Training Film for German Ground Crew of FZG76 V-1 (1944)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Many great shots of V1 internal components in operation.

Training Film for German Ground Crew of FZG76 V-1 (1944)

[video=youtube;MNnbDEoh8Do]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnbDEoh8Do[/video]

I wondered about the trailing wire antenna shown and found this:

https://www.vectorsite.net/twcruz_2.html

"Some of the V-1s were fitted with a radio transmitter and a trailing antenna wire so that their flight could be monitored. In some cases, the bombs were "shadowed" by fast aircraft like the Messerschmitt 410 twin-engine fighter to observe their flight."

This makes sense for test and development since this film looks like it was made at Peenemunde with some field operational launch footage at the end. I don't know if trailing wire antennas and transmitters were used on operational flights. However, an animation in this film (starting around the 25 minute point) has the V1 apparently transmitting a radio signal home just after crossing the English coastline. A survival indication or for RDF? Anyone here speak German who can tell me what comment they make about that in the film?

Modern ground test of Argus As 014 V1 pulsejet:

[video=youtube;Rdwbp6R2qM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdwbp6R2qM8[/video]

Perhaps used for training of crews on US copies of the missile launched from ship.

Also be sure to view the movie Operation Crossbow.

Modern ground test of Argus As 014 V1 pulsejet:

Well this is very interesting and for me mysterious... the video was deleted from the youtube user account but obviously not from youtube, you found it ... The German wordings just means: running low or high or with fan added (to simulate speed I presume). The most interesting part is the little text below it. Obviously this is NOT and original one but a brand new one built with maybe original tools and plans by someone that is obviously pissed off to answer questions (or to be assimilated as a Nazi?). Again this comes from the pulse jet scene in Germany I presume. I could try to find out more, I have some connections. One is for sure: to build and run this you MUST have a great knowledge, documentation and obviously testing facilities. I could bet this has been done by enthusiasts with support of some large German aerospace corporations but covered with some secrecy to avoid trouble with families of victims of 2nd world war, or any particular troubles. People do not like when Germans rebuild historical artefacts/technologies from that period. In fact it has some "taste"... I bet the guy that built that engine could easily build the rest of the V1 from scratch... now explain the public that you want to test it *lol*...

I found this too.
[video=youtube_share;WCsKs2NhdWg]https://youtu.be/WCsKs2NhdWg[/video]

and this
[video=youtube_share;v8PF5DtX_Fg]https://youtu.be/v8PF5DtX_Fg[/video]

Well this is very interesting and for me mysterious... the video was deleted from the youtube user account but obviously not from youtube, you found it ... The German wordings just means: running low or high or with fan added (to simulate speed I presume). The most interesting part is the little text below it. Obviously this is NOT and original one but a brand new one built with maybe original tools and plans by someone that is obviously pissed off to answer questions (or to be assimilated as a Nazi?). Again this comes from the pulse jet scene in Germany I presume. I could try to find out more, I have some connections. One is for sure: to build and run this you MUST have a great knowledge, documentation and obviously testing facilities. I could bet this has been done by enthusiasts with support of some large German aerospace corporations but covered with some secrecy to avoid trouble with families of victims of 2nd world war, or any particular troubles. People do not like when Germans rebuild historical artefacts/technologies from that period. In fact it has some "taste"... I bet the guy that built that engine could easily build the rest of the V1 from scratch... now explain the public that you want to test it *lol*...
"People do not like when Germans rebuild historical artefacts/technologies from that period."

I think that hyper-sensitivity may be primarily in Germany where this modern V1 pulsejet was apparently built and tested. I can understand that. However, in the US, most of us have the ability to separate a fascination with an ahead-of-its-time technological device from those who misused it.

Are you German speaking? If you could tell me what they're saying at 13:44 onward in the training video where they talk the most about the trailing wire antenna I'd appreciate it.

Wow! these are some cool videos too. I'm gonna have to watch these too.

David

large.jpg

Last edited:
has anyone ever built a scale flying rocket of the V-1? A boost glider version?; It doesn't look like it would be a very good glider.

