Troubleshooting a broken dryer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to help a friend with her clothes dryer (LG DLEX3700V). She used it for one load the other day, then when starting the second it just made a buzzing noise but wouldn't spin.

I figured it was a belt issue but that was completely intact and the tensioner is working correctly. The drum rotates smoothly, and when I spin it, the motor turns. The fan unit also spins smoothly. The buzzing noise appears to be coming from the motor itself, but when I removed it, as far as I can tell with a meter all the windings are intact (though it's possible I'm testing the wrong terminals).

Any other obvious thoughts on what to test next?

At a quick glance, I'm not finding anything in this dryer that resembles the start capacitors in hobie1dog's video or others I've found online. Could it be integrated into the motor itself?

Here's what I see:
1708337522731.png1708337538135.png

Suggest searching YouTube, there are a zillion repair videos on there. If your issue s a known common symptom you will find lots of videos about it.

It'll take some time to find the right search terms but keep at it.

Suggest searching YouTube, there are a zillion repair videos on there. If your issue s a known common symptom you will find lots of videos about it.

It'll take some time to find the right search terms but keep at it.
I'll keep doing that, but it's what I'd been doing off and on the last couple of days. Really thought I'd isolated it to the motor but then it passed in every way I knew to test.

Start cap is likely to be much smaller than in the video. I’d first look on on near the motor.

Search the model# for a parts diagram. Places like applianceparts.com have exploded views with links to the replacement parts.

It’s probably cheap enough to buy one and try it.

I wonder if it is integrated. Nothing came up last night when searching the parts list for capacitor.

Edit - found a few q&a conversations online regarding the specific motor with indications that it doesn't have one. Might be time to take a risk on ordering a replacement motor.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how old is her dryer?

I still have a working Kenmore gas dryer from the 80s (belt replaced twice), but I've had to replace multiple washers (including an LG) because of electronics issues like this. Most of the replacements were before all the great fix info available on the internet.
Growing up and into my mid twenties there wasn't anything I couldn't fix, but at some point, products became made to not be user serviceable and in many ways "disposable".
Luckily a small industry has formed for DIY repair of washers and a few years back I found repair circuit boards and repair services for those boards in ebay - helpful if you've already diagnosed the issue through a good search with some luck added too.

I've seen 2019 on several parts, so no older than that. As long as it's just a motor, I'm perfectly willing to replace that. Just wanted to be confident that I'm on the right track before doing so.

I've seen 2019 on several parts, so no older than that. As long as it's just a motor, I'm perfectly willing to replace that. Just wanted to be confident that I'm on the right track before doing so.
Wow, 2019 is much too new. It's sad how quickly appliances fail nowadays. Good luck with fixing it!

Have you checked the power supply to the motor? If the power supply has failed and is not sending enough power to start and run the motor, that could also cause it to buzz.

Tony

Have you checked the power supply to the motor? If the power supply has failed and is not sending enough power to start and run the motor, that could also cause it to buzz.

Tony
I have not. To be honest, I'm not sure how to test that with a meter. Definitely interested in doing so given a bit of guidance though.

Unlikely the motor. You can buy one off Amazon and they will probably accept the return if you are very careful when you try it to make sure it looks like new when returned. If it works, return it and buy the OEM version.

https://www.amazon.com/GLOB-PRO-SOLUTIONS-DPH224L01-DMP270L3/dp/B0BMCL4RHS

If its not the motor then its likely that the motor driving board/controller is bad. Motors are reliable, boards are not. The controller sends power to both the start and run field windings. If the drive to the armature is bad and just current is going to the field windings, it will hum, or vice versa.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with appliances parts direct videos. Fixed washer and dryer multiple times.

Unlikely the motor. You can buy one off Amazon and they will probably accept the return if you are very careful when you try it to make sure it looks like new when returned. If it works, return it and buy the OEM version.

https://www.amazon.com/GLOB-PRO-SOLUTIONS-DPH224L01-DMP270L3/dp/B0BMCL4RHS

If its not the motor then its likely that the motor driving board/controller is bad. Motors are reliable, boards are not. The controller sends power to both the start and run field windings. If the drive to the armature is bad and just current is going to the field windings, it will hum, or vice versa.
I've got a cheap motor on the way to test Wednesday. Thanks for the suggestions re the controller board - I'll try to find info on testing that.

I wonder if you put the old motor back in if it would work.....

I wonder if you put the old motor back in if it would work.....
It's entirely possible. I didn't get rid of the old one, but by the time it was assembled enough to test with the replacement, I didn't feel like reversing the steps to re-test the original. Hopefully she'll hang onto it just in case.

Never put a used part back in.

I lesson learned the hard way that almost cost me a trip to Balls and got me pulled over along the way to boot. All due to alternator that the NAPA guy tested and said was good.
Stupidest $80 I've ever "saved."

Back