TTW?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Phoenix is an AMAZING kit...I love that one! Great stock, and also great to beef up a bit for 24mm reloads (which will require more nose weight, btw).

This kit really can't use TTW techniques, as the motor mount is recessed into the back of the body tube to help with stability, and the strakes are too high to hit the mmt.

I had a Phoenix for MANY years that I built with basswood fins/strakes and a stronger motor mount tube to fly my 24/40 RMS casing in, and was NEVER disappointed...well, until I had a failed ejection and it made for the ground like a homesick gopher.

In any case - this kit is tops, and you'll love it!

The Phoenix is an AMAZING kit...I love that one! Great stock, and also great to beef up a bit for 24mm reloads (which will require more nose weight, btw).

This kit really can't use TTW techniques, as the motor mount is recessed into the back of the body tube to help with stability, and the strakes are too high to hit the mmt.

I had a Phoenix for MANY years that I built with basswood fins/strakes and a stronger motor mount tube to fly my 24/40 RMS casing in, and was NEVER disappointed...well, until I had a failed ejection and it made for the ground like a homesick gopher.

In any case - this kit is tops, and you'll love it!

+1 Mine is 16 years old and still flying. Great flights on the 24/40 motor. Mine is built stock, Balsa fins, MMT, etc. I would suggest adding a coupler to the bottom of the body tube, stiffens it up a bit. I did not do that when built, but smeared some epoxy resin inside instead when I repainted it. Do a good job attaching those bottom fins, they are subject to cracking at the glue joints. I solved that problem by using a bigger chute. (nylon) A 4 foot or longer launch rod is also a good idea, especially if you are going to be launching on D12's or similar. You will enjoy it!!

Pheonix.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah - forgot to mention smearing a bunch of epoxy on the inside of the BT below the MMT...good move! I did that, too.

Oh yeah - forgot to mention smearing a bunch of epoxy on the inside of the BT below the MMT...good move! I did that, too.

After epoxy is shmeared on, install a 1.5 - 2 inch conical tail cone. Not only will it look a lot cooler, it will make 1st contact with the ground. This will prevent a lot of damage to the small bottom fins because the tail cone will take the brunt of the impact by being the first part of the rocket to hit upon landing.

OK, someone has to say it, so it might as well be me. I've been wondering for awhile now....
What is "MicroMaxx"?

Micro Maxx motors are the smallest impluse motors currently available they are 1/8A.5-1 6mm OD x about 1" long.
Chris was kidding about using TTW fins on these tiny .281 OD models.

This Thread is partly what inspired my Fiberglassed TTW 13mm AIM-120 AMRAAM.

TAILconeDoNe13mmamraam 004.jpg

After epoxy is shmeared on, install a 1.5 - 2 inch conical tail cone. Not only will it look a lot cooler, it will make 1st contact with the ground. This will prevent a lot of damage to the small bottom fins because the tail cone will take the brunt of the impact by being the first part of the rocket to hit upon landing.

bradycros, do you mean a pre-made Urethane Tailcone?

I assume he means to make a Tail Cone from Cardstock.
Personally, I'de just reinforce the Body Tube at the Tail as suggested and call it good.
Adding a Tail Cone would make it near impossible to get your fingers high enough in there to access your Motor, not to mention ruining the "Scale".

Personally, I'de just reinforce the Body Tube at the Tail as suggested and call it good.
Adding a Tail Cone would make it near impossible to get your fingers high enough in there to access your Motor, not to mention ruining the "Scale".

Alright, I'm concerned about altering the scale look......I'll reinforce the body tube with a coupler.

Alright, I'm concerned about altering the scale look......I'll reinforce the body tube with a coupler.

You can buy a ready-made fiber glass or balsa tail cone for a BT-80 from www.madcowrocketry.com or make a custom card stock tail cone using the transition tool at www.payloadbay.com

The front end of this Estes rocket is no where close to scale. Google some pictures and see for yourself. Keep in mind that there are different model numbers of this missile.

So do yourself a favor... take some artistic license (like Estes did) and put on that cool looking tail cone.

As for motor access, it would be just the same as many TLP rockets. Not a problem.

Reinforceing the bottom of the body tube will stiffen it up for sure, but that doesn't stop the fins from taking a direct hit upon landing. 'Snap, Crackle or Pop', there goes the fin and the paint job, along with some of the decals.

The bottom fins could be of TTW G-10. That is some tough stuff.

Last edited:
While “Through the wall” attachment of fins helps in some circumstances it doesn’t do much good if the fins are so big and fragile that they self-destruct should the rocket experience even a moderately hard landing. Sure the joint will survive but the remainder of the fin; not so much.

Now instead of just slicing the damaged fin off the outside of the tube you have to either dig out the root or sand down the broken fin and attach the new one to the root of the old one.

I once saw a large HP rocket that had TTW fins wherein one of the fins had had the outer 2/3rds broken off. The owner just glued a replacement fin onto the side of the stub making that fin offset from the centerline.

The rocket flew fine.

TTFN!!

The rear fins on this thing cannot go TTW, as the motor mount is recessed. I did the smear of epoxy on the rear of the tube, and put a bigger parachute in it. I also replaced the balsa rear fins with basswood so they would stand up to the landings better. Never had issues with the fins, honestly. The tailcone would be nice, but I have fat hands...lol...getting to that MMT would be a pain with the tail cone...especially since I also would put a wrap of wire around the motor and hook to keep my 24mm casing from kicking out.

TTW does not necessarily add weight. Those fin tabs can replace or supplement some of the centering rings in your motor mount, and you can control how long the tab is, making the arrangement lighter. You can control weight using smart design. TTW does not determine a modeler's IQ. Quality engineering, design & construction does.

Well everyone....I've read a lot of different opinions and discovered some new techniques. I'll be sure to put up some pics when I finish the build. Thank you to everyone for your posts!

Back