David

has anyone ever built a scale flying rocket of the V-1? A boost glider version?; It doesn't look like it would be a very good glider.

David
I vaguely recall seeing a video of a launch somewhere. Agree that it wouldn't be much of a glider. I did a quick search on YouTube and only found this very impressive, scratch-built RC version:

[video=youtube;Hk80TrtfGKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk80TrtfGKc[/video]

[video=youtube;k8-wp9TeO88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8-wp9TeO88[/video]

The R/C V1 is a ducted fan, most likely with a 2 stroke gas engine. Years ago there was a company that made model pulse-jet engines in at least two sizes. I have heard the smaller run and it is LOUD, about 130 db. It was about 30 inches long and maybe 3 inches at the biggest part. The R/C plane is much too quiet.

I've seen two scale models. One was a high power scratch-build a long time ago, which flew well enough. The other was a kit from a German company, Das Modell, a.k.a. Noris, which did not fly very well. It didn't have enough nose weight and was unstable; with more nose weight added, it was marginally stable and flew rather more like a real V-1 than its owner would have liked! Neither were boost gliders.

The R/C V1 is a ducted fan, most likely with a 2 stroke gas engine. Years ago there was a company that made model pulse-jet engines in at least two sizes. I have heard the smaller run and it is LOUD, about 130 db. It was about 30 inches long and maybe 3 inches at the biggest part. The R/C plane is much too quiet.
No, vastly more common these days are EDFs, electric ducted fans. That's what the guy in that video is using. Haven't seen an pulsejet powered RC V1 on YouTube, just EDFs. That company from years ago you are referring to was probably Dynajet. The Chinese (hobbyking.com) now make a $100 clone of one.

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing it.

Are you German speaking? If you could tell me what they're saying at 13:44 onward in the training video where they talk the most about the trailing wire antenna I'd appreciate it.

The antenna is 140m (456ft) long. It gets deployed by the timer, shortly before timer ends the cruise and starts the dive. Deployment takes about a second. It is used to determine the location of the weapon to assess the accuracy of the system. It is not used on every V1, only some are sampled.

Reinhard

The antenna is 140m (456ft) long. It gets deployed by the timer, shortly before timer ends the cruise and starts the dive. Deployment takes about a second. It is used to determine the location of the weapon to assess the accuracy of the system. It is not used on every V1, only some are sampled. Reinhard
Thank you! I've done a lot of research on the V1 and couldn't find anything on that. The book I have on the V1 doesn't even mention a transmitter or antenna at all.

What you describe makes complete sense because the Brits compromised German agents in England and gave them the choice of becoming double agents or being executed. They then used them to, among other things, radio intentionally incorrect impact points for V1s and V2s to throw off German targeting. I wonder if the V1 transmitter you describe was used just for time of flight determination and therefore an approximate impact point determination or if RDF was also used. Perhaps they came to not trust the targeting data from their compromised agents in which case the Brits would have kept the attempted German countermeasure secret. Perhaps for that reason, even the presence of a transmitter on the V1 isn't mentioned in historical accounts, let alone its purpose.

Last edited:
BTW, assuming a full wave antenna, 140m equates to 2.14MHz transmit frequency. 1/2 wave 1.07Mhz, 1/4 wave 535 kHz. I would love to know more about that system.

What you describe makes complete sense because the Brits compromised German agents in England and gave them the choice of becoming double agents or being executed. They then used them to, among other things, radio intentionally incorrect impact points for V1s and V2s to throw off German targeting. I wonder if the V1 transmitter you describe was used just for time of flight determination and therefore an approximate impact point determination or if RDF was also used. Perhaps they came to not trust the targeting data from their compromised agents in which case the Brits would have kept the attempted German countermeasure secret. Perhaps for that reason, even the presence of a transmitter on the V1 isn't mentioned in historical accounts, let alone its purpose.

