Tripoli EX rules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Barney

Reaction score
I was wondering what the agreed propulsion for tripoli EX launches is? I know APCP, hybrids.. well specifically I was wondering if they'd be cool with me flying a CO2 pressurized water rocket (with deployment and all) I've seen plans online where the chamber (bottle) isnt presurized until launch time when the CO2 valve is punctured remotely.

I personally think it'd be funny when all these people are bringing their O's and then I go and fly abunch of 2L bottles glued together.

So, is that allowed?

Originally posted by WillMarchant
This sounds like fun! Could you post a URL to the plans, please?

I think we found outboard motors for the SatV ;)

Ben

I'm not convinced that this even falls under the rules so it would be up to the RSO/club officers to make the call. I know people flew the Estes hydrogen rocket at my NAR club and nobody said a thing. You might be asked to set up away from the main launch line but away from the crowd.

Come to MDRA, they'd find a way to accommodate. This guy flew a compressed air boosted rocket there: https://www.creamyrobotgoodness.com/

oops, my eye caught Will's location instead of yours. Build it, send it to us, and we'll give it a try :)

Originally posted by Brian Barney
I was wondering what the agreed propulsion for tripoli EX launches is? I know APCP, hybrids.. well specifically I was wondering if they'd be cool with me flying a CO2 pressurized water rocket (with deployment and all) I've seen plans online where the chamber (bottle) isnt presurized until launch time when the CO2 valve is punctured remotely.

I personally think it'd be funny when all these people are bringing their O's and then I go and fly abunch of 2L bottles glued together.

So, is that allowed?

If you're an L2 Tripoli member, and it's not considered a 'liquid' propellant, I think it would be ok. Propellants are limited to APCP, Sugar/KN and Hybrids. BP motors are not allowed. All the rocket motor definitions in the Research Safety Code refer to 'oxidizers', so a pressure-only non-combustion rocket might not be considered a rocket motor. See: https://www.tripoli.org/documents/ResearchSafetyCode200602.pdf

Of course, you could always just launch it without requiring an organized launch, as long as you have landowner permission. FAA notification and waiver regulations still apply.

-John

heres the URL CO2 power rocket

I will modify it slightly as that requires you to hold the rocket and drop it on the pad to puncture the co2 cartridge, I was thinking a small bp charge driving a piston into the bottom to puncture the charge, but other than that the same basic setup.. that one doesnt have recovery, but I could use a cheap MAD (although an advanced accelerometer could give you an idea of the motor thrustcurve, but as it 'thrusts' it loses alot of weight, so in theory it should be a progressive 'burn')

I would do it in my town, but I live in an extremely lame town, no projectiles of any kind are allowed, no airsoft guns, nothing. I guess I could try it at my clubs launch site the day before when they havent 'reserved' the land

I was thinking of doing it at LDRS for grins during the EX days as my club doesnt do EX launches (prolly cali law issues)

Originally posted by jsdemar
If you're an L2 Tripoli member, and it's not considered a 'liquid' propellant, I think it would be ok. Propellants are limited to APCP, Sugar/KN and Hybrids. BP motors are not allowed. All the rocket motor definitions in the Research Safety Code refer to 'oxidizers', so a pressure-only non-combustion rocket might not be considered a rocket motor. See: https://www.tripoli.org/documents/ResearchSafetyCode200602.pdf

Of course, you could always just launch it without requiring an organized launch, as long as you have landowner permission. FAA notification and waiver regulations still apply.

-John

Also another to add to the list of allowed is ANCP.

Back