the small Odd-Roc fleet I have.

The Terraformer requires a little bit of a tweak to attach the triangular side plates. I glued the 3 little holding arms on to the center section, waited until glue was grabbing good, then attached the side plate with an Apogee sanding tee as an angle plate to hold it. You have to be able to move the holding arms around a little bit to line up everything, and support the joints until they are dry. I did extensive fillets on both of them, assuming the occasional hard landing.

Turbo Vortico is very straightforward - you need C clamps or a FLAT surface and weights to build.

A couple of the TRA folks thought they would be good upscales, can't hardly imagine a high powered Vortico though. A big Terraformer would need a chute.

Cheers / Robert

A couple of the TRA folks thought they would be good upscales, can't hardly imagine a high powered Vortico though. A big Terraformer would need a chute.

I find this bit really funny, isn't it a modified upscale of an upscale of their original Vortico?
Not saying you are wrong about the Terraformer needing a chute but where would you put it?

Turbo Vortico helicopters down on recovery.
(Actually on ascent as well).
Don't know if a chute is needed on an upscale, but if you do add it on then that would negate the helicoptering on descent.
Extend motor mount a bit on both! :)
Yep, like the Semroc Satellite Killer.
If the chute sticks out a bit that's OK.
Also the LOC Cool Spool is another example.

Back