Interestingly, according to the Wikipedia article, it was the other way. The Germans noted the difference between intelligence reports and tracking data, but they trusted the turned around agents and presumed the transmitters faulty:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb#Deception

The transmitters were used in the first targeting technique, called Kirschkernverfahren (which translates to cherry seed technique, a reference to spitting cherry seeds). The first V1s in a salvo were fitted with the transmitters. This tracking data was then used to adjust the settings (compass and odometer) of the following rounds.

The transmitter used on the V1 was the FuG 23. The German Wikipedia article is here:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/FuG_23
It was used with Adcock antennas on the receiving ends:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adcock_antenna

The user manual of the V1 is available online. Part 5 covers the transmitter:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fieseler_Fi-103_Gerätehandbuch_Teil_5.pdf?uselang=en
The scan quality is rather low. If you need a particular translation, let me know.

Reinhard

Winston,

I am glad my friend Reinhard from Austria did translate and research for you much quicker as I could. Obviously university students have still more time than business men *lol*... Reinhard, danke für deine Recherche, sehr interessant...

Interestingly, according to the Wikipedia article, it was the other way. The Germans noted the difference between intelligence reports and tracking data, but they trusted the turned around agents and presumed the transmitters faulty:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb#Deception

The transmitters were used in the first targeting technique, called Kirschkernverfahren (which translates to cherry seed technique, a reference to spitting cherry seeds). The first V1s in a salvo were fitted with the transmitters. This tracking data was then used to adjust the settings (compass and odometer) of the following rounds.

The transmitter used on the V1 was the FuG 23. The German Wikipedia article is here:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/FuG_23
It was used with Adcock antennas on the receiving ends:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adcock_antenna

The user manual of the V1 is available online. Part 5 covers the transmitter:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fieseler_Fi-103_Gerätehandbuch_Teil_5.pdf?uselang=en
The scan quality is rather low. If you need a particular translation, let me know.

Reinhard
Ha! Wikipedia! I often go there for tech stuff, but never thought they'd have such great info on the V1. Many thanks for those links and for the translation help! I will look at them all.

From the information and links you kindly provided and using Google translate, I've pieced together this:

The FuG 23 was part of a tracking device used by the German Air Force in the Second World War in about every tenth Fieseler Fi 103 ("V1") launched. Approximately 60 km (37 mi) from the intended target, the 140 m (459 ft) trailing wire antenna on the rear of the V1 was deployed and the 25W FuG 23 transmitter with a >250 km (>155 mi) range turned on, both activated by the propeller-driven distance traveled counter mounted in the nose of the V1 which counted down the distance to the target set prior to launch. The FuG 23's frequency of transmission was selected via jumper connections in a parallel capacitor array. After antenna deployment, a motorized signaling device keyed the transmitter to send a particular letter in Morse code. Through cross bearing radio direction finding, the V1's course and impact site were determined.

I've looked through this document trying to find any reference to "frequenz" and found a few, including an "Achtung!" warning, but don't see anything numeric about setting the transmitter's frequency of operation:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Fieseler_Fi-103_Gerätehandbuch_Teil_5.pdf

If the frequency was set in the field, I believe there would be a table of capacitor array jumper settings versus frequency somewhere, so perhaps the frequency was set at the transmitter's factory and just written on the transmitter unit?

Ha! Wikipedia! I often go there for tech stuff, but never thought they'd have such great info on the V1.
Back in the day it was: "All roads lead to Rome", nowadays it's: "All Google queries lead to Wikipedia". ;)

The FuG 23 was part of a tracking device used by the German Air Force in the Second World War in about every tenth Fieseler Fi 103 ("V1") launched. Approximately 60 km (37 mi) from the intended target, the 140 m (459 ft) trailing wire antenna on the rear of the V1 was deployed and the 25W FuG 23 transmitter with a >250 km (>155 mi) range turned on, both activated by the propeller-driven distance traveled counter mounted in the nose of the V1 which counted down the distance to the target set prior to launch. The FuG 23's frequency of transmission was selected via jumper connections in a parallel capacitor array. After antenna deployment, a motorized signaling device keyed the transmitter to send a particular letter in Morse code. Through cross bearing radio direction finding, the V1's course and impact site were determined.

