Tube coupler fit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STRMan

Reaction score
I've been in the process of building a Centuri Stiletto 2 stager from Semroc parts. I'm just about ready for paint.

Mar08_0001.jpg

My question is how tight should the booster section fit to the sustainer section? It seems like these fit pretty tightly together. Is there an accepted description of how tight this junction should be? I've been trying to sand the inside of the coupler down a bit by wrapping and taping an engine with 400 grit sand paper and twisting it inside the coupler. So far, it has helped a bit, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other thoughts on this issue. Would graphite powder possibly help?

For staging, I'd make it tight enough that the booster will stay on, with the motor, when you lift the rocket by the sustainer. Though should be loose enough that it will come out when you shake the sustainer.

For staging, I'd make it tight enough that the booster will stay on, with the motor, when you lift the rocket by the sustainer. Though should be loose enough that it will come out when you shake the sustainer.

Thanks. Then my coupler is WAY to tight. I guess I'll keep sanding away.

Back