tracking with radio instead of gps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnout

Reaction score
I tried searching but couldn't find it.
Is there a beacon that I can use in mid size rockets? My buddy has radio equipment and we prefer to use that instead of gps. Any examples out there?

I've used Luggage Locators with some success. Their range isn't stellar, but with some antenna extension and some ingenuity they can be useful for farther distances or heavier foliage areas.

Check out BigRedBee.com. There are others. Many require a ham license.
Thanks. My friend has a license,or at least he did at one point. He probably needs to renew it but he has antennas and radios already.

Most if not all require a ham license, many do not realize this. Com-spec is one which operates on 220mhz and many people mistakenly believe it is license free, it isn't.

Thanks for the recommendations. An order with bigredbee seems imminent.

Anyone know what is up with Bigredbee? I sent an E-mail 5 days ago and have not gotten an answer yet.

I'm just getting into tracking, and BRB is the route I'm taking. It is the most flexible RDF beacon for rocketry use available. The others have their transmit frequency hardwired into them, and transmission content can only be programmed at the factory. The BRB beacon comes with an interface and software that allows the user to select the transmit frequency and content. It is also inexpensive, at $85.

Anyone know what is up with Bigredbee? I sent an E-mail 5 days ago and have not gotten an answer yet.

Highly unusual, in my experience! Greg is usually very responsive; I just got a new GPS from him a few weeks ago.

-Kevin

I'm here -- resend the email, perhaps it got lost in my inbox.....

greg at bigredbee.com

Thanks Greg.
To clear things up my friend is the one that E-mailed Bigredbee and apparently he sent the message to the wrong address. I sent my own E-mail and Greg replied within minutes:clap:.

Latest posts

Back