Looks pretty spot on (based on my limited understanding).

I've looked through this document trying to find any reference to "frequenz" and found a few, including an "Achtung!" warning, but don't see anything numeric about setting the transmitter's frequency of operation:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Fieseler_Fi-103_Gerätehandbuch_Teil_5.pdf

If the frequency was set in the field, I believe there would be a table of capacitor array jumper settings versus frequency somewhere, so perhaps the frequency was set at the transmitter's factory and just written on the transmitter unit?

I'm not sure how the process works in detail. The manual references a "settings table", but it is not part of the manual. I don't know why it is missing, but the scan quality is really bad, so I might have overlooked something essential. One speculation on my part is, that it might be related to the component tolerances (traditionally high for capacitors and inductors). Maybe the different transmitters vary significantly, so the table might be specific for every individual device.

From what I can gather, the rough tuning happens by cutting out jumpers next to capacitors with a wire cutter according to the afore mentioned table. There is an adjustable capacitor too, which is used for fine tuning in conjunction with quartz crystal based reference/test tool. The tool used is a PKQ2, pictures can be found here:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunken_pruef_quarz_kontrollgeraet_pqk_2_anf_z_ln_fi.html
https://www.historische-messgeraete.de/aktive-messgeraete/pruefsender/pqk2.php
https://www.dm2ebi.de/pqk.htm

The second link contains a schematic (see the entry labeled "Schaltplan").

Reinhard

Back in the day it was: "All roads lead to Rome", nowadays it's: "All Google queries lead to Wikipedia". ;)
Yes, but I had ignored Wikipedia hits because I'd read what they had a few years ago and didn't count on them adding so much more since then. It now looks like the best source for general V1 info. Once complete, I will add this compiled info into it and reference the on-line sources you provided.

I'm not sure how the process works in detail. The manual references a "settings table", but it is not part of the manual. I don't know why it is missing, but the scan quality is really bad, so I might have overlooked something essential. One speculation on my part is, that it might be related to the component tolerances (traditionally high for capacitors and inductors). Maybe the different transmitters vary significantly, so the table might be specific for every individual device.

From what I can gather, the rough tuning happens by cutting out jumpers next to capacitors with a wire cutter according to the afore mentioned table. There is an adjustable capacitor too, which is used for fine tuning in conjunction with quartz crystal based reference/test tool. The tool used is a PKQ2, pictures can be found here:
That makes very good sense. Capacitors in a tuned circuit are a cheap way to tune, but their wide tolerances would prohibit consistent accuracy from unit to unit. Perhaps that settings table was attached to the transmitter or inside one of its panels, the exact frequencies for jumper setting pre-measured at the factory. Does that manual say that the field personnel were the persons required to set the frequency of operation?

About that PKQ2:

Two frequency ranges switchable
range 1: 300 ... 600 kHz
range 2: 3 ... 6 MHz

Does that manual say that the field personnel were the persons required to set the frequency of operation?

The launch preparations list looks about like this:
A1) - A5)
Filling and testing of the tanks (compressed gas, fuel)

B1)
Check of on-board electrical systems

B2)
Preparations of batteries (this includes a 1000V "anode battery" weighing ~45lbs :eyepop:)

B3)
Installation of batteries

B4)
Test and setup of transmitter

C)
Lifting of missile into adjustment fixture

D)
Installation of igniters

E)
Checks of control system and entering of targeting data (heading, distance)

F)
Setting missile down on transport cart

G)
Putting missile on launch pad

H)
Connecting missile to launch controller

There is no verbiage, that indicates if the steps have to be performed strictly in sequence, but most steps depend on the previous one, so it is a least implied. The transport cart does not look like it is suitable to transport the missile for long distances and the sketch of the adjustment fixture shows it in a closed building. The batteries are stored refrigerated and heated up before use. I'd say the transmitter is set up in the field, but in this case this includes some infrastructure.

