BMP390 pressure sensor interference with telemetry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beretta

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to find more information about using the BMP390 for my rocket team's payload flight computer. The payload is basically a self-landing UAS. I am designing a 2x2in PCB to include a Teensy microcontroller communicating with a RFM95 LoRa telemetry radio, BNO055 IMU (using the raw readings due to sensor fusion issues), and external connections to two electronics speed controllers, an Adafruit Ultimate GPS, and a single pyro channel. The RFM95 radio is what I am worried about interfering with the BMP. It will be waiting to receive instructions to deploy mid-descent and also potentially transmitting its lat/long.

I can't find much documentation on this subject so I am leaning towards ditching the BMP390 for something like a MS5611 (which doesn't have reliable breakout boards online it seems). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I attached a 3D view of the PCB, the BMP390 is currently mounted on the back.
1703008578686.png

Why would you want to ditch the BMP390 without evidence that RF interference would be a problem and using a MS6511 won't be?

Why would you want to ditch the BMP390 without evidence that RF interference would be a problem and using a MS6511 won't be?
The talks about EMI is just something I have seen in other forum replies against using a BMP388/390 sensor with telemetry. I am ordering parts for a breadboard model very soon so I just wanted to get ahead of the curve if it a well-known problem.

I have to believe n todays "Internet of things" world no advanced semiconductor company (Bosch) is going to have a sensor that is sensitive to RF. I have a BMP688 on tiny board next to a 1W 900mhz radio and there are no issues, Just follow best pcb practices and it should be fine.

Last edited:
Back