Reinhard

There is no verbiage, that indicates if the steps have to be performed strictly in sequence, but most steps depend on the previous one, so it is a least implied. The transport cart does not look like it is suitable to transport the missile for long distances and the sketch of the adjustment fixture shows it in a closed building. The batteries are stored refrigerated and heated up before use. I'd say the transmitter is set up in the field, but in this case this includes some infrastructure. Reinhard
Thanks again for the help. Was that information was contained in the V1 manual here?:

I ask because I need to point to the source material when adding this information to the Wikipedia V1 page.

I think I may have some clues about the V1 tracking frequency. This WWII era navigation system also used Adcock antenna arrays:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Frequency_radio_range

"The low-frequency radio range (LFR), also known as the four-course radio range, LF/MF four-course radio range, A-N radio range, Adcock radio range, or commonly "the range", was the main navigation system used by aircraft for instrument flying in the 1930s and 1940s, until the advent of the VHF omnidirectional range (VOR), beginning in the late 1940s."

"The stations emitted directional electromagnetic radiation at 190 to 535 kHz..."

"Pilots navigated the LFR by listening to a stream of automated "A" and "N" Morse codes. For example, they would turn the aircraft to the right when hearing an "N" stream ("dah-dit, dah-dit, ..."), to the left when hearing an "A" stream ("di-dah, di-dah, ..."), and fly straight ahead while hearing a steady tone."

That last bit sounds just like the Morse code letter technique sent by the V1's electromechanical transmitter keyer, but the letter used would not have been 'A' or 'N' and would be chosen in association with the particular V1 launched.

Reference to the use of Adcock antenna arrays for tracking the V1:

https://www.gyges.dk/fliegerhorst_grove16.htm

"This type of Adcock [antenna array] was used to track the FuG 23 transmitter employed in a small percentage of all V-1 launched in order to get an indication of the accuracy of the missile."

https://www.gyges.dk/Fu Peil 70 (Small).jpg

From my previous comment:

"140m [trailing wire antenna length] equates to 2.14MHz transmit frequency, 1/2 wave 1.07Mhz, 1/4 wave 535 kHz."

Considering that 1/4 wave antennas are commonly used and the available frequency ranges of the PKQ2 (Range 1: 300 ... 600 kHz; Range 2: 3 ... 6 MHz), it appears that the V1's were probably transmitting around 535 kHz. That makes sense according to the reported trailing wire antenna length and the fact that the popular airborne radio navigation system of the time used that frequency so there would have been a large amount of navigation electronics related to that system already in existence. They were basically placing within the V1 a much lower power version the portion of the LFR radio navigation system that would have normally been in a fixed facility on the ground. They may have been using the edge of the band to reduce the chance of interference from actual ground-based LFR systems because such systems normally avoid the edges of their allocated bands to reduce the chance of someone just outside their band interfering with them.

Thanks again for the help. Was that information was contained in the V1 manual here?:

I ask because I need to point to the source material when adding this information to the Wikipedia V1 page.

I got it from the next part:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Fieseler_Fi-103_Gerätehandbuch_Teil_6.pdf

Regarding the frequency, I haven't found an official source, but the following list claims 340 - 500kHz for the FuG 23.
https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/downloads/Bilder/DiverseBilder/DiverseTeile/Antenne/funkgerate.htm

Your reasoning for 535kHz is quite sound though, in my opinion, so I wouldn't discount it solely based on this list above.

Reinhard

I got it from the next part:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Fieseler_Fi-103_Gerätehandbuch_Teil_6.pdf

Regarding the frequency, I haven't found an official source, but the following list claims 340 - 500kHz for the FuG 23.
https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/downloads/Bilder/DiverseBilder/DiverseTeile/Antenne/funkgerate.htm

Your reasoning for 535kHz is quite sound though, in my opinion, so I wouldn't discount it solely based on this list above.

Reinhard
Thanks again for the help. I suspect there must be an English translation of that FZG76 operations manual somewhere just as there is for the A4/V2 since the US and the UK both experimented with them. Unfortunately, I haven't found one on-line.

Back